Total Station Questions

Ferdinand

I'm just beginning to think about a substantial (ish) project at my real home for 1-2 years time, which may also involve a certain amount of garden remodelling.

That would be a rearrangement of rooms and a loggia / car port across the front, new gates and a few other bits.

I am exploring some of the pros and cons of a secondhand Total Station. This is not something I know that much about, though I have helped with surveys in the past - holding the staff for dad etc, or done small ones and the trig calculations, and am used to commissioning them.

1 - Is it Leica Leica Leica, or are there credible alternatives?

2 - If I want one which does GPS so can be used by one person, what budget am I looking at for something that will last for say 5-10 years?

(All very approximately)

Cheers

Ferdinand

Decent second hand total station fully rigged with GPS and calibrated will set you back £3500 or so. Will also need the desktop software to go with it, so budget another £5-800 depending on whether you want a fully featured 2D or 3D CAD

You can buy them second hand on eBay with no calibration certs for about £750, but you have no idea what they have been through. Any decent TS with certs below £500 is certainly nicked. 

You can hire a TS for about £60 for a weekend or £125 for a week - I know what I would do.