Drainage pipework

Mike_scotland

Hi,

Looking for some information - running along the boundary of my plot there is a waste water pipework from a house next door, shortly we will be making a entry to begin working - the neighbours are saying the pipe is quite flimsy and only a few ft down and will require protection before diggers and machinery cross over it.(I understand that) also I dont want sewage pouring into my plot so my architect was saying we would get a structural engineer involved and will likely concrete the pipe in at the entrance so traffic can cross it.

Anyone ever done this? Or has anyone got any other ideas? What sort of cost do we think we should be looking at for this?

By my understanding we would dig down to the pipe and concrete around it and fit s inspection hatch.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I think I would check out the pipe yourself - if necessary hand dig a hole and find the pipe to see what its made of and how deep.  Many pipes are "only a few feet down". We have supposedly brittle asbestos cement water main under part of our plot. Builder put loads of hardcore down to make a small road around the house and it survived.  

Depending how deep it it it might pay you to send them away for the weekend while you dig up the whole thing and replace with plastic? 

We had a neibours pipe running parallel to our house Brick lorry's etc running along it 

It was BC that told us that we needed to deal with it before we started building 

Whilst it wouldn’t have been to hard to avoid He did point out that once the scaffold was up it would push all traffic on top of the drain 

We ran our two branches off it Then hand dig around the drain then filled the trench with concrete 

All’s been well since 

Hi guys,

The drain runs east to west on the south boundary of our plot - we 100% need to do something as we will need to use the pipe to gain access to the rest of the plot.

It is in the planning that it needs to be sorted and explained in detail before we can start or something.

I'm just trying to budget now so wondering what the cost will be, I think I would only have to do 3m wide or so just enough to cover an entrance.

As others have said - you need to excavate it by hand digging to find the level then need to excavate under it until you get some firm ground.  Best way to secure it is then pour a bridging collar around it - that’s 12” all round all sides, at each end and in the middle of the proposed driveway, and then you excavate the gaps between your 3 collars and make it solid concrete. 

Once you have that, back fill with hardcore and make sure it is well compacted in layers as you go. Depending on the final driveway finish I would be tempted to then put a 6” base coat tarmac down with proper edgings and then leave it ready for top coat when you’ve finished the build.