Where to run services - Vaulted Roof

Our House design includes a vaulted roof, the rafters are 215mm deep. Plyboard will be fitted on top of the rafters and then insulation applied from below. It will then be finished with plasterboard.

I have been told that it has to be full insulation between the Plyboard and plasterboard so I am wondering how do I install electrical services for the lights.

50mm batons on the underside of the rafters then plasterboard on top. Acts as a service void for electrics etc. We're also leaving a larger void at the peak by bringing batons across under the main ridge steel to give a 150mm service void for the MVHR ducting.

29 minutes ago, NewToAllOfThis said:

I have been told that there cannot be a gap between insulation and plasterboard as condensation would form in the gap?

Missed a detail - 50mm PIR insulation under the rafters, then airtightness membrane, all held in by 50mm batons screwed through to the rafters. That plus the gaps between 215mm rafters filled with rockwool will give you a u value of around 0.1. no ventilation required and no risk of condensation.

Who's advising you re insulation? Architect?

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NewToAllOfThis said:

I have been told that there cannot be a gap between insulation and plasterboard as condensation would form in the gap?

This person needs to explain how condensation will form on the warm side of insulation. He's talking out of his Rs, unless there is something very very different going on.

Suggest you do a little background reading on the physical mechanisms of condensation which will help you get to grips with the issue - condensation forms where warm moist air contacts a relatively cool surface, and if your insulation is doing its job the inside surface will be warm by definition.

Example of difference : inside of a single glazed window, but less on the inside of a double glazed window as it is better insulated and the inside pane should be warmer.

The sort of condensation he is talking about is called "interstitial condensation" (ie between the layers in your structure). But in an interior-plasterboard-service void-insulation-outside sandwich, the service void temp will be far closer to the interior temp than the exterior temp, so warm and should stay dry.

Brief intro eg here:

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Interstitial_condensation

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand