Timber shortage?

ProDave

Is this a national problem or just some local issue?

I have been waiting weeks for planed Oak to finish my door frames, I keep getting told "4 weeks"

I tried to buy some decking material, no treated 6 by 2 joists, I bought the last two 5 by 2 joists.  No decking planks in any of the merchants or the sawmill near here.

Most merchants are almost out of all types of construction timber.  One told me "it's stuck in quarantine at the ports"

More work on hold, waiting for materials.  I seem to be doing a lot of that this year.  I might get desparate enough that I go and see if B&Q has any.

Shortages are evident over on my little island too. Can't get 2"x2" treated battening for anything like a reasonable price and delivery schedule at the moment. (Not holding me up yet, but give it a couple of weeks...)  Slate battens are still available, but I have a big pile of those. I was told a similar story that it is stuck in the supply chain getting in to the country.

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It's not like it grows on trees...

And obviously our local "saw mill" does not actually do much, if any milling themselves. They are just a timber yard buying the stuff in and selling it.

Plenty of trees being harvested here but they all seem to head straight for Norboards factory, so in theory we ought to be able to buy sheets of OSB. Or the wood pellet chipping factory.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/diy-surge-makes-timber-a-hot-commodity-n30zktr9l

DIY surge makes timber a hot commodity

Tom Howard

Tuesday September 01 2020, 12.01am, The Times

Builders’ merchants are struggling to keep their warehouses stocked with lengths of timber as the lockdown DIY boom sends lumber prices through the roof.

Prices have risen by 119 per cent this year to a record $887 (£653) per thousand board feet, as homeworking fuelled a wave of renovation projects in Britain and across the world.

I bought a load of treated decking planks and support joists a few weeks ago (north Cheshire) and only had to wait 1 week for delivery but the timber merchant told me that their warehouse was emptying as soon as a delivery arrived