Extension- Last Stuff.

Have a very strange one going on in here. Cold. Really really pervasive: I'm waking up 5am spine & legs deeply cold: Ive rarely felt this even in wild camping in NZ in 0*. Its so set in my back Ive been lying on the floor in kitchen with a fan heater on my back.. but cold still there just stuck solid- awful, aching uncomfortable feeling. Last night, all of 7*C so I havent a hope in winter at this rate- & whole point of building this room, was to have ONE well-insulated warm room in the house to hunker down in, & sleep in because the main bedroom was so cold/ no insulation.. but this room definitely feels colder! I'm really struggling to understand this let alone cope with it.

120mm kingspan in all the walls, thicjk rockwool in dividing floor (below carpet), ceiling orange loft fluff, reveals insulated, DG windows & french doors. I haven't got this room warm once yet in evening, the ASHP rads just seem unable to generate enough heat (even with the huuuuge long rad) so I have to wear thermals, scarf & hat all times: day is one thing, & I'm so used to it in the house (you physiologically just get used to cold).. but not at night: I've never felt my back cold like this sleeping in any bed before.

How can this possibly be colder than the adjacent room-?!

Re-read the thread and complete any outstanding actions (getting the installers back, getting the figures used to specify the system etc) and if you still have issues we can go from there. In the meantime get some electric heaters. 

Edited by MJNewton

Do you actually have a thermometer in the rooms, put one in every room and take a few readings. 

Im in my new place in a t shirt with no heating whatsoever and the front door open, and it sits at 15-16 constantly. 

My father in law sits in my old place with the heating on at 23-24 and moans he is cold. 

Get some figures going. 

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Heating on ..??

What is the room temperature ..??

Not overnight Peter no. I don't know what the room temp is: but even in depth of winters past here, in t'other hopelessly uninsulated room.. I could at least keep warm via huge duvet etc: I never had this terrible core back cold (I still feel an ache now 6+ hrs later, my back is still cold).

The ASHP is so innefective I cannot get any room warm, but, putting this aside I can compare this newly thick insulated room with heating off overnight, to the adjacent poorly insulated room with never any heating in... & this room is colder.

3 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Re-read the thread and complete any outstanding actions (getting the installers back, getting the figures used to specify the system etc) and if you still have issues we can go from there. In the meantime get some electric heaters. 

The only thing 'outstanding' is the door yet to put on, but, Ive slept in adjacent bedroom many times so cold I see my breath.. & never had this awful core back cold. Same mattress too, taken from one room to new one next door. Next door room doesn't have -any- insulation in (bar usual loft fluff in ceiling). Last night it wasn't cold @7*. Above me, the thick duvet does as you'd expect/ I'm warm. So my body's warm.. but what I'm laying on is cold > so my back & legs are cold. Never known anything like it.

It feels like the btm 3ft of room is just filling with cold, going under bed, & cooling the board my mattress is on. Maybe as the room's set this wretched 1ft down it shouldn't be, maybe this is acting like a 'basin' for cold to sit in.

Its nothing relating to the ASHP. Discounting this (bc if its on, then it should at the least -add- some iota of warmth to this room.. not do the opposite) entirely, I can just compare this lets call it unheated insulated room, to unheated uninsulated room adjacent: & insulated one feels alot colder. Yes I could solve it by putting in 4x 15kw log burners.. but this isn't the point. Its why its like it is. It shouldn't be, it should be the very opposite.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Sorry I dont quite understand the suggestion. If you're insinuating I might be 'thinking' its cold when its not in fact.. this just cannot be. If my back 6 hours later is aching with cold.. I was cold. The room was cold. The underside of the bed specifically was cold.. so my back & legs were (& are still). Not just a bit, deeply right in your spine & I still feel it now. I doubt if you've ever felt this kind of cold- Ive only felt it in this house, only in this room (I feel it during day too just in legs, lying on the bed, even with my useless heating on).

1 minute ago, Big Jimbo said:

No, it was genuine Zoot. You should be able to get your body warm, even if its light exercise, or star jumps.

Totally correct, the only way to get my back warm is exercise.. but I have to work. and this is nuts to have to do after a mildish night @ 7*C in a well insulated room. I dont know wtf is going on.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I said this a long time ago!,!,! I bought these hot prove to SWMBO that it was not cold .

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I doubt if you've ever felt this kind of cold

I am sure @joe90 has the best intentions and is actually trying to help..... and as an ex outdoors man I expect he knows what cold is.....  i KNOW what cold is and I also know that it’s easily fixed with warm clothes and a short sharp burst of exercise and some food to recharge the body’s battery. If this does not work then your sick and need to do the appropriate to get better. Taking measurements of the temperature in various rooms and telling us what heating you are actually putting on and fir how long will help people give good advise...... if you have a wide open door into a cold house with no heating on overnight in your room or the main house and  it’s a baltic outside then it’s obvious why it’s cold. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

I doubt if you've ever felt this kind of cold-

Zoot, I have slept In snow holes up mountains, ski ed many winters and hiked many miles during winter in the alps. I was once told there is no such thing as being cold, just wearing the wrong clothes!!!!!. Unless we know what temperature you are experiencing how can anyone help you?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Zoot, I have slept In snow holes up mountains, ski ed many winters and hiked many miles during winter in the alps. I was once told there is no such thing as being cold, just wearing the wrong clothes!!!!!. Unless we know what temperature you are experiencing how can anyone help you?

Zoot. Joe 90 is ex SAS. He used to run around in Siberia, cutting peoples throats in the dead of night. He used to sleep outside in the snow and wind for days on end, (pooing into a plastic bag) while he observed his prey.  If you really want us to try and help, then you need to monitor some temps over a couple of days, and give us those temps together with what heating sources you are using.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Zoot. Joe 90 is ex SAS. He used to run around in Siberia, cutting peoples throats in the dead of night. He used to sleep outside in the snow and wind for days on end, (pooing into a plastic bag) while he observed his prey.  If you really want us to try and help, then you need to monitor some temps over a couple of days, and give us those temps together with what heating sources you are using.

No wonder he wants to visit me - we can fight !

7 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Apols Jo90 if i have blown your cover from when you were an instrument of the Government?

ha, don’t worry, my cover story is sound!,,, forgot to add sky diving in the middle of winter (must have been mad), you try doing 120miles per hour during free fall in freezing air ?

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1