Plywood shelving/wall of ply

Tennentslager

Ripping out an old kitchen plywood cupboard on a small kitchen wall and repurposing as a wall of box shelves to include a big box for the fridge, wee box for microwave and Alexa.

Any clever new devices or tips out there for T joints for 18mm hardwood ply as that’s the plan to construct it from?

I mean, instead of a T-halving joint some clever hidden mechanical system to join the shelves when they are in line?

plan some LEDs to make it look the dogs, IKEA is ticking boxes 

Any thoughts folks?

Right Mr Griffiths, that does it.

If, like me (us) you can't afford to waste any of the wood you order, and need to make your own fitted storage 'furniture' (because we're poor as church mice), and by chance you bump into this guy on YooChube (Peter Millard) , and you have a Just-Bloody-Do-It attitude, and you have enforced delays because your sodding ecologist delays the start of your build by 9 months, and you manage to turn that delay  into planning time , and.... 

You buy a Festool Domino jointer, a Festool tracksaw and an MFT so you can DIY Max  (sorry for the plagiarism @epsilonGreedy ) . 

Poor me. 

Hook, line and sinker innit  : 1 to you Russ. Fair dos......

13 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Ripping out an old kitchen plywood cupboard on a small kitchen wall and repurposing as a wall of box shelves to include a big box for the fridge, wee box for microwave and Alexa.

Any clever new devices or tips out there for T joints for

Yes. Here goes

Start with Peter Millard : excellent guy - down in the weeds detail. Lots there - I've been watching his stuff for a few years now. He's a Festool Domino bloke, but not evangelist about it: Festool is not the answer to everything.

Then there's Rag and Bone Brown. Bit wordy for my liking but sensible ideas 

This Kiwi has a passion for plywood. This link is to his list on handling the stuff. Hidden jointing ideas are tops .....

Heres a couple of videos about Lamello jointing

That should give you a bit of fire-side reading and watching for a while.

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

You buy a Festool Domino jointer, a Festool tracksaw and an MFT so you can DIY Max  (sorry for the plagiarism @epsilonGreedy ) . 

The software developer in me finds the casing in your plagiarism unsettling to read. Like all trendy programmers I have adopted camel casing in my code hence "DIY Max" should be written diyMax if it is an instance of the concept or DiyMax for the overall concept.

• Like 1