Extension- Last Stuff.

23 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

No it was MJN's (dry) brown y-fronts with the yellow piping. Not mine. Mine are damp, faded white sizeable 'hangers' not y-fronts, spruced up with PeterW's stain gubbins.

And that is supposed to make my mental image any less bad?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And that is supposed to make my mental image any less bad?

Well it was trying to help, yes. 

One thing thats really helped the room's feel: frame plant-on strips fitted finally so Ive got a really good barrier to cold coming from in old bedroom.. hey its even been cosy in here now & then since. 18* in here now, held it since 19* an hr ago when heating went off. Great right now, for 1st time.

But it is alot milder: heating definitely works far worse when its cold.. and its designed so it should balance out. That doesnt work then.

Also - still - got the bloody leak happening. This only occurs during DHW periods, 2 x 1hr periods during day. About 3/4 litre at a guess expelled each hr period, down front of house, hot water rotting my log store away. Now, I haven't had to do a low pressure manual tap release for a while now: so is this expulsion normal? Anything to worry about? Or just shouldn't be.. & embark on yet another 3 month battle to get it fixed? im now looking at this damn outlet pipe, my gutter 4 ft nearby, wondering if it could just drain into that.. just needs extending, & a dog leg to reach it. Hot water into a placcy gutter?

16 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@MJNewton Last thing 11.30 pm, temp 17.5* .. 68% rh.

Now that's not *too* bad (you certainly aren't living in a rainforest despite what your pants might be telling you) with a dew point of 11.5°C, but then I imagine you don't yet have condensation forming - that'll occur overnight as both the internal and external temperatures drop. A dehumidifier would definitely help (reducing the RH to 50% @17.5°C would give a dew point of 7°C so very low) as would ventilation (if we assume the outside temp is now 4°C and 99% RH, bringing that air in and heating it to 17.5°C would give a RH of only 43%).

Edited by MJNewton

5 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Now that's not *too* bad (you certainly aren't living in a rainforest despite what your pants might be telling you) with a dew point of 11.5°C, but then I imagine you don't yet have condensation forming - that'll occur overnight as both the internal and external temperatures drop. A dehumidifier would definitely help (reducing the RH to 50% @17.5°C would give a dew point of 7°C so very low) as would ventilation (if we assume the outside temp is now 4°C and 99% RH, bringing that air in and heating it to 17.5°C would give a RH of only 43%).

MJN. I -am- living in a rainforest it is not in question numbers or not. It is the cause of v.fast black mould in our houses & faster excessive green mould, the damp feel to all paper/ card, all clothes, your skin, ages my lungs needed to adapt, my record sleeves physically changing on the day i arrived. As I said, numbers or not, all these describe a highly cloyingly dense atmosphere. They are not 'subjective' opinions, just facts. You have no idea what its like here or been in anywhere like it Inswear. Nor had I anywhere in the world, EU, nth america, africa, south east asia, carribean, NZ too all Ive been to, lived in. None had such cloying damp it hurt your lungs, but the closest was no doubt a rainforest in malaysia, next a very dense carribean stormy time.

Best way to describe it.. like living in a cloud, and very often we -are- doing exactly that, right up in the hills here but also in a bowl trapping clouds among & around us, in the fir forests above us. Looks dramatic like twin peaks.. but a pain in the fkn butt to live in & breath in! Im often amazed I havent sprouted gills.

Where is this moisture coming from? It has to be introduced to the house some how? Do you have water leaks (indoors)? are you constantly hanging out washing and never opening a window? Do you have hot showers / baths without venting the steam? Etc

Edited by Gav_P

12 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Where is the this moisture coming from? It has to be introduced to the house some how? Do you have water leaks (indoors)? are you constantly hanging out washing and never opening a window? Do you have hot showers / baths without venting the steam? Etc

Its coming from the air Gav as Ive said. No I never put washing indoors, never have showers in winter now/ bathroom too cold, with baths there's little steam as HW is 48* & it goes cold so quick. And there's only me here too, so the huff created is minimal.

The permenant layers of green & black mould I have but you dont, are bc the air here is very different. Its just normal, for here. There is no debate about it, we all know this here.

Room temp this morning best ever had, so door's helping + upping heat curve a bit helps.. but mainly working bc its mild out (8*C). When its cold, when you need heat it works cr*p/ hopelessly differently.

17.1*... 71% rh. If only it could always do this!!

I do believe micro climate makes a really big impact on dwellings, remember Jeremy needing more cooling than heating because of his protected sun trap location.?. Wales can be very wet (like down here in Devon) but we have no shading so any sun light is warming/drying. Not sure what’s around zoot but I would never buy a house in a shaded valley, especially a stone cottage in a damp location. Just saying!

You need to stick the thermometer/RH meter outside, take some readings and see if it really is the air that is causing the problem.

But is your building still trying out in places after years of inadequate heating and ventilation.

Keeping the heating permanently on, while ventilating would speed this process up.

Just saying.

@zoothorn I realise you said it’s in the air, but do you mean your rain forest is the climate in the area where you live (as suggested could be possible by @joe90s reference to a microclimate), or is it just inside your house (like legacy damp in an old cottage still drying out or moisture being introduced)? Hence @SteamyTeas request for the outdoor readings too. 

Just saying..

?

Just now, Gav_P said:

@zoothorn I realise you said it’s in the air, but do you mean your rain forest is the climate in the area where you live (as suggested could be possible by @joe90s reference to a microclimate), or is it just inside your house (like legacy damp in an old cottage still drying out or moisture being introduced)? Hence @SteamyTeas request for the outdoor readings too. 

Just saying..

?

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

Are you sure this "leak" isn't just the condensate pipe from the ASHP doing it's thing and working normally? This needs to be taken to a soakaway or drain.

Gav- sorry I missed the reply if joe90 mentioned a microclimate (usual thing of notification of reply awol, or run out of time). Also missed Steamy Tea reply for outdoor readings.

If joe was referring with this microclimate as to the immediate area (IE in & around our few villages up here in hills) yes, exactly. The 'rainforest atmos' is simply the area, possibly worst in our small bowl top of village with forests rising high each side/ but village as a whole in the small valley here/ we all moan about mould, damp feeling post.. the heavy air etc.

I dont mean I have a 'rainforest house', or even more locally.. a rainforest in my undercrackers.

@Onoff this is a good point. I've no idea if this leak is to be expected (so its not a 'leak' then at all), or if it is not normal: was it fixed adequately or not, or if nothing needed fixing at all, or if its still continuing.. & a leak is a leak.. then it is not to be expected & still needs fixing. This is why I'm describing it, what has been done, what Vaillant have said (as best I can recall), to folks to give opinion as to what on earth it actually is.

I was told on install -only- to expect it for a week or so after install, then settles down you see.

So, I have to get onto Vaillant again. Its like a merry-go-round & Im sick of it. They are the only ones with clout enough to prompt the damn installers to actually make a visit. In another 3 months. But if installers have alterior playing sillybuggers motive due to me pestering them to fix it for 6 months (who knows I must think possibly the case now) how will I ever get this fixed?

All I know i dont like 1.5 litres of hot water streaming down my house front every day, rotting my logstore, & pooling causing a damp patch at foot of my house.

55 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I do believe micro climate makes a really big impact on dwellings, remember Jeremy needing more cooling than heating because of his protected sun trap location.?. Wales can be very wet (like down here in Devon) but we have no shading so any sun light is warming/drying. Not sure what’s around zoot but I would never buy a house in a shaded valley, especially a stone cottage in a damp location. Just saying!

You would if it wasn't shady: I get great light into house overall as luckily the sun follows the shape of my hill rarely going below it all year.. & you would if it was £125k despite the creep n'bors + cold + damp atmos!! I think the bargain it was has fuelled -some- of the locals resentment/ creep behaviour tbh.

Its easy to imagine if described its in a bowl, high valley each side, damp atmos, old cottage that it's a dark & gloomy: i thought exactly this on listing description, even after 2 rain-sodden visits too, it's huge beech tree was enveloping house (big trimmed away now, sth side).. but actually it's the opposite. Only the main old room with tiny windows gets dark, but only when sun's on the 'end of house' south side (where extention is) so only part of the day. Rest of house is really good in fact. Very lucky indeed.

But this new end room is a total sun trap, south facing, elevated up, big glass etc.

5 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

if the climate is as damp as you say, 1.5l of water won't make a lot of difference to your woodstore. 

No I think you're right, currently tho definitely. But as its hot water its rotting it fast, & all thru spring summer? I just dont want it happening.. but I can only feasably get it stopped -if- it can be determined it shouldn't be doing it, & a fault, therefore to be fixed.

How can I determine this is the Q.

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

No I think you're right, currently tho definitely. But as its hot water its rotting it fast, & all thru spring summer? I just dont want it happening.. but I can only feasably get it stopped -if- it can be determined it shouldn't be doing it, & a fault, therefore to be fixed.

How can I determine this is the Q.

Can you identify where the water is coming from? Work back from where it’s discharging and photograph the first piece of equipment the pipe connects to. 

29 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

?

Damn - no delete. I was trying to make a joke there but reading it back I'm not sure what my joke actually was, and it's certainly not making me laugh. :D

Move along, nothing to see here.... Back to Zoot's pants please.

• Haha 3