New Build Monitoring Health & Safety

12 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

I can either rent it out once complete

Not if you want to reclaim the VAT as that doesn’t meet the criteria for a self build reclaim. 

12 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

Yes going gas, so probably about £1k for the UVC and another £1500 for the 40KW boiler plus other parts and fittings.

A decent boiler will cost you that alone, plus on top you would have controls and flues etc 

If you haven’t got plans or planning, I would get those done first and then spend £200 on having one of the online QS companies run it through their systems and then consider what your budget will stretch to. for example, £6k for an en-suite to include all fixtures fittings, tiling, installation etc is incredibly tight so if you only go over by £1k each one, that’s another £5k gone.

I would have a 10% contingency on that size project, with probably 20% on the groundworks / basement but I would have a minimum £125k on the basement costs where you only have £50k for all groundworks. 

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Not if you want to reclaim the VAT as that doesn’t meet the criteria for a self build reclaim. 

A decent boiler will cost you that alone, plus on top you would have controls and flues etc 

If you haven’t got plans or planning, I would get those done first and then spend £200 on having one of the online QS companies run it through their systems and then consider what your budget will stretch to. for example, £6k for an en-suite to include all fixtures fittings, tiling, installation etc is incredibly tight so if you only go over by £1k each one, that’s another £5k gone.

I would have a 10% contingency on that size project, with probably 20% on the groundworks / basement but I would have a minimum £125k on the basement costs where you only have £50k for all groundworks. 

Thanks Peter. I didnt realise that I could not reclaim the VAT if I was renting it out. I need to review this in more detail. I guess VAT reclaim only works if I intend on living in it too and not selling it on straight away. To live in the property I would look to rent out my current residential. I guess it depends on how much VAT I would look to reclaim....which I guess would be less than £30,000 anyway. If my rent more than covers the build and profit, I am not as bothered about the VAT at that point.

The 50k for the basement is probably light I agree as there is a lot of work involved here. A guy next to my dads is having a basement dug now so I will go in and ask him as they are doing a basement with pool and its some 700SQM build overall.

https://www.estimators-online.com/ is one I will take a look at. Thanks for all your advice, its very much appreciated