Anyone used composite fencing?

Weebles

Hi, has anyone seen / used composite fence panels? Any feedback or thoughts?

we have a 10 fence panel fence to replace. It’s alongside a public footpath. We are looking for something durable and low maintenance would be great. And something in keeping with a modern looking house.  Saw composite ones on the internet and wondered what they are like?

My neighbor has them at her last house 

More than twice the cost but no maintenance Quick jet wash down once per year I must say six seven years on they look fine 

The fence panels I put in a couple of years earlier are ready for replacing now 

So perhaps not twice the price after all 

• Thanks 1

Neighbour had put up composite fencing to replace the wooden ones copy what my hubby put up in our garden. Parking her shenanigans aside, to answer the OP question, the composite panels and posts are more expensive than the standard wooden ones as we looked into them and found the quality goes up the more you pay (obviously). The neighbour put down a cheaper variant because it 'looked pretty' but much to her dismay, and weeks of laughter for us, the recent UK winds and rain (including thunder) battered them and they split. Parts of the her fencing went over and into our garden, so we had an almighty operation clearing it all up (had to hire a vacuum) to make sure all the pieces were removed, as we have kittens running about the garden. A few of her panels and couple of posts looked like they needed replacement, rather an repair. Five months on, mainly because of COVID, she has not had it repaired. I suppose it would look nice but you have to weigh up cost/quality and the event of breakages. If you are environmentally friendly, then that would also play a part too in your selection. The final point, is the cost vs aesthetics. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have put in composite fencing on one side of the garden (the neighbour's fence on that side was nearly destroyed and the neighbour did not care).

Bloody expensive, I must admit. But I absolutely love the look.

The panels are sturdy. We've had some cutouts left and I've been using them as steps out and around the garden, they can take alot of abuse.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-16 at 16.24.26.jpeg

This has just bubbled up my alerts gain.

Further thought for @Weebles is that if you are putting expensive fencing against a Public Footpath, you need to consider graffiti.

ie Is there a risk, and if there is a risk what is your plan for detailing with it?

The check on the composite fence is can it take either cleaning regimens or jetwashing, or perhaps even repainting (or anti-vandal paint).

Just thoughts.

Ferdinand

We bit the bullet and went for some composite in the end. With aluminium posts. Love the look of it as it fits our modern build.  Got some caps and a capping rail still to fit. Really pricey but it needs nothing more than a jet wash and I might do that whereas I’m not going to paint a fence every 2 years. 
@Ferdinand we did consider the graffiti risk. In fact our teenagers also said it. But it’s just as likely with a timber fence and we hope that it won’t be done. If it is then at least we won’t see it from our side (though I would be very cross)

photo attached. I’m sure it will look even better when the paving and landscaping is done.

36FDC370-A5B8-4944-A797-4385E4FB4FE4.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

hi Weebles, your fencing looks great !

We're planning to use composite fencing for our garden project and are finding it pretty tricky to identify good products/suppliers.

Hopefully yeir new fence has withstood the recent gales !

Can I ask where ye purchased the composite fence or what product ye used

Many thanks

Donal

Thank you. It’s still looking like new. It’s Durapost kit. Some good install videos and a very helpful customer service. We’ve got some spare bits if you are thinking of the same colour.......

We are in South Oxfordshire - where are you?