Extension- Last Stuff.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

You need to stick the thermometer/RH meter outside, take some readings and see if it really is the air that is causing the problem.

But is your building still trying out in places after years of inadequate heating and ventilation.

Keeping the heating permanently on, while ventilating would speed this process up.

Just saying.

ST I cant keep heating on permenantly. It makes noise overnight preventing sleep as said (& cant afford to, plus I dont want any radiators on at night). And if I did then it would increace the room temps, causing more imbalance to outside, causing more condensation too. The worst room of all in house for this, is this new room: why, well if I see it getting worse the higher the room temp gets, & this imbalance hot onto cold surface I know produces condensation.. then I know by increacing heat, the bigger the imbalance, the more condensation.

I don't need to know if it is the air partly causing the problem. I know it is -plus- the poor upvc frames (if I see the condensation like PeterS says, forming where it is, it is evidence of cold ingress). The two together = pools of sill water, badass black mould.

If this cottage transplanted to your plot in kent/ anywhere else, it'd have the same crap frames/ same coldness, but not this level of condensation so much that pools of water appear on a new build window & door sills. No way hosay. The only factor different- atmosphere.

If I had a team of huge welsh ginger ho's at my call all night, all going hammer & tongs trying to keep up with my huge sexual stamina.. Id expect our combined huff & puff to produce this condensation. But as of yet my dreams have not come true.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

I don't need to know if it is the air partly causing the problem. I know it is -plus- the poor upvc frames

Fair enough, saves me bothering to explain why it can help isolate the problem.

As you already know all the answers, can I have tomorrow's winning Lotto numbers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

As you already know all the answers, can I have tomorrow's winning Lotto numbers.

If you look back in the thread I actually already told you them 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

How can it be isolated to anything other than the atmosphere + poor frames ST? Can you not see the evidence of the poor frames being partly responsible?

I'm not saying 'rainforest' in terms of temperature, obviously, or humidity either. I'm just saying it from how it -feels- to live here, from the evidence of many similar aspects found here (paper the clearest eg.. not a dry feeling crisp LP inner/ a limp soft slightly 'damp' feel, same with post, always). From how my lungs felt for months. The black & green mould galore here. Clothes never feel properly, normally dry. All these are evidence, they are not normal. They do not happen at your house, in your area, at any area Ive been in UK. or even everywhere Ive been in the world too. It is just very peculiar.

The only thing we have come to as partly likely the cause here, is how our forests -surrounding us & elevated- interact with precipitation & release it or who knows what: if condensation is a very complicated subject from the info I think Gav linked to, then it's feasable factors other than just what a number says are at play.

Ive shown you a pic of the black mould: this wouldn't form in a few months at your house. It just wouldn't. It's forming so quickly here due to excessive water. And the the only source of this water, if I'm not making excessive huff & no settings in the house are unusually this or that, can only be the atmosphere: & with all the other aspect eg's simply pointing this way too, & no other possible way at all, it seems conclusive to me. That's all I'm saying.

The water's p*ssing off my window frames at the moment, but then a tonne of water being driven out of curing screed will do that.  I know that it'll get worse before it gets better so I'm keeping the heating on. But that's just me...

• Like 1

Microclimate? Think you're getting mixed up with the Play For Today, Z For Zachariah!

Damp valley, everything goes green? This is the road at the bottom

of my drive, an old seasonal water course:

27825387211_22c6b49f34_b.thumb.jpg.d74648fd32c5098d5c01692abe18532d.jpg.58f8eeb6f35b77fed26ebae30267df91.jpg

27289339273_b984ab7e7a_b.thumb.jpg.369a9954d6204dd37d940a7b5a05ade5.jpg.37b9c8efb80b422c8e2918ae5860c038.jpg

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Microclimate? Think you're getting mixed up with the Play For Today, Z For Zachariah!

Damp valley, everything goes green? This is the road at the bottom

of my drive, an old seasonal water course:

27825387211_22c6b49f34_b.thumb.jpg.d74648fd32c5098d5c01692abe18532d.jpg.58f8eeb6f35b77fed26ebae30267df91.jpg

27289339273_b984ab7e7a_b.thumb.jpg.369a9954d6204dd37d940a7b5a05ade5.jpg.37b9c8efb80b422c8e2918ae5860c038.jpg

Looks like sewage

Ok nevermind. Nothing I can do about it, none of us can around here so I'll just have to put up with it. If I turn up the heating, the problem gets worse so I cant even understand the suggestions on this idea.

Contacting the window/ door mfr about the frames I wonder if a fruitless idea- builder did give me some paperwork.. but I think more to do with the glass guarantee of some form. Again nothing they can do now, so I might as well forget this idea too. But Id like to see what they have to say.

Unless you are here its impossible to convey the atmosphere thing & how it affects stuff. Im obviously just not believed as Im only getting challenges to everything I say, seems to be only to point me out at fault so nevermind.

----

Anyway just 4 damn flowerpots over me downlights! argh.. cant find any small clay jobs in all shops even ebay.. & extention inside, finished.

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok nevermind. Nothing I can do about it, none of us can around here so I'll just have to put up with it. If I turn up the heating, the problem gets worse so I cant even understand the suggestions on this idea.

Contacting the window/ door mfr about the frames I wonder if a fruitless idea- builder did give me some paperwork.. but I think more to do with the glass guarantee of some form. Again nothing they can do now, so I might as well forget this idea too. But Id like to see what they have to say.

Unless you are here its impossible to convey the atmosphere thing & how it affects stuff. Im obviously just not believed as Im only getting challenges to everything I say, seems to be only to point me out at fault so nevermind.

----

Anyway just 4 damn flowerpots over me downlights! argh.. cant find any small clay jobs in all shops even ebay.. & extention inside, finished.

Just thinking out loud here ....

Those window frames . They do have glass in them ??

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok nevermind. Nothing I can do about it, none of us can around here so I'll just have to put up with it. If I turn up the heating, the problem gets worse so I cant even understand the suggestions on this idea

google "dewpoint"

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

If I turn up the heating, the problem gets worse so I cant even understand the suggestions on this idea.

If that is the case then the heating is drawing damp out of the fabric of your house and eventually the house will dry out and a lot of your problems will go away. IIRC you also have a stream near your house which will increase the humidity around your house even more and the interior humidity will largely follow the outside humidity.

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

If that is the case then the heating is drawing damp out of the fabric of your house and eventually the house will dry out and a lot of your problems will go away. IIRC you also have a stream near your house which will increase the humidity around your house even more and the interior humidity will largely follow the outside humidity.

But Im only getting this excessive moisture in the new extention, top room so Im not sure how it can be drawing moisture from the house, if kiln dried CLS (timber frame), PIR , block, plasterboard, chipboard floors & dry joists made up 95% of it. Even the 1 old wall is sealed with sprayed stuff then my emulsion- so I doubt any moisture being pulled out thru here. Thru my new pine door is only other place.. but I hardly think so.

If I also get some sill water in kitchen, & common thing between these 2 rooms is both crap upvc & water pools below big areas of glass.. then the glass & frames are in question like you said surely.

Believe me Peter this is something that will not/ can never go away, it really is just part & parcel of living here. Anywhere else- you could use normal methods to combat it no problem, but it just aint normal here up in these weird hills!

12 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

But Im only getting this excessive moisture in the new extention, top room so Im not sure how it can be drawing moisture from the house, if kiln dried CLS (timber frame), PIR , block, plasterboard, chipboard floors & dry joists made up 95% of it. Even the 1 old wall is sealed with sprayed stuff then my emulsion- so I doubt any moisture being pulled out thru here. Thru my new pine door is only other place.. but I hardly think so.

If I also get some sill water in kitchen, & common thing between these 2 rooms is both crap upvc & water pools below big areas of glass.. then the glass & frames are in question like you said surely.

Believe me Peter this is something that will not/ can never go away, it really is just part & parcel of living here. Anywhere else- you could use normal methods to combat it no problem, but it just aint normal here up in these weird hills!

Your new top room is your bedroom where you sleep yes?

Don't forget how much water vapour you exhale all the time you are in that room, and if in an effort to keep it warm you have no ventilation, that will just build up.

If you don't want to ventilate the room properly then try a dehumidifier.  They are noisy things so you won't want it running while you sleep, but try running one in the daytime when you are using a different room.

Our old 1930's house was always a bit damp feeling and a dehumidifier would always suck a lot of water out from there and we used it from time to time if we thought it was getting a bit damp.

A modern well insulated house with mvhr has none of these problems.

Your issue seems just like a "problem" we had in a rental flat.  the tenant was complaining of "damp" and on inspection there was condensation forming and running down the walls.  Also it was cold, they were too tight or too poor to turn the heating on. All the vents were shut and the bathroom fan turned off (before I learned NEVER fit a fan isolator switch in a rental) and there was wet washing hanging everywhere.

We never had a "damp" issue with any tenant before that one or after.

• Like 2

I'm sure someone will have said already (sorry, don't have time to backtrack through what I've missed), but to keep a building dry, particularly an old building, you need to HEAT and VENTILATE. It won't cure condensation due to cold spots in the fabric, but should make it tolerable.

7 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

I'm sure someone will have said already (sorry, don't have time to backtrack through what I've missed), but to keep a building dry, particularly an old building, you need to HEAT and VENTILATE. 

Yes, several times now. Zoot won't listen though as he lives in his own little world (by his own admission). I'm wondering why the issue was even raised as it is apparently unfixable because the usual laws of science don't apply.

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Yes, several times now. Zoot won't listen though as he lives in his own little world (by his own admission). I'm wondering why the issue was even raised as it is apparently unfixable because the usual laws of science don't apply.

Thats annoying & patronising.

Look just heat and vent it is easier said than done here.. trying my damndest for 7 months to heat this fkn room, finally get 19* max, but after 7 hrs running 1 st that is, & 16* at best on a cold day. 

So just 'heat it dummy' isn't useable advice whatsoever in fact its nonsense for me with such a useless CH system that wont work until 4 pm. And once ive finally finally achieved 19* the advice then to 'ventilate dummy' therefore to let in cold air (without mvhr contraptions i cant afford).. is nonsense too as its the very last thing i want to do if combatting cold is far more a priority than terrible condensation! 

Dehumidifier.. costly to run, to buy, annoyingly noisy, & when i tried one it sucked out such huge ammounts of water, just getting replenished with more moisture laden air (so what on earth was the fkn point anyway) was -the- most hopeless exercise Ive ever seen, ever known. A total joke........ here that is. Likely not for you, but for me here: its a joke.

Whacking in heat & venting is fine advice -if- its a normal CH system.. this isnt its fairly hopeless, & - if- its a normal climate.. this isnt its permenantly cloyingly wet air. Im not taking whatsoever about damp within the fabric of the house either, only in the air.

4 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Thats annoying & patronising.

The truth hurts often hurts. None of your problems are insurmountable. Some of the solutions will cost or necessitate some short term discomfort on your part like running overnight and putting up with the noise, buying or hiring a dehumidifier and so on. Solutions cost invariably, whether you go the DIY route and just pay for materials (assuming you have the time) or whether you pay A N Other to fix it, saving your time but upping the cost.  

If you're unable or unwilling to try these things then eventually people will tire of it and desert the thread. Don't worry though, they'll not be able to resist coming back, (often sooner than they want). 

It's a pity the burning of bridges is metaphorical, that'd pump some good quality heat into the place and drive that nasty damp away! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

before I learned NEVER fit a fan isolator switch in a renta

Is it not a regulation to have an accessible 3 pole isolator? If so how do you keep tenants from it?