Extension- Last Stuff.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Looking good, well done. Can see your multi tasking, three threads on the go at once, iPad, boxing in, ASHP. ?

Thx.. but what a b'stard job boxing these- an utter sod. And I got 2 rooms more of it to do with all the new rads/ pipes mayhem.

I know its all going on at once here joe. I can't really cope tbh.

Did you find your diy doppleganger? gotta be you, surely.

@joe90 joe what do I do here. These 3 skirt bits not glued in yet.

Ok I need to edge the front skirt bit w'summink as it looks odd (I can't continue it on into room- too tricky & no more skirt left, both L&R sides so has to end here). i know its a bit of a compromise.. but will have to do.

Pic will follow/ edit/ gotta jump onto my flippin ipda.. zootmultiflippintaskhorn.

4DA4F7A3-8A14-48E6-9A9B-E2BDFC2C096F.jpeg

EBF2DFA5-47FA-4689-AABB-357DCDE5F57B.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn

32 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@joe90 joe what do I do here. These 3 skirt bits not glued in yet.

Ok I need to edge the front skirt bit w'summink as it looks odd (I can't continue it on into room- too tricky & no more skirt left, both L&R sides so has to end here). i know its a bit of a compromise.. but will have to do.

Pic will follow/ edit/ gotta jump onto my flippin ipda.. zootmultiflippintaskhorn.

4DA4F7A3-8A14-48E6-9A9B-E2BDFC2C096F.jpeg

EBF2DFA5-47FA-4689-AABB-357DCDE5F57B.jpeg

I'd end it like that but put a 45deg chamfer on it.

@Onoff great that's a plan.. but in practice with a router I can only see the bigger 18mm section getting cut/ the profiley bit just gets left as it.

Is that what you had in mind? IE the 45* follow-guide-bearing on the bit will only hit the larger 18mm side.. it'll be above the profiley bit. I think.

Nah, remember my pic way back. The one with the air rifle!!, it’s done like this..... gives a vety professional finish

edit, are you not going to put a door frame in?, that needs to be done before skirting, and the bit you cut off will do the edging ?

image.jpg

Edited by joe90

Right, woodwork masterclass coming up......

A/  cut bottom skirting piece at 45’ through moulding.

B/ from bottom of moulding cut 90’ to base of skirting, remove waste.

C/ from spare piece of skirting 1/ cut 45’ to top.
                                                        2/ Cut along bottom of moulding

3/ cut piece to length

glue piece C where waste was removed .

TAA DAA

image.jpg

On the next project have a look at using skirting blocks. More traditional but as a skirting block is a bit thicker you get a bit of play in the butt joint between the bottom of the door facing and the top of the block, also you get the same where the skirting meets the block. This  cuts you the slack to get the mitres right. Glue them to death and let the shrinkage take place at the block where it is more easy to hide.

While some of these traditional methods may seem like a lot of extra work they were not daft in these days and knew how to work with the materials they had at hand.

@joe90 right Im on board with your idea now.. great thanks for that/ this will be neatest way. Nice idea whoever thought of it too.

These bits of skirt not fixed in yet: plan is to fix in all but the top step piece, as the door frame needs going in before this bit. Ive got carpeter penciled in tues you see.. so I need to do frame, plus put these skirt bits in, paint them all.. before. Jeepers.

@Onoff yes that's what I thiought you meant- I'm left with the annoying 'end' of mdf tho this way, which seems to remain brown mdf'y even after 2 coats of woodpaint unlike joe's idea/ the visible edge primed. thx

6 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff yes that's what I thiought you meant- I'm left with the annoying 'end' of mdf tho this way, which seems to remain brown mdf'y even after 2 coats of woodpaint unlike joe's idea/ the visible edge primed. thx

Use proper MDF primer. It's really good. SWMBO has always insisted I paint anything with it before bringing into the house. Worries over the dust being a carcinogen etc. 

SF used to do their own No Nonsense one which was good:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-mdf-primer-750ml/222FG?

Bedside computer table for my lad out of an old office chair and scrap MDF:

2016-08-28_06-04-09

20161125_212044

20161202_221133

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Nice idea whoever thought of it too.

I did, I just could not face a cut end of skirting. Done it on a few projects fir others when I was working and customers always pleased. Use mitre bond fir the joint and it will set in seconds, bit like super glue for wood, no need to clamp just hold together for 20 seconds and it’s set. You might consider it fir those pieces of skirting down the steps as well! .   +1 on mdf primer.

@Onoff I like that- nice curves. alot of work gone into those bits of mdf blimey. Im gonna have to go w'out the primer.. had to crack on & just have to keep painting the ends. they cant stay brown forever. I hope not to use mdf ever again now tbh/ 2 more cuts.. & I'm done.

Next is the door frame/ monday. Im not looking fwd to this- will refresh/ look back at info on here tmrw.

@joe90 that's impressive/ neat idea. I have mitre bond for these few skirt bits/ joins.

thanks chaps.

I think Ive made a minor error by thinking 'caulking' goes on after painting, used to tidy-off gaps in skirt tops etc.

But just going over 'how to' / 'what is caulk' and other hopelessly basic Q's.. it says caulk before paint. Damn I'm nearing finishing painting all skirts. So what do I do? not caulk at all now?

(Is caulk a noun or a verb/ IE is it a collective term for all white tube stuff silicone frame sealants, bathroom perimiters, and skirt gap gubbins?)

thanks zoot

13 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I think Ive made a minor error by thinking 'caulking' goes on after painting, used to tidy-off gaps in skirt tops etc.

But just going over 'how to' / 'what is caulk' and other hopelessly basic Q's.. it says caulk before paint. Damn I'm nearing finishing painting all skirts. So what do I do? not caulk at all now?

(Is caulk a noun or a verb/ IE is it a collective term for all white tube stuff silicone frame sealants, bathroom perimiters, and skirt gap gubbins?)

thanks zoot

Bit of a generic term I think. Out in NZ it took me a while to figure their word "silastic" they use as we say "silicone". Silastic was original a Dow product in its own right but they now take it to mean anything sticky in a tube. 

"I bought some caulk (noun) and used it to caulk (verb) around the window". 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caulk

Most decorators caulks can be painted over I think. Just touch in the bits if you've caulked after painting. 

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

Bit of a generic term I think. Out in NZ it took me a while to figure their word "silastic" they use as we say "silicone". Silastic was original a Dow product in its own right but they now take it to mean anything sticky in a tube. 

"I bought some caulk (noun) and used it to caulk (verb) around the window". 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caulk

Most decorators caulks can be painted over I think. Just touch in the bits if you've caulked after painting. 

That clears that word up then.. as assumed a generic term. Altho i bought 'decorators caulk' so its specific on this tube. Hmm.

Ok so i run a bead of it along my painted skirt tops, then what i use my corner rubbery shaping thing, to push it home get off the excess and make it all neat ?

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

That clears that word up then.. as assumed a generic term. Altho i bought 'decorators caulk' so its specific on this tube. Hmm.

Ok so i run a bead of it along my painted skirt tops, then what i use my corner rubbery shaping thing, to push it home get off the excess and make it all neat ?

Yep or a baby wipe and wipe all but the tiniest amount off. Only designed to fill the small cracks and seal the edges. 

@joe90 progress so far.. the top step skirt piece not glued in, due to needing to be cut to the door frame/ leaving until.. but other two pieces each side are fixed in. Great idea yours.

Funny single skirt bit rhs.. the inny outy old wall prevented putting skirt all along, i offered it up but had to be a banana bending, not ideal to fix in With this pressure wanting it to spring out, or to carpet to surely. Even splitting into 2 bits dinnae work, a big iffset where they met. So compromised, bed will go next to it, and bedside cabinet covers it this side.. rrhs another something covering the vacancy.

3C3E70DC-5720-4B2C-8F8F-0DEFA34FE600.jpeg

30814DBB-F2D1-4BB2-8F1A-DB9FB43FC6D3.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep or a baby wipe and wipe all but the tiniest amount off. Only designed to fill the small cracks and seal the edges. 

Ah ok. So if i got a 5mm gap running along my boxing.. this stuff not for here then, what instead ?

48494484-4572-4634-AAA2-C2A995472D7F.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn