Driveway planning permission

Dean89

Hi there, 

Before I spend money on planning permission does anyone know if I would have any chance of getting it approved. I would like to turn my front garden into a driveway, however the grass Infront of the house is owned by the council and there is also a small metal fence in the way next to the public car park.

IMG_20200912_180354.jpg

You dont just need planning permission you also need permission from the land owner to drive across their land. These are very different things even if in this case both are in the power of the council to grant. They will be different departments and either one could agree or disagree independently from the other.

Before you pay a fee for planning permission you should find out which department in the council looks after council property/assets and contact them first. Some councils are more flexible than others. I know someone that wanted to buy some land from their council, but the council felt obliged to put the land up for sale at an auction saying they "have an obligation to get best value for public assets when they are sold". In another the council agreed to sell the land but the buyer had to pay all council legal expenses as well as their own.