Neighbour objection on neighbourhood consultation scheme leading to refusal

Paris22

Just now, Big Jimbo said:

A neighbour objecting is not enough...... Has the planning officer sent you the refusal in writing ? 

If that is what he is really saying, as his sole reason, ask to speak to the chief planning officer. It is not automatic that an objection received is enough under the NCS scheme

1 minute ago, Big Jimbo said:

A neighbour objecting is not enough...... Has the planning officer sent you the refusal in writing ? 

Yes and a long conversation with my husband insisting objection is enough. His reasons didn’t even match what the neighbour that complained was complaining of. I’m baffled! 

9 minutes ago, Paris22 said:

Yes and a long conversation with my husband insisting objection is enough. His reasons didn’t even match what the neighbour that complained was complaining of. I’m baffled! 

So he has other reasons for refusal.....Makes sense. Ask him to send you the reasons via email, and tell him you would like to address the issues raised by him, as you may be able to either adjust your design, or overcome his concerns. My elderly fathers neighbour applied under the scheme for a 6 mt rear entension. My father had no problem, and didn't object. However, the neighbour came around, saying he had been refused due to blocking the light to my fathers patio doors leading to his sitting room. Although my father had not objected, the planning officer had decided that to much natural light would be taken away, and had decided to refuse the scheme. You say the planning officers reasons do not match the objection, so there you go. Sounds like he has looked at the objection received and dismissed it. He obviously has other reasons why he had decided to refuse the scheme......He does not need to receive an objection from a neighbour, say, re light. He has the ability to decide that on his own. Your rear neighbour has nothing to do with your application being refused by the sounds of things. Unless you are going to enlighten us as to the actual reasons, we are unable to help you.

9 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

So he has other reasons for refusal.....Makes sense. Ask him to send you the reasons via email, and tell him you would like to address the issues raised by him, as you may be able to either adjust your design, or overcome his concerns. My elderly fathers neighbour applied under the scheme for a 6 mt rear entension. My father had no problem, and didn't object. However, the neighbour came around, saying he had been refused due to blocking the light to my fathers patio doors leading to his sitting room. Although my father had not objected, the planning officer had decided that to much natural light would be taken away, and had decided to refuse the scheme. You say the planning officers reasons do not match the objection, so there you go. Sounds like he has looked at the objection received and dismissed it. He obviously has other reasons why he had decided to refuse the scheme......He does not need to receive an objection from a neighbour, say, re light. He has the ability to decide that on his own. Your rear neighbour has nothing to do with your application being refused by the sounds of things. Unless you are going to enlighten us as to the actual reasons, we are unable to help you.

He invited us to put same application again, if we manage to get the neighbour onboard and no further objections he’ll grant it. How contradictory is that?! 

3 hours ago, Carrerahill said:
3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Personally I would not give them a penny, spend the money on a formal application.

The neighbour consultation scheme, also known as prior notification requires a 21day period where the neighbours of the property in question have the right to object with valid reasoning as to why the extension must not be built. After this the local authority have a further 21 days to issue the go ahead.

just found this, three words spring out.     WITH VALID REASONING.      your neighbours objections are not valid under planning policy and the planners saying if anyone objects they must refuse is plainly wrong (and lazy).

Totally agree - I was just jesting to be honest!

So was I, really! Perhaps a bit fasiciously, I was giving the guaranteed to work answer to the "Is there anything I can do?" question, and not the "What would I personally do?"question, which was  not what was  asked :-)

18 hours ago, Paris22 said:

Yes we could but we were saving our permittee development for our loft conversion. 

I could be wrong but PD can't be saved like that.
I believe (up here atleast) it looks into previous extensions to the house and calculating total new floor area of proposed PD compared to original property/property on a certain date.

But it's been a while since I've read into it.

I've been back over this thread and its intensely frustrating because so many posts are unclear.  

Earlier ProDave asked....

What planning reason did they give for refusal? 

and you replied..

The reasons are extension too big (he has an 8 metre extension) likely to make our garden smaller and may create privacy issues. Not in keeping with the area.

However you didn't say if those were the reasons given by the neighbour or by the planning officer? 

Then you said..

He invited us to put same application again, if we manage to get the neighbour onboard and no further objections he’ll grant it. How contradictory is that?! 

Can you cut to the chase and just post a scan of the formal decision letter (blank out the address and planning reference if you like).

• Like 1

So basically it has nothing at all to do with the objection and it's been assessed as too large against the local plan.

No matter what the planning officer has told you on the phone, what they have put in writing is what is recorded as the decision, putting the same application in again can't possibly be judged any differently on the basis of objections given the content of that report. 

Seems to me the planning officer was trying to get you off the phone or email as quickly as possible and blaming a neighbour is easier than taking responsibility for the decision...

1 minute ago, the_r_sole said:

So basically it has nothing at all to do with the objection and it's been assessed as too large against the local plan.

No matter what the planning officer has told you on the phone, what they have put in writing is what is recorded as the decision, putting the same application in again can't possibly be judged any differently on the basis of objections given the content of that report. 

Seems to me the planning officer was trying to get you off the phone or email as quickly as possible and blaming a neighbour is easier than taking responsibility for the decision...

Really? So is that it? Do I put the house up for sale? 

Or don't put a 6m deep extension on the back of your house? 

Design something more in keeping with the local policy and  surrounding  context?

Plenty of options,  take the report to a designer and get them to design something that addresses the bits which don't comply with policy...

6 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Or don't put a 6m deep extension on the back of your house? 

Design something more in keeping with the local policy and  surrounding  context?

Plenty of options,  take the report to a designer and get them to design something that addresses the bits which don't comply with policy...

My neighbours have. 6 metre extensions, the guy who objected has 8 metres,  and the law says you can extend up to 6 metres if you have a semi detached house. That’s a little bit unfair, no? 

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

“Breaches the 45’ rule “ (light fir your neighbour!!!!!!).

He denied this on the phone. They are all money grabbing liars. It’s a way to keep you applying and them collecting fees. A lot of our neighbours have them. The law says you have extend up to 6 metres if you are a semi, that means you have neighbours in close proximity. 

6 minutes ago, Paris22 said:

My neighbours have. 6 metre extensions, the guy who objected has 8 metres,  and the law says you can extend up to 6 metres if you have a semi detached house. That’s a little bit unfair, no? 

If that's the case you need to prove it formally in a planning application, his report clearly states it's much larger than adjacent extensions, if that isn't the case then you can disprove that,  thus my suggestion to give the report to a designer and address the reasons for refusal, it's not about what's fair or not, it's about what complies with current planning policies 

Edited by the_r_sole
  • Like 1

Just now, the_r_sole said:

If that's the case you need to prove it formally in a planning application, his report clearly states it's much larger than adjacent extensions, if that isn't the case then you can disprove that,  thus my suggestion to give the report to a designer and address the reasons for refusal, it's not about what's fair or not, it's about what complies with planning policies 

Thanks for your advice. Yes it’s all documented on the online planning register. Our architect is dealing with it for us. If need be I will go smaller, but I won’t go 3 metres. Just doesn’t make sense when all my neighbours have big extensions and have properties like mine. The comment about my garden, I have 100ft garden, I can afford to lose some. That’s a terrible reason