Hello again - work has finally started

AliG

One of the last two jobs is just being done, the garden walls. The stone has taken ages to come.

We fitted a strip of powder coated aluminium to match the windows onto the wall and put a slurry coat n before the render. Hopefully this will stop the render getting too wet and blowing. So many garden walls that I see have the render cracked and falling off.

I have noticed at one point on the house where the render comes down to the arch around the front door, the bottom edge is starting to go green above the arch as the water sits on top of the stone and runs into the render. We need to find a way to stop this, either a mastic band or a small flashing. We may mastic the back edge of the bench seat shown here as otherwise we might have the same issue where water sits on the seat and runs back into the wall.

The last job after that will be the front gate, which I am told is imminent.

I have wanted to do a photoshoot, but wanted everything to be finished.

I have bought myself a Nilfisk wet and dry vac, my wife has been laughing as I may have been vacuuming outside today after the work.

IMG_7610.JPG

IMG_7611.JPG

Edited by AliG
  • Like 3

That was considered, tbf the wall was sitting there for about a year and didn't get that wet before the slurry coat was applied so hopefully we are OK. We did put in some field drains behind the wall to take away large amounts of water.

43 minutes ago, AliG said:

That was considered, tbf the wall was sitting there for about a year and didn't get that wet before the slurry coat was applied so hopefully we are OK. We did put in some field drains behind the wall to take away large amounts of water.

I recall at the time people were suggesting dpm or even roofing felt behind the wall.

I think it was Firwood Paints Black Bitumen I used....cos it was free! 

• 5 months later...

The last job is finally getting done, putting in the gates. They are up but still have to be centred and the electric connected. We think they look great.

Then the builders have to come back for snagging. There isn't too much to do. Probably around a week's work.

I need to jet wash the garden walls.

IMG_8232.JPG

IMG_8233.jpg

• Like 5