New build on Loch Etive near Oban

DachaidhDubh

Hello all

I've been skulking around these forums for a few weeks gathering info (a lot of info!) in preparation for kicking off our build process.

We're building on a plot on Loch Etive, just outside Oban on the West Coast of Scotland. Me, my wife and two daughters (at high school) live in Oban just now - the plot is about 15 minutes drive - and we're planning to stay in our current house until the new one is ready.

The building drawings are just about to go in and we're about to start getting prices from builders. We need to save as much money as we can by doing what work we can ourselves (we're keen but fairly unskilled) and by buying materials carefully.

It's daunting and exciting at the same time, but I reckon we can handle it. (You can quote that back to me in 2 years time).

quite a common conundrum!  with something like this it might be worth looking into getting a kit and erection package, then you can manage everything else as individual packages and you've got a wind and watertight shell relatively quickly (unless of course your local joiner has a workshop for knocking out the kit panels)

That's definitely one option - our preferred builder (although we don't know if he's available / affordable yet) does have a nice big shed where he makes frames. Part of me likes the idea of getting it built in a factory and getting it watertight fast but then I'd like to keep the cash local too. And it would probably be cheaper I guess. We'll see

Hi and welcome, not far from you either, no new build for me.... into the renovation Of various buildings on my plot.....  and living a somewhat alternative lifestyle / retreatIng form mainstream.....   And generally enjoying my days while trying to be productive..... best of luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

Hi and welcome, not far from you either, no new build for me.... into the renovation Of various buildings on my plot.....  and living a somewhat alternative lifestyle / retreatIng form mainstream.....   And generally enjoying my days while trying to be productive..... best of luck. 

Thanks for the welcome!

Hi, little further up the way in Skye. Very close to finishing a self build next to a Loch. 

I like l living next to the Loch as we always have different stuff to look at. Whether it's the moon on the water, ducks floating by, a heron waiting for a fish or stormy waves.

We built a fairly simple shape and invested the savings in the fabric like your plan.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Hi, little further up the way in Skye. Very close to finishing a self build next to a Loch. 

I like l living next to the Loch as we always have different stuff to look at. Whether it's the moon on the water, ducks floating by, a heron waiting for a fish or stormy waves.

We built a fairly simple shape and invested the savings in the fabric like your plan.

Look Dreamer, you can be all smug about your views, but i get to see squashed badgers, and foxes. Brat kids from entitled backgrounds, and loads of tractors. So there.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Big Jimbo said:

Look Dreamer, you can be all smug about your views, but i get to see squashed badgers, and foxes. Brat kids from entitled backgrounds, and loads of tractors. So there.

Pretty squeamish about squashed animals on the roads. You know the ones you notice that slowly disintegrate each day when you pass.

Worse than that is when I'm driving and there is like a million frogs and toads hoping across the road. It's total carnage. 

• Like 1