Extension- Last Stuff.

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I love when I phone the UK arm of a company with a "global presence", "Yes, we have X of them in stock!"

Then that's on a 5-7 day delivery from Cincinnati. 

No f***ing good if I want tomorrow is it!

Yes, I have had *exactly* that with Blauberg. Their website was saying things like (literally, actually): Low stock: 8,957 remaining Turns out it was exactly like you describe and they had loads (somewhere) but none in the UK.

Edited by MJNewton

Just now, ToughButterCup said:

Hmmm, I'm thinking of offering Mr Z a loan of my Bosch fermal camera wot I bought wiv my Christmus money. 

Be handy for spotting the Meibion Glyndŵr neighbours with burning torches...

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

Think that quote should go in the “ Self Build Bible “ 

It's universally applicable for anything thats hard work:

Cant take a joke don't;

• get married
  • go fellrunning
  • do a PPL
  • buy walk on glazing ....
Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

It's universally applicable for anything thats hard work:

Cant take a joke don't;

• get married
  • go fellrunning
  • do a PPL
  • buy walk on glazing ....

Hmmmmm I’ve done most of those . Not sure what PPL is ? Does it hurt ?

Just now, ToughButterCup said:

It does if you get the landing wrong ... (Private Pilot's License)

Ah !

Haven’t got one of those .

I’d add to your can’t take a joke list 

Be a landlord 

Face bankruptcy 

Highly judgemental of people ( see point 1 )

Highly cynical of people ( see point 1 )  

• Haha 1

I'm out of hours now, but itching to get back when I finish this place.

Being able to take a joke when it hurts your  / bank balance / loyalty / ego / muscles / brain / feelings  is a hard-won set of skills. And applicable across all sectors, professions and trades. And I'm glad (now) of all the aggro I've had in years gone by.  Almost all of the serious stuff, was  far worse than my collapsed wall, or  leaking roof, or run-ins with duplicitous plumbers.  Humour levels.

It also enables you, on occasion and when appropriate,  to growl in peoples ears with suprising levels of authority. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Declan52 said:

If some one posts something that contains a term or a technical aspect that you don't understand you could always Google it first before you respond. Only takes a few seconds and it will definitely help you understand what is in the post which will then help you reply with a clearer idea of what's going on and what needs to happen.

As far balancing rads, it's just the term that has been used for years ,Peter didn't invent it. 

Yes.. but the point was, because 'balance radiators' is an unambiguous term if used correctly (as i think you can appreciate is surely a logical conclusion from these two words)... the point was, i was resolute in thinking nothing other than one rad is in balance with another, the same, the same temp.

So i had understood these two words together perfectly so i was thinking, as is logical to, for a whole page of replies telling me otherwise, hence the enormous & frustrating confusion. There was never any reason for any possible misinterpretation of the term. Its only because it was made by an idiot this confusion happened.

But i was never in the know that i didnt understand the term!!!!

Only once it was explained (not outright, i had to glean this info from jfb's reply) that in effect 'balance radiators'............. is not to be taken literally.................. could i then understand it meant in fact 'balance room temps' ( & not a balance of rads at all !!!).

The stupid fkn term was probably coined back in ancient rome or something, by Archimedes, or Diabetes or some such ancient idiot i shouldn't wonder.

Perhaps "ballance the system" would make more sense?

It reminds me of hearing someone describe their first experience of driving an EV (they had obviously never driven an automatic car before)

"What idiot designed this thing? When you want to go forwards, you push the stick back.  When you want to go backwards, you push the stick forwards"

He obviously never piloted a tiller steered boat either.

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

No it doesn't. Stop being a c***

YES IT DOES. Ffs Onoff! Its basic english two words together. Balance = Parity!!!!! Jesush man. its only bc - you know- it as a plumbers term... that you intrinsically understand it's not to be taken literally!!

Otherwise in normal context its two english words together without chance of being misinterpreted/ of being ambiguous, in any possible way, what so fkn ever!!!

Balance sugar bags. Theres only one notion: they're the fkn same! Nothing possibly ambiguous about it! Swap sugar for anthing else and its still parity...... apart from one thing in the whole fkn universe apparantly: radiators!!!!!

4 hours ago, dpmiller said:

So, what temperature *are* all these radiators at then?

Right. Im back on track. Rant over.

If i go by the flow temp I set my HW to dpm... 55*.

If you're asking to put an Onoff gizmo on a pipe for a more accurate figure.. I don't have one sorry.

Quite an impressive achievement Zoot - you've gone from not understanding the term (perhaps not even hearing of it before either?) to saying the entire heating industry is wrong for using it in, what, a few days? 

Edited by MJNewton
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MJNewton said:

Quite an impressive achievement Zoot - you've gone from not understanding the term (perhaps even hearing of it before either?) to saying the entire heating industry is wrong for using it in, what, a few days? 

Reminds me of the girl behind the bike sheds telling me I didn’t understand 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Right. Im back on track. Rant over.

If i go by the flow temp I set my HW to dpm... 55*.

If you're asking to put an Onoff gizmo on a pipe for a more accurate figure.. I don't have one sorry.

Just order a few off Amazon... I did and they turned up next day (4 of them for £9.99).

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Perhaps "ballance the system" would make more sense?

It reminds me of hearing someone describe their first experience of driving an EV (they had obviously never driven an automatic car before)

"What idiot designed this thing? When you want to go forwards, you push the stick back.  When you want to go backwards, you push the stick forwards"

He obviously never piloted a tiller steered boat either.

YESSSSSSS!!!!! Thank god at least ProDave understands me.

Balance the system, or better (& ffs why isn't it instead??!!) BALANCE THE ROOM TEMPS: you know this means one thing only: similarity between the rooms, similarity between sugar bags, anything....... apart from...... it seems..... fkn radiators already!!

Totally. Unambiguously. Clear.