Solar powered aerator pump for STP (temporary)

BotusBuild

I've read quote a few of the threads on STP and aerators. Does anyone know of a solar powered alternative that I can purchase to run the aerator temporarily?

Our next task on site it to fit an STP but we will not have power run to drive the aerator pump to begin with. We have a caravan onsite and want to empty the "porta potty" into the STP to save trips in the car to get rid of the contents (and the possible leakages that may occur on the way ?  ). I know this will mean using particular additives to stop bacterial homicide in the STP.

The main problem is that the pump uses around 30-40W continuously. That's hard to maintain with PV. In the winter in the UK that's roughly 1kW of PV with battery back up to run reliably. Some systems use more power than this too!

On 11/09/2020 at 07:33, andymb said:

sawdust/compost toilet - order and read "The Humanure Handbook", 4th Edition: Shit in a Nutshell for more convincing. It's worked for us for just over a year now.....

That's the option I'm going with - and that's for IN the house permanently.  I'm a convert!  :)  

If you  - or anyone else reading - are interested in the Humanure approach, I do believe the book is available as a free PDF download too; although donations are welcomed...

yes I was pretty sceptical when I first heard about the "humanure" approach, but I have to say that it's turned out to be much more manageable and much more pleasant than I was expecting.

Parts of the book are fairly repetitive, but certainly made me consider some aspects our approach to waste (e.g. why do we flush the toilet with fresh drinking water??)

Not used any humanure on the veg patch yet but next year.....