Extension- Last Stuff.

@Onoff understand that.. and i do see areas of cold bridging at my french doors, oddly only on one side, black mould alot. Also just feel the window is a cold area, reveal, sill etc, so ld never be able to make a fully perfect sealed room. I think its as best i can do tbh.

My toasty workshop tho.. pine outside door, 1" pir on its back, gap under of 8mm to outside, not great seal around. Even opening door alot, warmth wins.. its just never cold. Its as odd this room being this warm, as the room above struggling for warmth: its a bit better but still not nearly as warm.

Door on today tho might help a bit more.. temp one one doing well tho: i did ask a q on hinges, back yesterday. @onoff etc.

thx

35 minutes ago, joe90 said:

79F043EB-53D2-4AB1-ACA1-A9CC038959B0.jpeg

Seriously- it would be useful if someoe could put numbers on the teets, i can refer to my heat/ hw pipes clearly, being in perfect positions like my two pairs of pipes under my box thingy.

18 hours ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff back to doors. (also onto with Vaillant yet again series of emails, battling again to get these two issues fixed. And it seems I ve got to battle a load of replies getting rather nasty again name slinging etc. need a break).

As said my hinge frame bows in the middle a bit, 3mm. So Ive set this mid hinge the usual chisel-job set in the frame to get all in a line on the frame. Also whittled a bit off the door here. So the other hinges above & below sit on the frame, without chiselled in, to get this parity.

Is getting this hinge line parity preferable, over setting the other two hinges chiselled-into the frame too? does it make a jot of difference having the mid hinge a bit nearer the door-? could *in theory this bow-in be 10mm, & the disparity between the line of hinges be fairly big?

simple I'm sure but I cant picture the results on opening the door in this * eg.  thanks. zH

I've no real answer. Get it right in the first place or compromise as you have with planted-on, rather than hinges let into the jam. You're compounding a f*** up rather than sorting the source of the issue.

Why can't you put a straight edge against the door jam and determine where the bow is. I assume it bows out in the middle towards the room. Why? Can you not remove any packing behind the jam and get rid of the bow. Is there a "hollow" behind the jam?

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've no real answer. Get it right in the first place or compromise as you have with planted-on, rather than hinges let into the jam. You're compounding a f*** up rather than sorting the source of the issue.

Why can't you put a straight edge against the door jam and determine where the bow is. I assume it bows out in the middle towards the room. Why? Can you not remove any packing behind the jam and get rid of the bow. Is there a "hollow" behind the jam?

I know where the bow is, as said in middle of frame hinge side, concave. But I cant undo it.. the frame's been fixed in for months, with architrave on. No Ive chisseled in my mid hinge, where the bow is, so now with the other two hinges not chissled in/ resting on the frame.. I can get them all in a line. But is this wrong, or, should I chisel in my top & btm hinges too.. which will mean they're not in a line then, mid hinge 3mm into the door vs the other two: its this: is this ok to open a door with these hinges offset/ not spot-on all-3-in-a-line? maybe it makes no difference to the opening of the door at all. I just cant picture it.

The mid line of all three hinges should be in alignment otherwise the door will not swing properly . This is a problem high having three hinges, alignment is more important. I tend to hang it on top and bottom hinges first then fit the middle  hinge last.

21 minutes ago, joe90 said:

The mid line of all three hinges should be in alignment otherwise the door will not swing properly . This is a problem high having three hinges, alignment is more important. I tend to hang it on top and bottom hinges first then fit the middle  hinge last.

But alignment with the door, in my case, or the frame, having this bow in its midrift?

I think you mean its a must on the door.. irrespective of what the frame contours might be, in which case i need to sit my hinges on the frame, above and below my 3 mm recessed mid hinge, as i 1 st thought.. rather than recess them all in meaning the disparity remains.

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

But alignment with the door, in my case, or the frame,

The hinges must be in alignment, whether that is in line with the door or frame is irrelevant. In your case I would align them on the door as the edge is likely a straight edge (I hope), and recess in the frame as appropriate.(as you say this is bowed).

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

The hinges must be in alignment, whether that is in line with the door or frame is irrelevant. In your case I would align them on the door as the edge is likely a straight edge (I hope), and recess in the frame as appropriate.(as you say this is bowed).

Damn now m confused again. Thought i had it then. Both you and onoff say to shift or shape the frame to fit the door? But frames bin in for ages, painted, architrave on. I dont see how i could shift it even if it wasnt painted. But maybe im not getting what you mean by recess in the frame.

thx zh

Right, (in my opinion)  fit the hinges to the door, so the hinge pins are in line, as the door edge should be straight!. Offer up the door with hinges fitted and recess the frame fir the hinges as appropriate. Does your frame bow in or out in the middle?

34 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Right, (in my opinion)  fit the hinges to the door, so the hinge pins are in line, as the door edge should be straight!. Offer up the door with hinges fitted and recess the frame fir the hinges as appropriate. Does your frame bow in or out in the middle?

Perhaps the door is warping due to the extreme cold ??

• Haha 2

As you're in essence using your hinge "the wrong way", double check it opens to 90deg. Mine doesn't but then it is bent to buggery:

IMG_20210123_135955147.thumb.jpg.abf0f555c9a67efd888954c2ea01c7e7.jpg

Project the centrelines round from your ledges. Make sure they're perpendicular to the door edge where the hinge is going.

The hinge wants to sit like this about the centerline, (ignore the camera angle, the centreline is at 90deg):

IMG_20210123_142349206.thumb.jpg.474f2752def564f619240f772a416956.jpg

Not like this, the hinge is too low to the centreline:

IMG_20210123_142358165.thumb.jpg.55f068fcbdaa0b5e3e8f8223fd9bfc28.jpg

Decide if you want a nominal gap between door and jam. If so slip in a strip club of something. If you do this to one do this to them all. 

IMG_20210123_141449709.thumb.jpg.d4b35294ebd8fe6d3dc174fbd5521a33.jpg

IMG_20210123_141445097.thumb.jpg.7507ddca5b0511f284a392489b909777.jpg

Mark your hinge holes with the "pack" still in place:

IMG_20210123_143054462.thumb.jpg.f88f27a839f9aaec2f2fa19599392e08.jpg

Fit your hinge. 

IMG_20210123_141211756.jpg

IMG_20210123_140757450.jpg

4 hours ago, ash_scotland88 said:

Out of a total change of subject and being totally nosey what do you do in your workshop?

He builds & restores stuff like this. 

Cust_Sessionette-Joel3B.jpg.3e149670e04b81fc81f4320cce6d6dad.jpgCust_Sessionette-Joel1B.jpg.2f2d073fe8d44ab74c9d15649159b681.jpg

Thus despite being a pita he has some serious skills! ?

• Like 1