Anyone not got grey windows?

SuperJohnG

4 hours ago, dpmiller said:

We were advised against black because it would have more of an issue with fading. RAL7016 as a foil on UPVC, it's a mid grey now, and if it fades it'll still be a mid-grey, lol.

How bad is the fading on black, my first choice is black. ?

We went with 7021 (black-grey) for both outside and inside of alu-clad windows.   Not your standard anthracite grey, but not quite black either.  Due to be fitted next week, so if you want to see some photos send me a PM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Conor said:

We're going with the Baskil "silver" which is basically a light grey with a blue tinge. We agree that dark grey / anthracite will be out of fashion in a few years.

SILVER.gif

Took me a minute before I realised there wasn't a problem with the picture loading here.. it was a colour swatch. ?

Just took a couple of quick pictures of a couple of windows with different colour which might help some folk with some ideas.

RAL 6005 - Moss Green

IMG_3005.thumb.JPG.5515bdd82455bc999ebb2cd15f9e0231.JPG 

Frame: 5005m Signal blue
Sash: 5001m Green blue

IMG_3003.thumb.JPG.f207e8b915a6f5a6a49cd065e9313868.JPG

7035m Light grey

IMG_3004.thumb.JPG.c0de33e18a0f3a2ff42126ce35ebe3c6.JPG

Frame: 3003 Ruby Red

Sash: DM02 Metallic fine structure

IMG_3006.thumb.JPG.c9cfed535439692e35fb10671adfa098.JPG

• Like 1

I know this has already been mentioned but PLEASE don't attempt to judge window colours based on online images. Between camera exposure, auto white balance and the non colour-managed environment you will be disappointed.

I have a RAL 7035 sample in my office and the image above looks much nearer to white than 7035.

It's not about making decisions based on pictures viewed online, no one here is going to be making decisions based on online pictures. They will have samples galore and go through numerous decision making scenarios, putting different finishes next to each other before making a decision. This was to assist people with "ideas".

Different time of day, different lighting - 9016 against 7035

IMG_3007.thumb.JPG.e529ff46d737df8a3e1cdf0594a2ad2d.JPG

Edited by craig

• 2 weeks later...

another that has gone for RAL 7016 here. we're having Shou Sugi Ban larch cladding (aka charred larch) and so feel the black and grey will go together nicely. a lighter or brighter colour would, for us, make the windows too contrasted with the cladding.

I'm not worried about it going out of fashion as I'm not building the house for others or to be 'on-trend'. it's being built for us and we love the look of Anthracite grey windows. ?

and, just like @canalsiderenovation, we are having white inside but have gone for Norrsken windows instead of Internorm.

I did struggle picking a front door with anthracite windows as we didn't want an anthracite door and I didn't know if a different colour would look OK. Interesting to hear what colour door others went for, e.g. to match windows or completely different contrasting colour.Screenshot_2020-04-18-14-11-57-874_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.png.c799d7d98296cb8a6195c4eb2cf7fe0b.png In the end we got an Internorm door in black with a gloss wood bit on it (white inside)  I still have some reservations on whether it will look OK but it's too late now and it was next to a grey frame in the showroom so should be ok next to our anthracite windows.

The first internorm door I picked (random flick through the catalogue and stopped on a page that looked OK) cost more than the 2G in my entire last house (about 8k) so we discussed our front door asperations and realized having it in the exact same range as the windows and patio doors is absolutely fine. It's not even visible from the front of our house (around a corner) and we'll likely put a porch over it too, so all in all going undertstated felt just fine.

@canalsiderenovation my guess is you'll love what you've chosen and a year or two of people complimenting it you'll wonder why you ever worried ? [same issue as I'm going through with internal lighting right now]. Out of interest do you have other visible timber details on that elevation? That would really tie it in, but even without that I expect it works great as a small accent.

(The one look I'm really not keen on, but seems increasingly popular trend around our way, is where people have an oak frame porch around an all-oak UrbanFront-alike door, but the entirety of the rest of the fenestration on  their 1930s multiple extended mini-mansion is in uPVC. )

1 hour ago, joth said:

Out of interest do you have other visible timber details on that elevation?

Nope it's all anthracite and will be render but we loved the door and as it was ex display it was the same price as a Solid or one. We are surrounded by lots of trees though and at some point we need some kind of canopy/porch but as it's flat roof I'm not sure what the options are.

The back door is a composite grey stable door but we don't have any windows there so nothing directly to view it against and another Internorm one was our of our budget.

Edited by canalsiderenovation

5 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Interesting to hear what colour door others went for, e.g. to match windows or completely different contrasting colour.

we've gone for a red door! we think that with the black cladding and anthracite windows it should contrast beautifully. ?

All our windows, the french doors and the back door are all UPVC grey outside/ white inside. The front door however is black composite in a white UPVC frame, as the porch area will be stone clad and I wanted a bit of contrast to break these features up, vs. the grey beside white render elsewhere.

Ecowin/Gaulhofer supplied the Front Doors and all the windows.

The garage door is Hormann and the red was a standard Hormann colour,  RUBY RED RAL3003. We specified this colour for the front door to match

Edited by HerbJ

Thanks, we completed in late 2016 and moved in early January 2017.  There are lots of photos of the house and particulalry the  garden on the BH website.

SWMBO chose the colour of the doors and  Ecowin were very excited that someone had finally moved away from RAL7016 for a front door.