100mm concrete versus liquid screed.

Sandybay

Hi, 

Have to decide on how to finish the floor, not started the build yet so just checking things, had one quote for liquid screed 50mm,145sqm floor, £3,700 ex vat. 

Don't have anything to compare it to but thinking concrete would be better deal. 

I'm going for sand and cement screed, half the price of liquid. Issue with concrete is you'll need an awful lot of working to get it level and smooth enough for flooring, e.g. powerfloating. And getting it in to the house won't be easy. That'll soon eat away at any cost saving over screed.

Edited by Conor

Id probably get change out of £2500 for an 'agila' type self compacting concrete at 14.5m3

Then you have to lay it, did your other price include placing?

@Russell griffiths had a similar quandary recently but don't think he could get the concrete at the right money where he is?

Edited by Oz07

I decided on traditional sand and cement screed laid by hand 80mm thick, I’m very happy with it and glad I didn’t go down the liquid route, the quotes I had for liquid pumped screed where £2000 dearer. 

I did look at self compacting concrete but couldn’t find a plant close enough to deliver. 

You need to look at your time scale, my screed will need 80+ days to dry thoroughly, whereas the liquid version can be tiled on much quicker something like 14-20 days. 

I have been to 3 builds near me with liquid screed and I didn’t like any of them. But that’s me. 

180square metres cost me £3500.