Extreme Tiling

Pocster

Ok - title slightly mis leading !

SWMBO inspected my ensuite effort so far , I was given the thumbs up ! 

?????

Unfortunately she is now delusional that my tiling skills are not finite !

And so forms her vision .....

The grey stripped mosaic tiles will run in a vertical strip floor to ceiling ( 2 strips in the bathroom somewhere ) . The pale tiles also run vertical but joints staggered ?

So ! My assumption this is more tricky and therefore more prone to f up’s .

For starters tiling ‘conventially’ i.e  horizontally you start half a course up to allow for the bottom tiles to be cut to suit the floor level .

No floor tiles are going down until walls done as that feels like a big job full of fun in itself . Therefore how do I start my strips ?

I should of done a sh*t tiling job in the ensuite then SWMBO would of expected less ?

7787F2D3-0EA2-4CE5-A33E-3FFED31EB27B.jpeg

55193469-D148-4584-A406-A1E165445914.jpeg

• Like 1

I always tile floor first, so wall tile comes down onto floor tile.  Less chance of a leak and looks correct.

But then i always tile up from the floor, cutting the bottom edge if needed to get the top of the first row level.

But I don't tile much.  Multipanel is SO much easier for walls.

So you start your strip in this case just as any other row, a little but up from the floor?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ok - title slightly mis leading !

SWMBO inspected my ensuite effort so far , I was given the thumbs up ! 

?????

Unfortunately she is now delusional that my tiling skills are not finite !

And so forms her vision .....

The grey stripped mosaic tiles will run in a vertical strip floor to ceiling ( 2 strips in the bathroom somewhere ) . The pale tiles also run vertical but joints staggered ?

So ! My assumption this is more tricky and therefore more prone to f up’s .

For starters tiling ‘conventially’ i.e  horizontally you start half a course up to allow for the bottom tiles to be cut to suit the floor level .

No floor tiles are going down until walls done as that feels like a big job full of fun in itself . Therefore how do I start my strips ?

I should of done a sh*t tiling job in the ensuite then SWMBO would of expected less ?

7787F2D3-0EA2-4CE5-A33E-3FFED31EB27B.jpeg

55193469-D148-4584-A406-A1E165445914.jpeg

You can go either way Plenty do 

Walls first 

You don’t want to damage or stain those nearly laid floor tiles 

• Like 1

Is the principle not that you ignore everything we say and do it your own way that we all tell you that it will be a disaster, and it takes 3 times as long?

As evidenced by the sprayed ceiling?

That way fups are reduced by 67% per unit time because you have only done the other 33% of the project?

Ferdinand

PS No abusive, prejudiced, anti-@pocster assumptions or unwarranted and unjustified floccinaucinihilipilifications have been made in this post.

PPS /lie

PPPS Have a Fogcutter and you will not remember any of it anyway.

PPPPS Before you do, where does one find that sort of delusional optimistic SWMBO? I just got clearance from the medics for a sort-of social life.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always start marking out from the windowsill height.

If you have any sense any boxing in etc is set at the same height as you windowsill and follows round, so a whole tile(s) goes below the windowsill, then a cut to the floor. With staggered vertical joints there would be a half tile.

Spend a bit of time laying it right out now and it will save you a lot of messing about later

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bassanclan said:

If you have any sense any boxing in etc is set at the same height as you windowsill and follows round, so a whole tile(s) goes below the windowsill, then a cut to the floor. With staggered vertical joints there would be a half tile.

Spend a bit of time laying it right out now and it will save you a lot of messing about later

Excellent points. I wish I had hindsight, I might then have started at the window like you say, dropped the pockets in line and the long dwarf wall/shelf to the right.

20190410_111034

Luckily all my tiles are stuck on with Blu Tack so I'll change it over the weekend... ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bassanclan said:

No boxing in just 1 small window . Will use that as a guide for at least what height tiles start at ?

12 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Is the principle not that you ignore everything we say and do it your own way that we all tell you that it will be a disaster, and it takes 3 times as long?

That way fups are reduced by 67% per unit time because you have only done the other 33% of the project?

Ferdinand

PS No abusive, prejudiced, anti-@pocster assumptions or unwarranted and unjustified floccinaucinihilipilifications have been made in this post.

PPS /lie

PPPPS Before you do, where does one find that sort of delusional optimistic SWMBO? I just got clearance from the medics for a sort-of social life.

Well !

I have no opinion whether floors or walls get done first . But I don’t want to do the floor first . Lots of reasons . I haven’t done all the drainage in the bathroom yet . Don’t have a bath so not sure where waste is going . Don’t want to risk dropping tools on tile floor . Worried bathroom floor tiles won’t be flush with hallway tiles ( planned to do them first ) . Bathroom tiles are different to hallway ones - I want the tile change to be under the bathroom door when closed ( so you don’t see the wrong tile from either side ) . Hot water and a sink on site would be nice , floor doesn’t help me there . Don’t want floor down as bound to get filthy .

Regarding my spray painting . The result is fine . But can’t do whole house as it’s not finished ! . Too much gear / materials in the way .

Trying to break it up into smaller manageable jobs . Using up materials and making space !

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

I was happy I tiled the floor first tbh. Meant I got a near perfect 1mm gap between the bottom wall tile and floor. I did though have to tape Correx sheets down on the finished floor and leave a nominal gap all round to do the wall tiling. Left me a bit to clean up around the edge.

14 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Ferdinand

PPS /lie

Apologies my response a little blunt ; @Ferdinand 

The plan now is Baton as usual around the floor . Vertical tiles off of that .

Once floor tiles down , make upstands from floor tiles to go at the base of the walls . Thereby this allows all criteria to be met ! ?

Before you use the window as your starting point you really should take some measurements around the room and see if t will work. Also are you going to fully tile all walls or have some half height?

I always do some half height and then full walls around baths/showers as it can be a bit oppressive as fully tiled (and it saves tiles), but that's personal preference.

3 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Before you use the window as your starting point you really should take some measurements around the room and see if t will work. Also are you going to fully tile all walls or have some half height?

I always do some half height and then full walls around baths/showers as it can be a bit oppressive as fully tiled (and it saves tiles), but that's personal preference.

I like oppressive . Like a deep dark dungeon where no one can escape . Floor to ceiling almost all of it , ceiling slopes towards window so obviously that will be lower . I want the bathroom to install fear and trepidation into its victims . Also with especially those mosaic type tiles much easier to hide a camera .....