Extension- Last Stuff.

Ok so it’s bigger than I thought as I was under the impression it was only 2-3ft at most. 

TBH if you are putting in a hatch, then quit with the tape measure and use a hammer ... you want a hollow sounding gap, then through it with a hammer and widen out until you can get a hand through to shove the insulation out of the way (wear gloves, goggles and a mask) and then get your head up there to see what’s about. 

Then take some photos and post here so we can advise .... in the interim until you have the hatch fitted you can always just duct tape a bin bag over the hole. 

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

You are not sleeping anyway

36 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok thanks ST. This is ridiculous. Ive said I have no choice but turn it off if I want to sleep

Sorry but I can’t help it.....   why can’t you just go and sleep In a room ( or a tent) that’s not noisy while you conduct the experiment that people suggest ?  I have various health issues, sleep very poorly and need complete quiet for a good nights sleep but can still manage to sleep in the back of my landrover in a sleeping bag when it’s -5 by the side of a road without whinging..... come on man, stop finding excuses  why you can’t do something and come up with some solutions so you can. People are here to help but you need to rise up to the occasion and show some fortitude and a willingness to work with people.... Don’t bother having a rant about how I am picking on you bla bla bla .... it’s a public forum and I actually want to see this thread come to a happy ending but it’s sooooooo hard being an armchair critic and not saying something ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TonyT said:

This ASHP thread must be a wind up....

What ashp thread, this isn't an ashp thread.

Its an extension thread, & if at the end of building it its fkn cold.. I've got to get it sorted: figuring out & getting this damn issue-ridden ashp fixed, is just part of it.

thanks for the contribution tho- terrific.

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

Sorry but I can’t help it.....   why can’t you just go and sleep In a room ( or a tent) that’s not noisy while you conduct the experiment that people suggest ?  I have various health issues, sleep very poorly and need complete quiet for a good nights sleep but can still manage to sleep in the back of my landrover in a sleeping bag when it’s -5 by the side of a road without whinging..... come on man, stop finding excuses  why you can’t do something and come up with some solutions so you can. People are here to help but you need to rise up to the occasion and show some fortitude and a willingness to work with people.... Don’t bother having a rant about how I am picking on you bla bla bla .... it’s a public forum and I actually want to see this thread come to a happy ending but it’s sooooooo hard being an armchair critic and not saying something ! 

jesush. Im sleeping 3 fkn rooms away as it is.. & it still fkn wakes me up 4am. get it?

Go sleep in the cabin with 1*C outside is your advice then? no fkn way. I make hatch & stuff it with fluff.. You help me make hatch? nope, you just lecture me with a rant.

• Haha 1

Here is only pic I have of my 600mm spaced joists- no noggins, just braced across the top afaict. So at the mo, its just got orange fluff rolls perp/ ontop of these joists.

Is this safe even to put my weight on?

004.JPG

Just now, joe90 said:

+1, yes. 

Ok good. So I gotta put boards up/ across to do the job, & Im 14st tho eek.. I'm prepping now/ will start end of week when warmer makes sense.

If I got 590mm gaps on some, do I cut off 10cm or stuff it in, curl edge up?

As to what material to go for/ thickness.. what suggestions?

thanks zH

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

It will fit, just push it in, regarding thickness I would put in 200mm. 

And then another 200mm on top ... ?

@zoothorn where is your nearest Wickes or B&Q or are you only able to go to Jewsons..??

Ideally, you want 3-400mm which is 3-4 layers of 100mm, but you can get it in rolls of 200mm thick. 

First layer goes in the gaps between the joists, then the rest goes straight over the top up to the edges. It doesn’t need to be neat, and a 3m length of waste pipe is ideal to shove it into the edges where you can’t reach. More the merrier, just don’t block all the edges completely tight to the white membrane. 

I’d you’re clever you don’t need to get up there apart from to put some plant pots over the downlighters as they shouldn’t have insulation directly over them. You can do that by kneeling on each of the rafters as you go.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Let’s take bets that the builder put 100mm of fibreglass across the rafters ..... 

I think I saw exactly this Peter. Now how this can be acceptable to Building Control if he's stipulating really serious thicknesses for walls, floor etc/ all the rest of it for me to put in, but not for the builder to put in the ceiling here.. Ive no idea.

Im a bit concerned with the rafters: in pic you can see they're joined just by those metal mesh to the diagonal truss bit above/ but not resting on anything this end. Opposite side they're resting on the timber frame inner wall, so weight on this end surely ok.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

What thickness is the existing stuff?

Dont know for sure Joe.. but ceiling pB done so hastily it shouted "quickest/ cheapest way" to me. so 'min fluff he could get away with' I bet. Find out later in week when I get up there.

2 minutes ago, markc said:

Those metal mesh things are amazingly strong - much stronger than the timber itself.

I guess they have to be to keep the trusses in one piece, but look flimsy & they do just press into the softwood 1cm afaict.. not meant to keep a 14stone ape from falling thru its own ceiling.

29 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I guess they have to be to keep the trusses in one piece, but look flimsy & they do just press into the softwood 1cm afaict.. not meant to keep a 14stone ape from falling thru its own ceiling.

haha, honestly, they will support your weight and much much more.