Siberian Larch - inside the house.... treatment?

ToughButterCup

We have a little Siberian Larch left over from our cladding. And I'm contemplating using it as a highlight for a very small (10 sqm) inside the house. But over time it'll oxidise unless I coat it with something. The wood is already resinous, so I'm wondering if it simply won't take any coating at all. 

Has anyone coated Siberian larch, or used it inside their house? If so, can you tell me what you used to coat it, please?

About 25 years back I made some ledge and brace internal doors for our house from larch but I don’t know its nationality. We lived there for four more years. I used lemon grass oil on them. Could have been better but I hate the smell of thing oil. The larch seemed happy enough.

Thanks.  I need to bring the wood into the house for at least a week to let it rest - preferrably a fortnight. 

This from Norwood

One of the most attractive features of Siberian Larch is the fact it does not need to be sealed. Sealing is not mandatory and you can still expect a long life out of your deck. This offers significant maintenance time and cost savings! However, sealing adds an extra layer of protection and will result in the deck lasting even longer. It will help to preserve the appearance and reduce surface checking that can occur in any natural wood. Like all natural woods Siberian Larch will oxidize and turn a silvery, gray color. If you would like to preserve the color, a UV-Ray protection must be applied.

https://www.nordwoodtimber.co.uk/what-you-need-to-know-about-siberian-larch

I need a UV ray protection, it seems : back to Osmo Oil and maybe a base coat.

I'm thinking this might (because it has no biocides)  do the trick....

14 minutes ago, Timedout said:

.... I used lemon grass oil on them. .... The larch seemed happy enough.

Very interesting point indeed. 

You say happy .. happy as in keep its colour.  I've just looked it up : seems that it's principal use might be in health and wellbeing. Might you have supplier (other than Holland and Barrett.)

Edited by ToughButterCup

I had some larch off cuts  from my cladding and put them through the planer And made a walkway with them between two rooms that were build at ether end of a shed up in the roof. I used a two part floor varnish and it worked great, holding up really well with lots of use. The varnish really brought out the colour. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/09/2020 at 16:56, ToughButterCup said:

Thanks.  I need to bring the wood into the house for at least a week to let it rest - preferrably a fortnight. 

This from Norwood

I need a UV ray protection, it seems : back to Osmo Oil and maybe a base coat.

I'm thinking this might (because it has no biocides)  do the trick....

Very interesting point indeed. 

You say happy .. happy as in keep its colour.  I've just looked it up : seems that it's principal use might be in health and wellbeing. Might you have supplier (other than Holland and Barrett.)

Try Chestnut. The brand, not the tree. Lemon grass oil is used as a wood finish often for internal surfaces of cabinets. I don’t like the smell of tung oil. This time I have forced my iPad not to alter my words. Lemon grass oil does not resist finger marking as well but does not make the house smell of rotting vegetation. 
I think I bought mine from Axminster tools but I may be wrong on that.

• Thanks 1