Search for a cylinder

Andrew

Just doing our first fix plumbing and the question of which cylinder came up.  These are the requirements :-

- Unvented

- 400 litre (we'll have 5 bathrooms)

- Single indirect coil suitable for a heat pump input. 

- Spark wants two immersion heaters so that the Solar PV diverter can run on the second.

- Plumber wants a pre-plumbed cylinder. It's going in a fairly tight space and he argues a pre-plumbed cylinder will be more compact (and I suspect easier for him)

I was planning to get the Telford heat pump cylinder but it's only available pre-plumbed up to 300 litres and doesn't have two immersions. I did ask Telford customer services but they were mostly useless and just pointed me at the merchant, who didn't really want to know as it obviously wasn't a quick standard sale.

Does anyone know of a cylinder that might fit the bill? Thanks. 

Why does the plumber want pre-plumbed ..?? If space is tight then you want the tank specced properly with all the connections at the front or at least in the middle section, and aligned with where pipework is provisioned where the cylinder will be located. 

How much space do you have to work with as the 400 litre tank is not actually that tall so you can get stuff such as the expansion tank and mixing valve etc above the tank, and then the 3 diverter valve can be put to one side, and the inputs and overflows / safety valve can be on the other. 

Telford 400 HP UVC comes with twin immersions as standard, and also comes with a HP coil. None of this is difficult, and if you want custom design then go via Cylinders2Go and speak to Trevor and mention the forum to get a decent price. 

Thanks for the replies all. 

19 hours ago, PeterW said:

Why does the plumber want pre-plumbed ..??

He says due to the available space - he reckons pre-plumbed will be more compact than he can plumb it. It's not that tight, it's going in a 2m x 2m plant room (albeit with a UFH manifold, MVHR unit and all the electrics / networking). I suspect it's probably just easier for him although he has offered to knock off the time it would take him to plumb from his price if I can get a pre-plumbed one. 

19 hours ago, PeterW said:

Telford 400 HP UVC comes with twin immersions as standard, and also comes with a HP coil.

Good to know. It doesn't show the twin immersions on the technical data PDF, but I can see it in the feature list on their site. 

I'll give the sites suggested a try and see what they come up. 

43 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He says due to the available space - he reckons pre-plumbed will be more compact than he can plumb it. It's not that tight, it's going in a 2m x 2m plant room (albeit with a UFH manifold, MVHR unit and all the electrics / networking).

That is huge ..!!!! I have a 300 UVC, 80 litre buffer, pair of 30 litre expansion vessels and the valves and pumps, UFH manifold, hot and cold supply manifolds, digital shower, all the controls for UFH and ASHP and the whole lot is in a cupboard that is 1650 x 650mm. All the pipework is in copper too so it wasn’t something that could be easily adjusted. 

The Telford UVC can be made to fit exactly where you want it. Pipework can be specified to be exactly where you want it, and the plumber can just connect it up. A preplumb cylinder has the connections where they want them and that can be the wrong side of the cylinder. 

preplumb seems mostly to be Tectite or crimp fittings which can be a bit neater for sure but as above, unless the base cylinder is configured with ports in the right places and the external stuff oriented right, all the pipes can be in the wrong places.

On 15/09/2020 at 08:06, SteamyTea said:

Can you make it 2.2m by 2.2m, then line it with 100mm of Celotex?

That's internal dimensions, the two external walls of the plant room already have 140mm of fibreglass and 50mm of celotex. 

On 15/09/2020 at 08:50, PeterW said:

That is huge ..!!!! I have a 300 UVC, 80 litre buffer, pair of 30 litre expansion vessels and the valves and pumps, UFH manifold, hot and cold supply manifolds, digital shower, all the controls for UFH and ASHP and the whole lot is in a cupboard that is 1650 x 650mm. All the pipework is in copper too so it wasn’t something that could be easily adjusted. 

The Telford UVC can be made to fit exactly where you want it. Pipework can be specified to be exactly where you want it, and the plumber can just connect it up. A preplumb cylinder has the connections where they want them and that can be the wrong side of the cylinder. 

Yeah, I think there's another reason for him wanting it pre-plumbed, the space argument isn't really making much sense...

On 15/09/2020 at 10:18, Alexphd1 said:

i am with PeterW on this, 2x2m is more than big enough for all your stuff. Also if you need to replace cylinder its a lot simpler with a cylinder only. Has your plumber got experience of piping up UFH/ASHP/UVC ? 

I'm sure he has. The general builder who did the foundations and brickwork (very well) recommended him and said he'd done UFH/ASHP/UVC in the past for him. He's time served and been around the block. He readily admits the electrical / controls side isn't his thing but the electrician does lots of renewables and is happy to lead that side. 

On 15/09/2020 at 10:32, Ferdinand said:

If you're going for 2 x 2m there may be space to make that a shower room, as well.

A bath is only 1700 long - why not a full bathroom ?

• 7 months later...
On 15/09/2020 at 08:50, PeterW said:

Wow. I would love to see a photograph of that!