Off Grid Toilet Block

Triassic

Here’s a bit of a challenge!

I’ve been asked to prepare a design brief for an off grid toilet block on a Scout camp. I’m thinking a concrete raft, block walls, pitched roof, containing  4 self contained toilets with wash sink in each. As it’s off grid I’m struggling to come up with a design for the hot water.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Does it actually need hot water, or is it just a case of "would be nice"? If it's a bit optional then an all-in-one solar system is probably a good bet.

image.png.2d4c60120ebb426de2a4ccd080a4b999.png

I'm assuming that most scout camping is in reasonable weather, and it'll be shut down in winter - this would be a doddle to drain down and cover over for the winter.

Edit: clearer image

Thermosiphon Water Heater, Thermosiphon Solar Water Heater - Apricus Solar  Water Heater

Edited by pdf27
  • Like 1

LPG instant hot water heater. If you get one such as the ones used on a canal boat they only need a 12v supply that you can provide using a couple of leisure batteries and a solar panel on the roof keeping it all topped up. 

Morco and Rinnai are makes to look out for. 

• Like 1

One of my more unusual jobs was wiring a public toilet on an off the beaten track location.  It was a composting toilet, and the wiring consisted of a 12V battery charged by a solar panel and a small wind turbine, to power a fan to ventilate the toilet, and power an LED light on a motion sensor.

the silly thing was building control still insisted on an EIC for the wiring.

So something like that and an LPG instant water heater, think caravan equipment. Something like we have in the static caravan that will do up to 10kW water heating.  Ours was a Morco.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Spolit nowadays by the sounds of things. When I was in the Scouts first thing we had to do at camp was dig the bfo lat pit. Skip's toddler son fell in one year. 

Yes and it’s only because the little darlings don’t know (and neither do the leaders tbh) about the distances to dig latrines from a water course is the reason why they don’t do that any more !!