First time buyer, first time learner...

Dagenhamdoerupper

Hi All, 

Me and my girlfriend bought our first house recently and got straight to work with the improvements.

There's lots of jobs to tackle but the first one we wanted to do was remove two first floor chimney breasts.

We've had a builder in to fit gallows brackets and a steel across the span but as Ive started the removal of bricks I noticed that one of the roof supports is tied into the chimney itself below where the brackets were fitted and will likely need supporting somehow. See pictures for what I'm up against. 

We're hoping to get the removal sorted in the next week ready to move in a couple of weeks and clearly don't want to remove more until I'm confident the roof is supported. Any advice welcome!! 

IMG_20200913_173455.jpg

IMG_20200913_163753.jpg

2 hours ago, tonyshouse said:

Cant see enough, don’t like the piles of bricks !

I'll grab some.better photos tomorrow. What would be helpful to see? 

1 hour ago, DevilDamo said:

Has a structural engineer and/or Building Control been appointed?

Building control have been appointed yes. They've signed off on the gallows brackets themselves but we only ran into the issue today so haven't had a response from them just yet

We didn't have an engineer as building control were happy with what the builder had told them. In the event we don't get an answer from building control well definitely be getting in touch with a structural engineer. Is there a nationwide firm that people use or a good place to source a good quality structural engineer?