Window Design & MVHR

Just a thought I've decided to post in case anyone comes across while deciding what to do with their windows...

In hindsight I would have specced a lot less openers on the windows and had a lot more direct glazed. It's my first house with this ventilation system so I was a bit green. It would have saved cost and sometimes improved aesthetics. Apart from satisfying MOE requirements I'd cut down to the minimum openers and save some money. You literally never use them. I've got 2 openers either side of my french doors with a transome halfway through the frame. These could have been full length direct glazed would of looked better and been cheaper. In the lounge i've got 6 opening casements, ridiculous, i'd of just had 2 in the windows on opposite walls. The windows which were split into 3 sections being 1.8m wide i've had 2 openers and 1 fixed pane in centre, I would have reversed this in hindsight.

Just a tip in case anyone is as green as I was and it doesn't occur to them to save some money!

• Thanks 1

Yes, I have specified very few openers for my build. The only openers I am having are the ones required for evacuation from the bedrooms and even then the are the minimum size to satisfy the requirement. I have no openers at all in my living room. And none of my (9x) rooflights open either.

MVHR will do its job.

26 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Yes, I have specified very few openers for my build. The only openers I am having are the ones required for evacuation from the bedrooms and even then the are the minimum size to satisfy the requirement. I have no openers at all in my living room. And none of my (9x) rooflights open either.

MVHR will do its job.

You might regret that when the MVHR packs up ;)

I did this too, although I was disappointed that opening windows were only slightly cheaper than fixed.

However, fixed windows have slimmer frames, better U-Values and less to break/maintain.

I would caution, however, that if your well insulated house starts to overheat it is good to be able to open a window. So I would want at least one opener in every room. We have only one room with no openers in the whole house and of course it is the hottest room in the house.

12 hours ago, gc100 said:

What about building regs ? I’m sure they is a requirement about this for fire escape or purging air 

16 hours ago, Miek said:

I'm not saying eliminate openers, just don't go OTT like I did. Brain was still speccing windows as if it would be a normal house without ventilation

• Like 1

On 06/09/2020 at 04:06, AliG said:

Only upstairs

Not for me at least. My TV room had to have an opening window specified by building control. I've got around it by not putting a door on the room as it joins the kitchen/living area anyhow so would be left open all the time.

4 hours ago, gc100 said:

Not for me at least. My TV room had to have an opening window specified by building control. I've got around it by not putting a door on the room as it joins the kitchen/living area anyhow so would be left open all the time.

Ah, I think a downstairs room that has a door that opens into another room, not the hall (main means of escape) needs its own escape route. So a TV Room with a door to the kitchen would need an opening window, but by not having a door they would be considered all one room with a door to the hall.

On 05/09/2020 at 15:06, Oz07 said:

Just a thought I've decided to post in case anyone comes across while deciding what to do with their windows...

In hindsight I would have specced a lot less openers on the windows and had a lot more direct glazed. It's my first house with this ventilation system so I was a bit green. It would have saved cost and sometimes improved aesthetics. Apart from satisfying MOE requirements I'd cut down to the minimum openers and save some money. You literally never use them. I've got 2 openers either side of my french doors with a transome halfway through the frame. These could have been full length direct glazed would of looked better and been cheaper. In the lounge i've got 6 opening casements, ridiculous, i'd of just had 2 in the windows on opposite walls. The windows which were split into 3 sections being 1.8m wide i've had 2 openers and 1 fixed pane in centre, I would have reversed this in hindsight.

Just a tip in case anyone is as green as I was and it doesn't occur to them to save some money!

Out of curiosity, how about openers in bathrooms - assuming you have them, do they get used?

Another plus of less openers is that you'll have less air leakage. Very easy to seal a fixed compared to an opener.

I don't find that you need openers in bathrooms with MVHR.

The only exception is if you have an actual bath in the room. If you like to have long hot baths the room can get quite hot and stuffy and it is nice to open a window.

For me, the only change to windows than MVHR made, is none of the windows need trickle vents.

Ihe amount of openings are determined by building regs and preferance.  I would not want a room without an opening window.

In summer it is nice to open windows for various reasons, and if they are decent windows then when shut they are sealed.

I would make it all a choice based on what you like in a room and the only thing mvhr affects is no need for vents in the windows.

• Like 2

I still would (and do) have openers in the bathrooms. You'd regret it if the MVHR packed up and couldn't sort it for a few days.

I just made the post because it didn't occur to me how much less I have them open. I open window to get fresh air but I don't need to. As above just cut the excessive amount down.

we havnt moved in yet, but in the current / previous houses we always sleep with the bedroom window open, winter and summer as we like a cold breeze when sleeping and cant ever remember turning a radiator on in any bedroom in any house we have lived in.

6 hours ago, AliG said:

I don't find that you need openers in bathrooms with MVHR.

The only exception is if you have an actual bath in the room. If you like to have long hot baths the room can get quite hot and stuffy and it is nice to open a window.

We have baths in two of our bathrooms and the MVHR deals effectively with the steam, neither room ever becomes stuffy, I double ducted the extracts so well in excess of BR flow rates.

All of our 'feature' windows are non opening - they are either horizontal or vertical slot style windows so have relatively little glass.

Bedrooms all have full sized opening windows / balcony doors as do downstairs rooms.

Basement has non-opening units  - one opening would have been handy for stack ventilation in summer (there is an external door but not comfortable having that open at night!!)

Main pain of non opening windows is cleaning them, all of our openers open inward so easy to keep clean!

On 05/09/2020 at 18:34, Miek said:

Maybe in a power cut but aside from that it's unlikely.