Extension- Last Stuff.

Anyone id this stuff? Squishing it between fingers.. its just as i thought, stupidly light foam. squishes instantly from 14 mm or so right down to 3 mm with any weight on.. no support for feet whatsoever. Other Decent stuff in next room 12mm or so.. multi coloured, alot firmer, you cant squish it much more than half, rubbery not light foam like this.

You can see by the staples how light it is.

A7D207E3-4FEB-4E1F-823E-A26857A35804.jpeg

98001C70-7FAD-46C9-9F32-AF0B9F43D76F.jpeg

A6B4CCDD-E1D8-4697-9344-52CE18E24D19.jpeg

Looks like plain ordinary underlay as laid in millions and millions of houses without problem.

Why do you always assume the "fitter has taken you for a ride"?

I bet this is the same underlay he has laid in thousands of houses with thousands of happy customers, yet he was supposed to anticipate your peculiar needs and specify something different?

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Looks like plain ordinary underlay as laid in millions and millions of houses without problem.

Why do you always assume the "fitter has taken you for a ride"?

I bet this is the same underlay he has laid in thousands of houses with thousands of happy customers, yet he was supposed to anticipate your peculiar needs and specify something different?

So you're saying my aching feet are no problem? 

If the fotter says 'i got you some really good underlay' and by your accounts hes just put commonest stuff down.. that doesn't tally to me.

if its causing actual pain in my heels.. its a problem whether its expensive stuff or cheap stuff, & its certainly not me thats the problem as is being suggested. So if this produces the 'body' underneath the carpet, the majority of which takes weight, its this which is the cause of the problem. it may be a combination of thin carpet plus this stuff being a poor match for it tho.. In which case the fitters choice of underlay isnt right, if me the customer chooses this particular carpet.

30 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Cloud 9 Cumulus. One of the most widely fitted and well regarded underlays in the industry.

Ok thanks it does seem to be this, maybe.. so why, if its industry std and well regarded, heck even deemed luxury perhaps.. is it causing me pain then? Rhetorical q.

Do i take it up with mfr not fitter? Does fitter make choice dependent on anything? Its just advice i was after. I didnt really need or warrant a heap of angry replies tbh.

50 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok thanks it does seem to be this, maybe.. so why, if its industry std and well regarded, heck even deemed luxury perhaps.. is it causing me pain then? Rhetorical q.

Do i take it up with mfr not fitter? Does fitter make choice dependent on anything? Its just advice i was after. I didnt really need or warrant a heap of angry replies tbh.

I'd take it up with your GP. Seriously. The carpet fitter isn't responsible for conditions with your feet and isn't really in a position to do anything about it, aside from fitting underlay of your choosing if you consider it being a trigger. I would expect you to have to pay for that now however as there's nothing wrong with what he's fitted.

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve got the same underlay (arriba arriba - that’s for you @Onoff) fitted a couple of years ago, and I must say that I haven’t ever experienced the condition you are suffering. 

It sounds like the other underlay you have in the other room is the cheaper foam type... not that I would expect either to cause discomfort. 

Do you suffer the same on any hard floors? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

I'd take it up with your GP. Seriously. The carpet fitter isn't responsible for conditions with your feet and isn't really in a position to do anything about it, aside from fitting underlay of your choosing if you consider it being a trigger. I would expect you to have to pay for that now however as there's nothing wrong with what he's fitted.

MJN no come on. I'm getting it replaced that's a given, I'm not considering body-modification to suit it(!!).

My fitter is calling me soon, so that's 1st step/ so I can ask him about things- a quote I think's the bottom line. urgh.

Much appreciate the ideas tho chaps, even if I'm not quite on board with them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfb said:

how much was the carpet per metre squared?

Its £18 I think. Should've gone better, & its horribly beige too (looked browner in the shop).. no-one to blame but me for this. Actually I can't blame fitter now I know he's put in what he said, or even the Mfr, it just seems a bad (& costly) match my feet + this product. and I aint changing me feet.

1 hour ago, Gav_P said:

I’ve got the same underlay (arriba arriba - that’s for you @Onoff) fitted a couple of years ago, and I must say that I haven’t ever experienced the condition you are suffering. 

It sounds like the other underlay you have in the other room is the cheaper foam type... not that I would expect either to cause discomfort. 

Do you suffer the same on any hard floors? 

It must be just me then, a bad match.

No I dont suffer at all, I can happily do socks on hard floor or stairs/ no issues at all. Its not the quality of the underlay, or expense.. its just the suitability & importantly (if maybe a bit heavier- Im 14st) support aspect, density I'm certain this boils down to.

The cumulus is surely worded so, bc its light n fluffy, that doesn't exactly say 'supportitve' to me.

Thanks- zH

5 minutes ago, jfb said:

it looked cheap from the photo.

maybe that is where your issue is?  just a thought

Oh terrific.. thanks alot. You're a charmer eh?

No, its established the issue isn't my feet, or the carpet.. but the underlay, no debate if stepping into adjacent room the ache goes away feet immediately feel supported, & both carpets similar price and thickness roughly speaking.

I just need this underlay, in here. Simple as.. but at what cost, & is it even possible now without redoing whole shebang.

23 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Can you lift a corner in the other room and get the brand of that underlay.

Rich step, 9mm. Just talked to my fitter who told me- never known anyone to have feet ache problems, but very accomodating & a good possible result: he said it is feasable to replace the underlay! thank goodness. and with the rich tea stuff as well.. so just waiting on a quote, but has to be done £whatever so fingers x'd. Dammit I should have asked for same as before, instead of just presuming he'd be using it.. didn't occur to me.

thanks- zoot

4 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

I’ve previously doubled up on underlay, using two layers for an extra springy feel underfoot. Your fitter might be able to do this for you.

Hi- that's an idea.. actually did cross my mind too, 2x 9mm. Its very odd this tho: I could swear today my feet aren't aching 1/2 as much.. it can't all be in the mind though, pain was real/ poked both heels & 'ow' etc.

My fitter will replace for just cost of underlay though, £60 ish, big relief & kudos to him. I think £120 with your idea, a bit of a stretch maybe.

thanks- zH

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dangti6 said:

Give it a couple of weeks and see if the situation improves before you pay out to have it changed. 

Sensible suggestion dangit6.. Never know I might sort of get used to it, like annoying shoes. Cheers

Pics of finished room anyway ( bar door to make, but can wait)

0542CBD8-9A85-418F-A29C-CF5F26F1615A.jpeg

FB513C6A-3A7F-4DD6-82E2-B3CF6E2CB1A4.jpeg

AB8CC63E-16F9-4996-AFEF-88D837D43AF3.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Sensible suggestion dangit6.. Never know I might sort of get used to it, like annoying shoes. Cheers

So that mountain might well become a mole hill afterall? ;)

Room looking great though. Always a great feeling to finally get to the end, no matter the journey! 

Edited by MJNewton

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

So that mountain might well become a mole hill afterall? ;)

Room looking great though. Always a great feeling to finally get to the end, no matter the journey! 

Yes yes ok- but 1st time Ive done alot of this, never had sore feet (do again now- so defo the room, cant be ceiling, gotta be floor > carpet like t'other > so > it can only be the cumulus bollocus).. & if if fitter said no can do, Id be looking at £250 min: & that aint no molehill on what I earn.

Thanks, turned out a fantastic room/ space, views. be nice if it was warm mind.. CH got new error code/ heating not working. ffs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Looking good zoot, well done!

Well credit is due to you & Onoff of course joe, & PeterW- huge help.

The wall behind bed's turned out great: alot of time on plastering/ filling, & time will tell if it introduces excessive cold.. but gives me a nice direct link back to the main house, & main room downstairs/ similar walls inside this, & some character: if it was lined, it'd be a 4 straight walled new cube. I think its just gotta stay as is.

• Like 2