Neighbour objection on neighbourhood consultation scheme leading to refusal

Paris22

4 hours ago, Paris22 said:

Yes we could but we were saving our permittee development for our loft conversion. 

You don’t get one of those you get as much as you want. Nothing stopping you doing loft plus extension on PD. 

And a 7ft long penis on a panel at the end of the garden over his fence ... tastefully hidden from your view ... 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You don’t get one of those you get as much as you want. Nothing stopping you doing loft plus extension on PD. 

And a 7ft long penis on a panel at the end of the garden over his fence ... tastefully hidden from your view ... 

thank you, we are very new to this. Can he object to my loft conversion? 

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

??

11 minutes ago, Paris22 said:

Not if its done under permitted development and only "valid planning reasons" are grounds for refusal if you make a planning application.

8 hours ago, Paris22 said:

No - Permitted Development is just that. It is something you can do with deemed prior permission. You need to meet building regulations but it does not need permission as long as it is within the guidance. 

All the details are here https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/36/loft_conversion

11 hours ago, Paris22 said:

One other thing, if I were to sell my property would I have to disclose this to my buyers on the sellers property information form?  Can it be classed as a neighbour dispute? 

This is NOT classed as having a dispute with your neighbour, and would not need to be disclosed if you were to sell your property at any time in the future.

Last night I thought What of I appeal this decision before going to full planning? I have time, and gives me time to save up for my Reno. Take the angle that the case officer didn’t analyse the case properly. A lot of contradictory reasons were given. 

I don’t think you have anything to lose.

Is the procedure noted down anywhere?

You should have a strong argument that the extension is over 200ft from your neighbour so has no impact on his amenity and there are many similar extensions in the area so it is in keeping.

Did they put the reasons for not giving permission in writing? Irrespective of what he may have said on the phone you would only have to argue against the actual stated reasons for not giving permission.

Unfortunately i have found that Planning departments can be both lazy, have very poor quality officers, who have very little confidence in making, or forming there own opinions. Where i am there areatleast 2 planning officers who are inclined to consider that they should go with the general consensus. ie: The (untrained) Parish council have objected...Local residents have objected. Your neighbour objecting to your proposal is nothing more that a trigger that the planning officer should be looking at his reasons for objecting, and deciding if they are material considerations that he needs to take into account. Obviously, we don't have the benefit of seeing the refusal, and the reasons given, but, in my opinion, even if you managed to speak to the head of planning, you are unlikely to get them to change there position. (They protect there own) Permitted Developement rights, of which the neighbourhood consultation scheme is part of, is granted in law, not planning policies. If the only reason that you have been refused is due to a neighbour objecting i would be very surprised. What are the other reasons ? I think that without addressing the reasons for refusal, it would be pointless just putting in the same application, for the same scheme, for full planning permission. You would simply get the same result, with the same reasons. Address the reasons for refusal before you go any further.......We, on this site, may be able to help, but it may be that you will now need a local planning consultant to help you "get over" the reasons for refusal, to enable you to present a suitable scheme for full planning permission.

Before anybody starts with the "but they have to follow Policies, and the NPPF" take a long hard look, and a very good read.....They are typical of all government and local authority policies. Most of them have been written in such a way, as they can be construde as to how the reader wishes to interperet them. That is why it is called the planning game.

Edited by Big Jimbo
missed a bit

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

£1000 tends to do it.

Personally I would not give them a penny, spend the money on a formal application.

The neighbour consultation scheme, also known as prior notification requires a 21day period where the neighbours of the property in question have the right to object with valid reasoning as to why the extension must not be built. After this the local authority have a further 21 days to issue the go ahead.

just found this, three words spring out.     WITH VALID REASONING.      your neighbours objections are not valid under planning policy and the planners saying if anyone objects they must refuse is plainly wrong (and lazy).

• Like 1

I can't believe this has rumbled on for three pages! either we aren't getting the full story as to what the planning officer has said in their reasons for refusal or the op should just get a planning application submitted and ignore what non-planning policy related objections the neighbour has

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Personally I would not give them a penny, spend the money on a formal application.

The neighbour consultation scheme, also known as prior notification requires a 21day period where the neighbours of the property in question have the right to object with valid reasoning as to why the extension must not be built. After this the local authority have a further 21 days to issue the go ahead.

just found this, three words spring out.     WITH VALID REASONING.      your neighbours objections are not valid under planning policy and the planners saying if anyone objects they must refuse is plainly wrong (and lazy).

Totally agree - I was just jesting to be honest!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Paris22 said:

Why are people so spiteful and go about things in a very inconsiderate way?

Some people discover such behaviour can create a platform for their success in life, it is learned behaviour. A fair number of very senior corporate executives are certifiable psychopaths.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paris22 said:

Last night I thought What of I appeal this decision before going to full planning? I have time, and gives me time to save up for my Reno. Take the angle that the case officer didn’t analyse the case properly. A lot of contradictory reasons were given. 

Is it possible that the collective wisdom of the forum has not considered one possibility namely that full time professional planners are competent ?

I have a suspicion that the objection from git at the back was dismissed by the planners and one of the "nice" near neighbours is lying and was the source of the credible objection.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Is it possible that the collective wisdom of the forum has not considered one possibility namely that full time professional planners are competent ?

I have a suspicion that the objection from git at the back was dismissed by the planners and one of the "nice" near neighbours is lying and was the source of the credible objection.

Dead simple then - put in a SAR (Subject Access Request) and they legally have to provide the information as it is about you. They are allowed to remove the personal information as to who said what, but they have to provide the objection. 

37 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Now you're seriously pushing it ?

although I do think we don't have the full picture on what the formal reasons for refusal were

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Unfortunately i have found that Planning departments can be both lazy, have very poor quality officers, who have very little confidence in making, or forming there own opinions. Where i am there areatleast 2 planning officers who are inclined to consider that they should go with the general consensus. ie: The (untrained) Parish council have objected...Local residents have objected. Your neighbour objecting to your proposal is nothing more that a trigger that the planning officer should be looking at his reasons for objecting, and deciding if they are material considerations that he needs to take into account. Obviously, we don't have the benefit of seeing the refusal, and the reasons given, but, in my opinion, even if you managed to speak to the head of planning, you are unlikely to get them to change there position. (They protect there own) Permitted Developement rights, of which the neighbourhood consultation scheme is part of, is granted in law, not planning policies. If the only reason that you have been refused is due to a neighbour objecting i would be very surprised. What are the other reasons ? I think that without addressing the reasons for refusal, it would be pointless just putting in the same application, for the same scheme, for full planning permission. You would simply get the same result, with the same reasons. Address the reasons for refusal before you go any further.......We, on this site, may be able to help, but it may be that you will now need a local planning consultant to help you "get over" the reasons for refusal, to enable you to present a suitable scheme for full planning permission.

Before anybody starts with the "but they have to follow Policies, and the NPPF" take a long hard look, and a very good read.....They are typical of all government and local authority policies. Most of them have been written in such a way, as they can be construde as to how the reader wishes to interperet them. That is why it is called the planning game.

Yes but he is saying a neighbour objecting is enough, the reasons are irrelevant. I think I need to get a planning lawyer.