What would you do?

osmononame

Hi All,

The roof of my building is on - roofer is starting next week with the tiles. I foolishly thought that I would be able to pick up the Velux windows in my sizes off the shelf - I was wrong! I can get the sizes I need in double glazed with the electric option delivered within a couple of days but the triple glazed option is on a 15 working day lead time. u-values are 1.3 for 2G vs 1.1 3G so not that different. The size is UK08.I have tried the Fakro option but they are on a similar lead time. No other manufacturer seems to do it in that size. It needs to be electric due to the height of it.

Rather than delay the build 2-3 weeks + the time taken for the roofer to be available again I am tempted to just go with the 2G option, save the money and live with my decision?

Convince me I am right!

I did some back of envelope calculations.  My roof windows are small.  the difference in heat loss between 2G and 3G, and the difference in cost between 2G and 3G meant the saving in heat loss would never repay the extra cost of 3G.

So as it turns out the roofing supplier has let us down and tiles wont be arriving for a few weeks to months!!??!, this despite them being ordered eons ago and being told they were in stock and ready to go! Covid is being blamed but thats a scapegoat for just about everything these days. I got the news just as the dispatch email for the 2G windows arrived from Velux rubbing salt in to the wounds as it would seem I now have plenty of time for the 3G to arrive had I ordered them. Certainly not worth the time and hassle returning the 2G for the 3G but annoying nonetheless!

Edited by osmononame