First Post - rebuilding 6mx4m conservatory

Alf

So I was browsing the internet and mentioned how cheap 2nd hand conservatories were....

Next thing I knew, my wife and daughter had bought one and hired a van.

I have built up to ground level  with blocks and filled the cavity and I'm using dense concrete blocks to build a dwarf cavity  wall 300 wide x 450mm high for the frames to sit on, although there are two short full height walls coming away from the house .

My question is:

Is it ok to build the outer skin and sit the frames on (without glass) and put up the roof spars to keep it all together before compressing the hardcore for the slab?

or, If I compress the hardcore first, could I then build the outer skin and put up the frames (with glass) and polycarb roof on and complete the inner skin later?

I'm just thinking that I could continue to build inside if the weather isn't good and I need the space where I'm storing the frames.

Thanks... sorry if it's a stupid question.

There is no such thing as a stupid question here ? . Welcome.

You'll need imo to do all the basic structure first if you want the best outcome - because it needs to be all of a piece. Also doing work with a thumper can't be good for your new walls.

You also need to know what you are doing with things such as insulation and services in the floor - eg underfloor heating or electric wiring, and have your whole thing planned otherwise you could miss something in the process. So that is stuff like wiring for lighting and other stuff you might want.

I have done a couple of conservatories, including adapting a secondhand one back in 2012/13 as a sun lounge, and project managing my own more recently.

An important thing in mine was to have tolerance in my structure to adjust some things slightly to allow tolerances for where the conservatory it didn't quite line up as it was supposed to do eg if your existing walls are not quite square. And also to consider how you will manage sun and heat economcally.

Do you need any regulatory approval for the way you are doing it eg Building Regs? 

Some of the more experienced builders on here may be less cautious than me.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Hi, and thanks for replying.

You're probably right about loosening the bricks... It'll be better do things in the right order.

I think because of the time of year I thought I might be able to put the structure up on the outer wall and then finish the inner wall and pour the slab regardless of the weather. I also need the space , one of the window units is nearly 4m long.

It's been a bit more work than I thought (concrete blocks are a bit heavy and not as easy to lay as bricks) and I've had lots of conflicting advice from friends and family, ranging from 'just put it on a bit of rubble to digging down a metre'.

I know what you mean about measurements too because one side is 20mm longer than the other. Good job we didn't just assume they'd be the same.

I'm using permitted development rights and had to fill a Notification for Prior Approval for a Proposed Larger Home Extension for the Council. I was told the it was exempt from Building Regs because it's a conservatory and it's under 6m from the house (but only just).

Not really thought too much about heating and cooling yet though.

thanks again