Front door ramp.

ProDave

Another project long in the making finally completed today after finally managing to find some more boards yesterday.

It's a timber ramp, built as a permanent structure, so hopefully it won't get shot down by building control.

ramp_1.thumb.jpg.bf71aa95efc9073b0038d9c5f5522346.jpg

ramp_2.thumb.jpg.cc8f9fb4906f5bd82c0a851257949517.jpg

The sloping part is made with non slip deck boards while the flat part is standard deck boards.  The flat area at the top of the ramp is 1.5 metres by 2 metres, way more that the required 1.2 metres square.

I was conscious that a structure like this could be prone to rot, so the area under the ramp was dug out, so the joists are not sat on the ground, but supported by a number of posts concreted in.  Where the grass adjoins the ramp, a sacrificial strip  of wood has been attached, spaced off from the joists and the soil / grass only touches that, not the joists, and the gap between them is filled with loose stones.

The slope of the ramp is a lot shallower than it could be, I basically took the length I had available and made the ramp that long to make it a gentle slope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Another project long in the making finally completed today after finally managing to find some more boards yesterday.

It's a timber ramp, built as a permanent structure, so hopefully it won't get shot down by building control.

ramp_1.thumb.jpg.bf71aa95efc9073b0038d9c5f5522346.jpg

ramp_2.thumb.jpg.cc8f9fb4906f5bd82c0a851257949517.jpg

The sloping part is made with non slip deck boards while the flat part is standard deck boards.  The flat area at the top of the ramp is 1.5 metres by 2 metres, way more that the required 1.2 metres square.

I was conscious that a structure like this could be prone to rot, so the area under the ramp was dug out, so the joists are not sat on the ground, but supported by a number of posts concreted in.  Where the grass adjoins the ramp, a sacrificial strip  of wood has been attached, spaced off from the joists and the soil / grass only touches that, not the joists, and the gap between them is filled with loose stones.

The slope of the ramp is a lot shallower than it could be, I basically took the length I had available and made the ramp that long to make it a gentle slope.

Ours just asked me to add 100 mill bumpers 

and make sure the platform in front of the door is level both ways 

Should sail through 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nod said:

Ours just asked me to add 100 mill bumpers 

and make sure the platform in front of the door is level both ways 

Should sail through 

They don't always like the bumpers, it's just your luck, I've seen some interesting ramps put in for completion inspections ?

Erm...sometimes even the most expensive projects fall foul of disability regs

https://www.galvanizing.org.uk/case-studies/bridge-southbank-marina/

I was involved with a disability access group when this was completed. No consultation was accepted (although offered) from the group and when the bridge was opened, the wheelchair group members immediately pointed out that although the slope was within regs, there were no level breaks 

If you have to push a big fella in a push wheelchair you soon appreciate that too long a push tires you out on a slope. The level breaks ( from memory every 10m) allow a breathing space
6DA7BD7A-DB2A-466E-AC59-7B734F3E69B0.jpeg.fd4e0e2054a8819e03895393468ee4ca.jpegThis beautiful bridge had to be closed and rectified at mega cost...top tip

Ask your local access group (they are common everywhere I believe) for lived life advice if you want a quality opinion

14 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

You're on the list @nod with that ?

Two different building BC where impressed with it 

One tried to lift it Both had to concede that it did indeed qualify as a DA All be it temporary 

It was on the non fire the following day 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1