Self build design - sound insulation

BrianWg

I am building a detached basement + 2 storey home, with all internal floors & walls being timber constructed.

Part E seems horrendously complicated but after many readings I think that only E2 applies and that it is only Airborne test and that my internal walls can be either as type A or B and Floor of type C

This seems so simple that I am worried that I might have missed something - can anyone help put me straight?

1 hour ago, BrianWg said:

This seems so simple that I am worried that I might have missed something - can anyone help put me straight?

As it is a detached property the only element that affects you to meeting the minimum requirements of the reqs is that internal walls and floors need to achieve an Rw 40 dB, have a look at table 0.2, also look at requirement of E.2 on page 8, and specifically the exceptions to E.2.

Those wall types (Diagram 5.1 - 5.3) are example constructions which should achieve an Rw 40 dB.

Also it should be noted that an Rw is a lab measurement and you don't need to do any testing in your property as its detached. In fact achieving Rw 40 dB is pretty straight forward. For walls, one layer of plaster board either side of a stud with some mineral wool in the cavity. Floors are also straight forward as they have a larger cavity than walls (Diagram 5.7) .

Bear in mind though that the minimum requirement of Rw 40 dB is not actually that good, and i would advise on trying to better things where possible, dependant on practical / cost constraints, things like increasing the number of layers of plasterboard and its density, using metal framing rather than wood studs, using resilient bars, or even independent / staggered studs if noise is a real concern. 

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1