Completed render and missing vents :(

Mandana

Hi guys

The ‘envelope’ on our SIPs house was completed yesterday ... that’s the great news. 

Not such great news is we’ve discovered some vents in the base course are missing. 

The builder will be sending the groundworkers back to carefully cut out blocks to retro-fit these vents. The problem is the base course has been rendered, so it’s a major job, and it may end up needing patching. 

We've told them if the render doesn’t look great afterwards they’ll need to re-render those areas which they don’t want to do. Their words were basically everyone needs to pull together and compromise. 

Our view is they screwed up and missed 9 vents. The architect has said 4 of those can be dropped so we now have 5 that need doing. 

Would you expect the render to look as good as it does now around the vents that were correctly installed, or accept it may not look so perfect?

You can see two of the Rytons vents on the wall on the right for reference. 

D1ADC590-DF5A-4C6F-94D9-D1E6530A2466.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I deleted the other post.

I didn’t see your post Declan. Was it for another thread?

Ah, the post I put on the general discussion before finding this sub-section. Gotcha ?

Edited by Mandana

1 hour ago, nod said:

If it’s only the base course it’s not a big deal

Its still poor supervision on the builders pert 

Totally agree nod. 

Sadly Covid had a lot to do with that. We were lucky to get any work done at all, especially as our contractors were 6 hours from home so finding accommodation was a nightmare. Even so, they should have been supervised. 

I would want it to look perfect if you have paid somebody to do it, if it looks inferior to the rest I would want that section re- rendered. 

Would it be be simpler to fit round vents so they can be drilled in using a core drill so the new round vent will cover the round hole, rather than them trying to cut out a square hole. 

Just a thought. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would want it to look perfect if you have paid somebody to do it, if it looks inferior to the rest I would want that section re- rendered. 

Would it be be simpler to fit round vents so they can be drilled in using a core drill so the new round vent will cover the round hole, rather than them trying to cut out a square hole. 

Just a thought. 

snap --thats was my thought on the problem as well .

Edited by scottishjohn

4 hours ago, Mandana said:

Sadly Covid had a lot to do with that. We were lucky to get any work done at all, especially as our contractors were 6 hours from home so finding accommodation was a nightmare

Tell me about it! My SIPS team had a stretch of water to contend with too... Getting anything done all seems really hard at the moment and I expect it isn't going to get easier any time soon.

I agree with everyone else that since you're paying someone, then these problems ought not to even get as far as you other than in progress reports. "Pulling together" is fine, but the word "compromise" shouldn't imply a quality reduction. Perhaps this is why I struggle a bit to employ contractors.

Are the whole of the telescopic vent thingies missing, or is it just the brick sized vent covers in the outer skin that are missing?

7 minutes ago, dnb said:

Are the whole of the telescopic vent thingies missing, or is it just the brick sized vent covers in the outer skin that are missing?

The whole thing is missing - hole, sleeve and cover. 

Spoke to our architect this morning and he reckons the render will be fine if they are careful as it’s so fresh. It’s STO render - acrylic based for the SIPs, so it’s got movement in it and will be easy to touch up. Apparently!

23 minutes ago, Vijay said:

could they cut out the slots using an oscillating saw with a diamond blade?

They’ve told us they will sort it so I’m presuming they’ll bring the right tools with them. 

Only trouble is they aren’t around the corner. They’re 6 hours away (without stops) so it’s not like they can fit it in around other jobs. 

Don’t envy them coming back (for the 3rd time) but if they’d been supervised and things were checked before the scaffolding went up we wouldn’t be in this pickle. 

6 hours ago, Mandana said:

Totally agree nod. 

Sadly Covid had a lot to do with that. We were lucky to get any work done at all, especially as our contractors were 6 hours from home so finding accommodation was a nightmare. Even so, they should have been supervised. 

I’m just looking at the picture 

I can’t see the weeps above the openings 

Have they gone over those as well ?

36 minutes ago, nod said:

I’m just looking at the picture 

I can’t see the weeps above the openings 

Have they gone over those as well ?

Not sure what you mean. 

There’s no weep holes in addition to the vents, if that’s what you mean?

Just took this picture of one of the vents they missed and did knock through. Shame so many others were discovered after they left ?

The second photo is a vent that was installed prior to the render application. 

And the third photo is of 2 more vents that were retro fitted but they weren’t in render, just under the (future) decking area. 

36E33597-D71D-4C8E-8FA2-0809F15ACEE4.jpeg

5BF4C90C-CD84-4095-B5BD-1ED50EC96266.jpeg

E9529695-F2C3-499D-8E6B-AD3EE89F0D48.jpeg

4 hours ago, nod said:

There should be drains leading from the cavity trays and weep vents piping through the render 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yours are high up the wall. Our vents are in the base course allowing air to circulate under the house. We raised our house by 2’ onto beam and block so that’s what the ventilation is for. 

Our architect didn’t design any weep holes anywhere. Ours is a SIPs construction so we want to keep both air and water out.