Quartz worktops

NSS

For a variety of reasons we are now leaning toward 20mm quartz worktops for our kitchen (rather than granite). From reading other threads, Silestone seems to be well regarded but we have one concern - heat resistance. We've been used (in our old house) to 30mm granite worktops (baltic brown) onto which Mrs NSS could happily place pans straight from the oven or hob with discernible issues. Am I right to assume that 'hot rods' or a trivet would be necessary with quartz, and if so does anyone have any experience of using self-adhesive hot rods?

You should really use hob bars with all worktops. Quartz itself withstands heat better than granite but the resin scorches. Granite doesnt have resin to scorch but its crystalline structure is unpredictable so granite failures are be more sudden and catastrophic but rare.

Use a trivet and quartz is overall a better product with much more choice of colour and texture compared to granite.

I spent ages agonising over granite versus Silestone for the new house. I am having Silestone as I want a 2.9m island with no joins and it comes in larger slabs than granite. Also our current lighter coloured granite has pitting. As I understand it dark coloured granite tends to be stronger, our previous black granite was perfectly smooth.

In my research I found enough stories of burned quartz worktops to concern me. The resin that glues the quartz together can burn, granite cannot. However, all stone tops recommend that you use a trivet anyway in case thermal shock results in cracking. This would be more likely with a 20mm top than 30mm.

Considering the enormous cost of the worktops I just wouldn't take the risk. I always use a trivet with pots and heavy oven dishes. Chances are it would be fine, but iyou only have to be unlucky once to destroy thousands worth of worktop.

We have moved over almost entirely to silicone oven dishes as they don't stick, are easy to clean and don't carry as much heat so you can put them onto the top without worrying.

Edited by AliG

Thanks guys, pretty much as I expected. Colour and size constraints are two of the big issues driving us toward Silestone. I'd still like to hear from anyone out there who's used the self-adhesive hot rods though if possible. Cheers :-) 

20 minutes ago, Montipora said:

We had the self adhesive rods at our previous home where we had acrylic worktops. They worked well never came loose, but are stainless steel effect and marked quite easily. 

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

The only thing my quartz worktop didn't like was oven pride. The wife had the oven bits in the bag cleaning away but there must have been a tiny hole and some of the solution leaked out and has left a stain.  Apart from that I have always tried to set hot pans on a trivet but sometimes I forgot but didn't do any damage.

Yep, I appreciate that, but my concern is what happens when you've forgotten to get a trivet out before opening the oven to baste the roast. Oh, it'll be okay this once.... too late.

37 minutes ago, NSS said:

Yep, I appreciate that, but my concern is what happens when you've forgotten to get a trivet out before opening the oven to baste the roast. Oh, it'll be okay this once.... too late.

Even if you have the roast in your hands you can put it back in the oven and get a trivet out.

my wife has started putting hot stuff directly on the Quartz. I keep telling her not to but she doesn't listen. 

1 minute ago, NSS said:

Which is precisely my worry!

It's not forgetfulness, it's

laziness and a cavalier attitude to risk.

but apparently you can't beat your wife so there's not much else I can do.

Put a tin on the worktop with some loose change in it, when the wife asked what it's for, tell her you'er starting to save for a new worktop, as the current one will need changing soon if she continues putting hot stuff directly on it!

• Like 1

Actually a baking tin or roasting tray left on the worktop for a few seconds isnt likely to damage it. In reality the metal is too thin to have any quantity of localised heat in it that it will transfer to the worktop. Its the thick bottomed pans that you have to worry about. 

1 hour ago, ryder72 said:

Actually a baking tin or roasting tray left on the worktop for a few seconds isnt likely to damage it. In reality the metal is too thin to have any quantity of localised heat in it that it will transfer to the worktop. Its the thick bottomed pans that you have to worry about. 

The majority of users don't think like that. One hot thing is the same as any other hot thing, it's hot.

It's like I've found that one of the unsung advantages of induction hobs compared to gas/electric/halogen is that my wife cannot brand it with Tesco's logo from a melted plastic bag.

55 minutes ago, daiking said:

... one of the unsung advantages of induction hobs compared to gas/electric/halogen is that my wife cannot brand it with Tesco's logo from a melted plastic bag.

My wife hasn't yet, but she'll find a way!  

Thank god I'm perfect :ph34r:

2 hours ago, daiking said:

The majority of users don't think like that. One hot thing is the same as any other hot thing, it's hot.

It's like I've found that one of the unsung advantages of induction hobs compared to gas/electric/halogen is that my wife cannot brand it with Tesco's logo from a melted plastic bag.

Point well made. :D

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Quite tempted to use the worktop as a place to store a couple of my spare porcelain floor tiles, as it will match and keep the worktop safe.

Ferdinand

Don't think offcuts of our Karndean flooring would be as effective O.o 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decision made, we're going for Silestone. Now all we need to do is settle the disagreement as to whether it's Blanco Stellar (wife's preference) or the far more practical option of Stellar Grey. No prizes for guessing who's likely to win that one!

I wanted grey but we are having Lyra.

Much as I'm a fan of grey as I think

it's more modern I don't see why you consider it more practical. The Blanco Stellar is v nice.

Edited by AliG

• 3 weeks later...
On 18 January 2017 at 23:47, AliG said:

I wanted grey but we are having Lyra.

Much as I'm a fan of grey as I think

it's more modern I don't see why you consider it more practical. The Blanco Stellar is v nice.

Sorry, I missed this reply. I guess I just feel the grey would take less to keep it looking clean than the blanco, but as suspected I lost that discussion so blanco it will be, though not ordered yet so still time to chip away at her ;-)