Extension- Last Stuff.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No, he is alive and well, moved onto pastures new. (Mores the pity).

I was only wondering t'other day I wonder where JSH is.. concerned he might well have shuffled off tbh (without leaving me his ac30), glad he's with us!

He'd know what my flow temp was.

43 minutes ago, zoothorn said:
49 minutes ago, ProDave said:

At the moment they are NOT getting hot, they are getting luke warm and not able to put enough heat into the house.

I am trying to establish if the reason for them being luke warm is because the ASHP is set up wrong, or if there are more radiators than it can cope with.

Do it by measurement, for ages you have been telling us they are "hot" which is why people have been questioning the insulation etc, but when you got the thermometers and told us they were barely 35 degrees, that is NOT "hot" so because of that wrong information we may have been barking up the wrong tree.

Ok ok. Understand that. In fact thats the first reply ive understood in ages. Apart from being called a c@@@. I understood that.

So if you have understood maybe you could actually have a go at what he is suggesting! 
turn all rads down except for a cold room and see what temperature the room and radiator get .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jfb said:

So if you have understood maybe you could actually have a go at what he is suggesting! 
turn all rads down except for a cold room and see what temperature the room and radiator get .

Yup yup ok. Look I'm struggling with the flow temp reading 1st.. & it's so damn cold out, no log fire till tmrw, I'd prefer to do this turnings off then.

@PeterW I'm struggling cos 15mins ago I ramp the desired temp up to 22.5* from 18* the room temp was (all day desired 18.5*).. but the rads are not hot/ still in a slumber mode. Yet another thing I cannot understand (& seems to do exactly the same "idle" state from 6.30am >>> right to 8am, until 'ping' summink trips & the rads flare up hot in 5 mins flat). Surely, it should be going hammer & tongs now. Flamin thing.

@PeterW rads have been hot (again) now for 5 mins, the heat compressor active for 15mins.. so I read on the RHS pair of pipes 36.1* and 30*. Assuming these will increace -if- yesterday I got 44* figures.

But when to get an accurate reading you see, either on rads or at the box pipe underside 'udders' I don't exactly know.

43 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Try the other pair of pipes. If you have 4, clip them on to both sets, or put two on the boiler and two on a rad. 

But that's the hot water pipes-? At the mo Ive got them on the Rhs heating pipes @ 34.8...  35, seems to be what its running at  max tonight (20.5* desired temp, it only got thermostat room to 18.5*, my new top bedroom right now 17*). Fwiw the looong rad1 in main big old room below L 32.5... R 35. The rad2 still 27.. 28 or so.

I'll try this again tmrw morning, LHS pair of udders, set it to 25*. Its similar outside temp next few days so useful for comparison.

thanks for help today chaps.

18 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

my new top bedroom right now 17*

OK so that’s improving. Did you finish the insulation in the attic ..?? It takes a while to heat the fabric of a building through so it may be getting better. 

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

OK so that’s improving. Did you finish the insulation in the attic ..?? It takes a while to heat the fabric of a building through so it may be getting better. 

No waiting to buy flowerpots! Daftly small clay pots holding up putting in 3 x more rolls. Shops closed etc. Should get new room door on today tho! see if this helps contain better heat. I can get it to 18* max by 4 pm in new top bedroom.. just warm enough, comfortable even. most of day its around 16.5*.

What Ive thought but not asked, is if its been on during day, desired 18.5 & its got thermostat room up to temp (about 11am earliest) then all ok like so for a few hrs.. if I then put in desired 22*, next day same time I put in 30*: would it put in a different flow temp to try getting these different figs, or no, same flow temp.. but increaces the duration on for: less time for 22* alot longer for 30*?

You see Im confused by the Rhs udder pipe temps ( just touched LHS pair/ dhw/ cold tho) i got 44* or so y'day, mostly tho i got 35* or so reading these 4 x y'day.. today now ( expect it chugging along well trying 1st thing, get my new top room up from 13*.. so its 15* at the mo) it's only 32* at RHS udders. My desired  = 22* at the mo.

So i just whacked in 30* ( max) for desired, see if flow temp goes up. Now I read udders 5 mins later.. 26*: now whether it goes off - then into a new gear, max gear perhaps- then ramps up again, so this dip is usual.. i dont know, but it confuses my udder readings.THX ZH

26 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Come on @zoothorn, we're all desperate for the next post. @pocster' s sober, @Declan52 has finished his breakfast of gravel and eggs, @wozza has finished gawping at nubiles , @joe90 has undone his zipper,  and @Onoff is doing a war dance. 

How cold is it... really really cold,  or just cool?

Haha. Morning. More confusion 10 mins after i fkn get out of bed, no not my balls aren't awol/ im used to that.. temp figs. And I dont like the idea of joe undoing his zipper 1st thing (you forgot pocaster's successfully urinated under his bridge).

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Wtf does "udder" refer to?

Udders are 'girl cows privates' Onoff, wobbly mammary sack under tail with 2 sets of pipes: LHS (DHW) and RHS ( heating).

Thanks to joe for useful reference photo.

Edited by zoothorn

45 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Come on @zoothorn, we're all desperate for the next post. @pocster' s sober, @Declan52 has finished his breakfast of gravel and eggs, @wozza has finished gawping at nubiles , @joe90 has undone his zipper,  and @Onoff is doing a war dance. 

How cold is it... really really cold,  or just cool?

With bacon

When I punctured my new bathroom ceiling that had a continuous, airtight vcl and 100mm of pir above, my heat losses went through the roof - pun intended. This aside from the draught issues created.

IMG_20210123_095001860.thumb.jpg.2e8dd2c5434da8a417b9c309b65fd6e7.jpg

The one that really brought home to me what this air tightness is all about was the old soil pipe hole through the wall. 

SAM_2629

I cut a round of lightweight block and foamed it in. Even like that below I could still feel a draught coming in from the wall cavity! You think expanding foam is this magic, fix all, wonderful stuff but it needs to be done properly. You then still have the porosity of the surrounding brick / blockwork. I remember being amazed at the force of the draught on this North facing wall coming through the tiny holes. 

SAM_2637

In the end I I had to dig the foam out a little and fill the recess with Fischer chemical resin.

What I'm getting at is the hard learnt lesson of "fabric first". Insulate and draught proof to keep that precious heat from escaping and nasty cold from coming in!