Recomendation for a new cheap workshop vacuum

dnb

I have killed my old inherited shop vac, so I need to replace it before I inhale a whole trees worth of sawdust. I don't need H rated (I have a small one of those already) but wet operation might be useful. Price is a significant factor in this because it's yet another unbudgeted spend in an already expensive month - the Lotus needs some new toe links for its MOT. What's a good buy? I quite like the 20 litre Clarke wet and dry vacuum in Toolstation at the moment.

Also considering making a cyclone dust extractor out of an old dustbin and some parts I have lying around to put inline with the new vac so I don't have to empty it quite so often. Anyone tried this?

we have the screwfix one and the wet function is great . It is very efficient , almost like a pump. It does take a while to dry the filter but there is a different one  for dry function. The dry bags are expensive but they are large . we did empty one and reuse when we did not have a  spare  

• Thanks 1

On 12/09/2020 at 10:35, Ferdinand said:

The content of hoover bags can go in the compost heap aiui.

Good to know for the future. I think for the moment the contents will be used as kindling for the odd bonfire to clear away all the garden waste that won't compost that is building up on site.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Best one I ever bought was made by Earlex. It's a wet and dry and still going after more than 15 years. Only thing I ever wish is I bought the model with power take off

I’m sure there was a thread about that once from @ToughButterCup - the power take off not Earlex

I have a Vax 6131T wet/dry and carpet shampoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/09/2020 at 07:26, Conor said:

I have the large one from Screwfix... Titan I think. Great job. Tool function and also wet function. Not used the wet function yet.

You mention the “tool function“, how does this differ from other modes?

I am looking to buy a general knockabout wet dry vacuum for the build and hooking this up to my track and mitre saws would be useful.

We've got a Draper one at work, 1800w, seems to do a good job with plenty of power and they only cost around £50.

I just bought myself a little 1000w vac, some unranded rubbish off eBay for £30 but it's actually been very good so far. And I can run it from my little generator which is surprisingly useful, it beats the socks off my previous cordless Dyson...

To answer my recent question about what is a tool mode.

This product review gives an answer. The workshop vacuum has its own 240v power socket, When switched to tool mode it senses when the power tool is drawing current and this auto switches the vacuum on and off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgtq_ioYwp8

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

You mention the “tool function“, how does this differ from other modes?

I am looking to buy a general knockabout wet dry vacuum for the build and hooking this up to my track and mitre saws would be useful.

It has a 1500w socket on it. You plug your sander/table saw etc in to it and the vacuum only activates when you use your tool. Saves having the vacuum running the whole time.

2 hours ago, Conor said:

It has a 1500w socket on it. You plug your sander/table saw etc in to it and the vacuum only activates when you use your tool. Saves having the vacuum running the whole time.

I've got a master-slave 3-way adaptor that does that and find it really useful when using power tools. Don't seem to see them around much for reason. 

61Wqe9KhtcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by MJNewton