How Do I prove New Property VAT free

We are starting the build on our new house soon and the company supplying the piling and steels have asked for a VAT number or Certificate to prove that it is a new property that we will be living in so that they can bill us VAT free as they are supplying and installing.

The company are saying that they need proof otherwise they will have to pay VAT.

Has anyone else had to do this or how can you prove that it should be VAT free

2 hours ago, NewToAllOfThis said:

We are starting the build on our new house soon and the company supplying the piling and steels have asked for a VAT number or Certificate

Officially they do NOT need a certificate but a certificate is essentially just a letter you give them that says something like...

I certify/confirm that your work relate to the construction of the new dwelling (details below) as therefore qualifies for zero VAT. 

Your details (name address etc)

site location (typically from the title of your planning grant eg House on right of...)

Planning reference number

Think there is an example in VAT708 but it relates to charities so will need modifying.

2 hours ago, NewToAllOfThis said:

We are starting the build on our new house soon and the company supplying the piling and steels have asked for a VAT number or Certificate

I guess I should check..

If they are supplying and installing the piling/steels then it MUST all be zero rated to you as you cannot reclaim any VAT incorrectly paid from HMRC.  

If they are only supplying the piling and steels (not installing them) then they should charge you VAT on these materials and you can reclaim it.

Edited by Temp