Pros and Cons of PH

Mako

58 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Not price. If you are politically neutral on the whole global warming debate, the prime motivation for choosing TF as a beginner self builder is "reduction of project risk". One manufacture/install contract delivers something that looks like a house in 6 weeks.

I choose TF on price. Much much cheaper than block here. I know this to be case as I can compare the block work on my outer leaf. The block work was dense concrete blocks. I know some people use lightweight blocks but I don't like these as they can crumble easily and get knocked/chipped. 

Our TF was stick build, so I could get credit on the TF and control the quality of the materials used. Therefore more risk but nothing that could not be managed.

I didn't know about build hub or ebuild when I had my plans prepared and would have consider myself as a beginner at the start. 

58 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

One experienced build hubber posted last year that his next project won't be TF because of the problem of noise propagation through the internal structure of the house.

If I were to self build again the noise concern would be a top item holding me back from choosing TF compared to my present masonry build.

On the noise, all houses here are room in the roof designs, therefore you would be having timber in the first floor. It's would be unusual to use beam and block upstairs (and actually on the ground floor as well here).

Therefore noise would be much the same.

Going back to the original point of the thread. I would consider a passive house, however my concerns are cost and time. When I am fifty or sixty and retired/semi retired than I would have the time to provide the attention needed. But a normal working week, overtime and two children would mean this would not be achievable. I would have pay a contractors a premium to achieve the level required.

Yes you could do it slowly but a normal build is already expensive and time consuming. 

From my experience Passive houses tend to be self built by people as they approach retirement. Not all, but definitely a majority. I plan to do the same in 25 or 30 years. 

• 5 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

im amazed you find a timber frame cheaper than block or brick.  

What size are we talking and timber frame price ?

138m2. Can't remember the price of the top of my head. But will be posting a blog entry about my project costs and finance shortly.

Timber frames are more expensive when you buy from the kit manufacturer. You are paying for all the overheads, profit margin etc.

Much better when you can manage the supply of your own timber and get experienced joiners to stick build on site. 

It's also dependent where in the UK you are and having access to the right trades.

12 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

138m2. Can't remember the price of the top of my head. But will be posting a blog entry about my project costs and finance shortly.

Timber frames are more expensive when you buy from the kit manufacturer. You are paying for all the overheads, profit margin etc.

Much better when you can manage the supply of your own timber and get experienced joiners to stick build on site. 

It's also dependent where in the UK you are and having access to the right trades.

looking at the picture id say 6-8k in block bit more with nice brick outer skin. Timber frame was cheaper than that ?

I went brick and block fir two reasons, 1/ I wanted a non maintenance exterior (not render) so brick 2/ I wanted solid heavy internal walls so block . Big cavity and shed loads of insulation and attention to airtightness make it very cheap to run. The only thing I would change is the first  floor makeup, voices carry between floors and wish I had doubled up plasterboard and sound insulation.

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

looking at the picture id say 6-8k in block bit more with nice brick outer skin. Timber frame was cheaper than that ?

I'll need to check my spreadsheet but building timber frame panels is cheap and quick.

Again location is critical, nobody builds with brick in the Hebrides.

If block and block or single block on a timber frame you would usually have a cement render. 

Haulage of materials is another consideration and weather. 

• Like 1