caravan act compliant home eligible for vat claim back?

Certain caravans are 5% and others 0% (eg if they meet BS 3632:2015) but that's when sold by a VAT registered company. The VAT Self build reclaim scheme is something else. Id be surprised if they are eligible. 

48 minutes ago, beestafford said:

we will have a certificate of lawfulness for the build.

On what grounds? See my reply to your other thread..

Edited by Temp

If your builder is VAT registered and can build you a caravan that meets sections 2.1 and 2.2 then I believe he can zero rate it to you (so you have no VAT to reclaim)...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-treatment-of-caravans-and-houseboats-notice-70120#section2

Aside: You may want better standards than required to meet the VAT rules. Some places that sell caravans to BS 3632:2015 also offer caravans upgraded to higher standards that also meet building regulations for insulation etc. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

What will you use as your proof of completion?  the certificate of lawfulness just says you may do it, not that you have completed doing it.

hmmm, i see the problem here, i will have nothing to prove its completion.

2 minutes ago, beestafford said:

hmmm, i see the problem here, i will have nothing to prove its completion.

You have to send HMRC a copy of the planning permission too. Has your plot been legally separated from the existing house and the dwelling and the land it’s on able to be sold separately? If not then it’s not eligible for the reclaim regardless of what property you build.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newhome said:

You have to send HMRC a copy of the planning permission too. Has your plot been legally separated from the existing house and the dwelling and the land it’s on able to be sold separately? If not then it’s not eligible for the reclaim regardless of what property you build.  

no it hasnt been legally separated yet. it will be by the time we build though. but i think from what everyone has been saying we are not eligable

I design and build log cabins in accordance with the caravan act. If you are planning to put it through as a caravan then you will have to prove it complies and that it's capable of being moved. If your using a lightweight wall system, then the very simplest way will be to build off a rolling chassis - a 6 x 17m one will costs about £2,500.00 delivered. Good luck if your local council get interested and start asking questions. I had structural calculations commissioned proving my very heavy cabins can be lifted by a ”MIStructE” (this was requested) engineer and had to put together a comprehensive method statement demonstrating how it complies and meets the caravan act and I suggest you should get this accepted by your local planning and building control to prevent future complications.

BS3632 is not that hard to achieve. In terms of VAT form a LTD company, voluntarily register for VAT - claim VAT back on all materials and zero rate the supply of the caravan (not groundworks, removable goods etc) - not sure HMRC will like people openly doing this and if you are not achieving BS3632 in every way it should not be 0% rated so it could get you in bother.

13 hours ago, beestafford said:

no it hasnt been legally separated yet. it will be by the time we build though. but i think from what everyone has been saying we are not eligable

I think you need to clarify how you intend to get this passed by the planners..

Can you get a certificate of lawfulness on the grounds that occupation is incidental to the main house if its on a separate plot of land?