Complete Novice waiting for a shed

Geordie1982

Hi everyone,

Im Davey living near Warrington in Cheshire, ordered a shed which is coming mid November hopefully. 
im ok’ish at diy but not many tools as no where to store them in the house hence why a shed is needed plus getting into mountain bailing with the kids ??

The shed is a 10’ x 10’ pent workshop, I went for a workshop as the roof was higher than a standard shed, it’s having double doors on the front left side and 2 windows with 1 being able to open. 
I paid a bit more and went for 3x2 framing and 22ml tanalised timber. 

I know I could probably of got someone to make one cheaper but COVID has put a stop to doing most things as everyone is booked up for months, ours is taking 4 months ??

Will be getting a new patio laid for it to be put on and the company are putting the shed on bearers to help with air flow oh and armoured cable laid at the same time as patio. 

so will have many questions regarding insulating the floor walls and roof and boarding it out and more then likely see if anyone else is keeping multiple bikes in their sheds. 

speak soon Davey 

feel free to make me envious with pictures of your shed/man caves 

The first thing i would do is look at your new shed security. My previous next door neighbour, who was big into road, and mountain biking had his shed done 4 times in 2 years. I was always convinced that it was somebody who knew him, and knew he had £50 grands worth of bikes in there. Also if you are running electrics, fit an alarm. Enjoy your new shed.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

And make a database of targets for thieves? 

Not exactly my intentions hence why I didn’t ask for everyone’s house number and postcode. 
but thanks for that sarcastic reply to a newbies post made me feel really welcome ??

23 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

The first thing i would do is look at your new shed security. My previous next door neighbour, who was big into road, and mountain biking had his shed done 4 times in 2 years. I was always convinced that it was somebody who knew him, and knew he had £50 grands worth of bikes in there. Also if you are running electrics, fit an alarm. Enjoy your new shed.

Yes was thinking of coach bolts or one way screws and also putting so mesh over the inside of the windows and maybe even tinting them. 
Good idea about the alarm ?

35 minutes ago, Geordie1982 said:

Yes was thinking of coach bolts or one way screws and also putting so mesh over the inside of the windows and maybe even tinting them. 
Good idea about the alarm ?

If they want to get in, they go through the walls. Locks and bolts work fine but I’ve seen them peel back the wall to get into a shed. 

If you’ve got tools then get a van vault or tool store and bolt it or chain it to a concrete block set in the ground below the floor. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If they want to get in, they go through the walls. Locks and bolts work fine but I’ve seen them peel back the wall to get into a shed. 

If you’ve got tools then get a van vault or tool store and bolt it or chain it to a concrete block set in the ground below the floor. 

Yea I suppose like you say if they want it they will take it, it’s just all about making it that little bit harder so it takes them longer or they move onto an easier target. 

15 minutes ago, Temp said:

Sketchup design..

Picture.jpg.d26353ae6f7b3f465c1465d336aa9c99.jpg

Finished shed..

IMG_3325a.jpg.6a1d20db37aeaa66f9ef85ee0ab975ab.jpg

Sorry mate but that ain’t a shed it’s a bloody lodge, it’s bigger than the whole downstairs of my house would love something like that but I know the other half would paint it pink and make it hers ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/09/2020 at 21:24, Geordie1982 said:

Sorry mate but that ain’t a shed it’s a bloody lodge, it’s bigger than the whole downstairs of my house would love something like that but I know the other half would paint it pink and make it hers ???

Yay. Another posh-shed-o-skeptic.

• Haha 1

On 07/09/2020 at 20:17, Geordie1982 said:

Not exactly my intentions hence why I didn’t ask for everyone’s house number and postcode. 
but thanks for that sarcastic reply to a newbies post made me feel really welcome ??

My sincere apologies. I did not intend sarcasm.  I try hard not offend, but in this case, not hard enough it seems. Our recent visit by thieves has made me a little raw. 

• Like 1