Anyone not got grey windows?

SuperJohnG

Just as a wee update to this thread. 

We had mulled over grey, light grey, pebble grey, maybe an Olive Grey. None were really hitting the mark. We'd ditched the black as we thought it would be too stark a contrast with the white render....however had a rethink and we are now going with RAL 9005 jet black, in a textured finish (Zyle Fenster windows) . Now that I've made the decision it seems to make perfect sense and really happy with it, feels good to commit to something like that and choose a bold option. 

I'll update the thread in 3-6 months when fitted, thanks for all the input..

On another note...looks like possibly a Poppy Orange front door.......

image.png.5abfc94fc387f23cd5e77d9c74476152.pngimage.png.456c0e6dd9db05034ea34d12d612862f.png

We made a deal to try and not let ourselves go middle of the road with colour choices and to be bold somewhat, I think we might be going in the right direction....

• Like 2

Love it! The only thing I would not love is the painting job every so many years :(

To avoid this we have gone for solid wood windows and doors that will need minimal maintenance and what there is will be very easy!

47 minutes ago, patp said:

Love it! The only thing I would not love is the painting job every so many years :(

To avoid this we have gone for solid wood windows and doors that will need minimal maintenance and what there is will be very easy!

@patp These are all Timber frame Aluclad windows hence near zero maintenance as they are protected. If you have solid wood, you will still need to pint /protect every few years. I'd get Aluclad if you want no maintenance. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/09/2020 at 13:46, joe90 said:

We wanted National Trust olive green, but found they use more than one shade, depending where it is. Foolishly we picked a colour on my iPad, ral 1000, informed our window manufacturer and they sprayed them. Upon delivery I nearly had a fit. They looked very “yellow” and the wife said can I repaint them? . “Not on your nelly” I replied, I hate painting which is why I paid to have them sprayed. It turns out they go well with the rustic bricks and everyone compliments the colour and we have grown to like them (thank goodness). Funnily enough the colour appears to change with the light.

So, the moral of this story is, if picking a colour, go see it in the flesh, not on a devise and in natural light (We were lucky).

image.jpg

Nice windows! Where are these from?

On 01/10/2020 at 15:48, SuperJohnG said:

@patp These are all Timber frame Aluclad windows hence near zero maintenance as they are protected. If you have solid wood, you will still need to pint /protect every few years. I'd get Aluclad if you want no maintenance. 

Too late :( We did consider the the alu clad ones but we both love real wood and have had the same hardwood windows in our cottage for over 35 years. They are as good now as the day we installed them. All they need is a coat of timber treatment every year or so. The new build is a bungalow so the job will be even easier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/11/2020 at 13:45, Dave Jones said:

last build went 7106 on windows outside, white inside and a black front door to key in with black dry virges. looked good.

I'd recommend flush sash windows as well, more expensive than normal upvc but the profile is soo much better.

https://www.eurocell.co.uk/specifiers/windows/modus-windows

Heritage Collection – MyBest Windows Croydon

Im just looking into these Modus Windows, in pretty much that colour in the pic - Irish Oak. I like the fact you can get matching front and rear doors too.

Granite black here. Bizarrely we knocked down a house that was white with a red roof and black windows then built one that was exactly the same colours.

Worth noting that black expands in the sun. I believe that Hormann recommend you do not use it if your garage doors face south.

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_7080.JPG

• Like 1