Architect Fee - Is this expensive

Either you have added a basement into the scope of works or you haven't and it's always been part of what the architect has quoted for.

If they haven't quoted for it, you should have them double check that they can still say they are properly insured for works involving a basement.

you've said in one post that the floor area has increase to around 650m2 but then you've said that it's always been in the scope of work...

10 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

Either you have added a basement into the scope of works or you haven't and it's always been part of what the architect has quoted for.

If they haven't quoted for it, you should have them double check that they can still say they are properly insured for works involving a basement.

you've said in one post that the floor area has increase to around 650m2 but then you've said that it's always been in the scope of work...

If I say its increased, its been because the house was always 400-650 depending on whether or not a basement was to be added. The house itself wont change size wise at around the 440sqm mark, but adding the basement takes it to the upper limit i mentioned. Sorry to confuse ;)

20 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

If I say its increased, its been because the house was always 400-650 depending on whether or not a basement was to be added. The house itself wont change size wise at around the 440sqm mark, but adding the basement takes it to the upper limit i mentioned. Sorry to confuse ;)

That's still confusing. 

Did the scope you agreed with the architect include a basement?!

If not you have significantly changed the scope of their work and they might not have sufficient insurance to cover the project as basements have extra risks associated with them.

I appreciate that the footprint of the building hasn't changed but the floor area has... what you're saying is like, well its the same size of building I've just added 18 floors on top so it's not really got any bigger... ?

1 minute ago, the_r_sole said:

Why would you go for outline planning rather than detailed? You can get away without a huge amount of detail for outline planning 

to see if the plot was likely to gain planning without spending huge amounts, do you have a rough idea what this would cost me from an architect?

22 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

to see if the plot was likely to gain planning without spending huge amounts, do you have a rough idea what this would cost me from an architect?

Without a house designed you're looking at a day really (we do a PPP application as a fixed fee thing for individual houses but I've not seen that very often)

It does depend a little on what your local authority want to see and also the nature of a site, and if you're in a conservation area or some other controlled zone might mean you can't submit an outline application...

2 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

Without a house designed you're looking at a day really (we do a PPP application as a fixed fee thing for individual houses but I've not seen that very often)

It does depend a little on what your local authority want to see and also the nature of a site, and if you're in a conservation area or some other controlled zone might mean you can't submit an outline application...

theres a floor plan, elevations, site plan, location plan etc all been done for outline application plus a few meetings so far, £1000?

24 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

theres a floor plan, elevations, site plan, location plan etc all been done for outline application plus a few meetings so far, £1000?

so you've done a load of work and don't know what their invoice is going to be?

For that amount of work (without me seeing it or knowing how much back and forth) you could be 2400+ easily (4/5 days)

I bought a plot a few years ago with outline pp.  The plans consisted of 1:1250 identifying the site and a 1:500 (I think) that just showed the outlines of 3 detached dwellings on the plot.

Elsewhere we have wanted to gain outline PP and have been told by the LPA that a full application is required.

35 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

so you've done a load of work and don't know what their invoice is going to be?

For that amount of work (without me seeing it or knowing how much back and forth) you could be 2400+ easily (4/5 days)

Don’t RIBA require you these days to issue a fees schedule and estimates before work is commenced ..? I thought in the dim and distant past it was part of membership code of practice ..? Or has that all gone ..??

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Don’t RIBA require you these days to issue a fees schedule and estimates before work is commenced ..? I thought in the dim and distant past it was part of membership code of practice ..? Or has that all gone ..??

You have to have a proper appointment yeah, but you can work on an agreed hourly rate or some other method of calculating fees (it just has to be detailed and agreed on appointment) but it is amazing the very loose interpretations I've seen of "appointments" ?