New sealed glazing unit- quick question

Crofter

After seven years I have finally started replacing my ancient single glazed windows.

The new uPVC units arrived and my measurements seem to be OK, so far, which was my biggest worry.

The sealed units have what appears to be duct tape around the outside. I am 99.99% sure that this is just for protection in transit and it should come off. But it's stuck really, really well. To the point where I'm having a tiny bit of doubt about whether to remove it, since it seems to want to pull strong black gloop off the edge of the sealed unit itself.

Can anybody reassure me that I should just crack on and rip the tape off? I should probably do the sensible thing, down tools and phone the supplier in the morning, but the old window is already out and SWMBO would rather not have a gaping hole in the wall overnight!

17 minutes ago, Crofter said:

After seven years I have finally started replacing my ancient single glazed windows.

The new uPVC units arrived and my measurements seem to be OK, so far, which was my biggest worry.

The sealed units have what appears to be duct tape around the outside. I am 99.99% sure that this is just for protection in transit and it should come off. But it's stuck really, really well. To the point where I'm having a tiny bit of doubt about whether to remove it, since it seems to want to pull strong black gloop off the edge of the sealed unit itself.

Can anybody reassure me that I should just crack on and rip the tape off? I should probably do the sensible thing, down tools and phone the supplier in the morning, but the old window is already out and SWMBO would rather not have a gaping hole in the wall overnight!

They normally do have tape around the edge 

If it’s not visible when the bead go on it would be worth leaving it on 

Picture would help 

27 minutes ago, Crofter said:

That is gas sealing tape - it needs to stay on !! 

22 minutes ago, Crofter said:

It will certainly not be visible after the beads go on, but it looks exactly like bog standard duct tape, and it's not especially neat. Hence my first impression that it was just there for packaging...

IMG_20200915_182802.jpg

Leave it on and fit 

It is just normal cloth/gaffer/duct tape. It's there for handling reasons / edge protection and isn't part of the primary or secondary seal.

Technically you are advised to remove it before installing the sealed unit. In reality everyone always leaves it on as removing it is a pain and it does no observable harm.

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

Technically you are advised to remove it before installing the sealed unit.

Really..? Never seen that on any install guidance and know a lot of Fensa fitters who have never removed it ..? I was advised it was there to protect the gas seals from damage. 

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Really..? Never seen that on any install guidance and know a lot of Fensa fitters who have never removed it ..? I was advised it was there to protect the gas seals from damage. 

Wouldn't bother Fensa as it's not really a building regs issue. Would be GGF guidance or locked away in a British Standard somewhere.

Will see if I can locate it.

The tape is purely for handling purposes, it does nothing other than protect during handling. It is not an air seal or anything like that.

It’s a pain to remove but it’s not needed and can be the cause of unit failure if left on. I should add that some types of glazing silicon can react with the hotmelt which is why people leave it on as well.

Edited by craig

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

https://www.billbutterswindows.co.uk/images/downloads/Members_Glazing_Manual_March_2015.pdf

GGF Glazing Manual - 1.1.3 In case you / anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Well the glazed unit fitted just fine with the tape in place.

I have to say I've been surprised how fitting these uPVC windows is utterly different to the alu-clad units I put into the new build a few years back. Those came with the glazing installed, and everything felt sturdy and square. The empty uPVC frames are quite floppy, but there's lots of wiggle room when installing the glazed unit as well.

I started with the smallest one and, going against the instructions, fitted the glass first. That way I know it's square. I won't be able to do this on the bigger ones since they'll be too heavy.