Extension- Last Stuff.

@PeterW my lower room's in quite a pickle.. shoved it all in for now temp etc/ to make worktops later, would it even be wrong to fit worktops before its signed off I wonder?

Is this acceptable for the BCO to sign off in this state, Or is it rude?

My shelf bit has turned out ideal for cabinets @ 9" d. I also wonder if he,ll pick up on some rendering patchwork needs doing just above it, a bit of damp actually here comes and goes.. its the outside ground level this shelf line you see, shouldn,t be this low of course so would be hidden over, if only......

57F566C6-0BC9-485E-B2E4-7054ECAF1414.jpeg

A039DF90-4C05-4995-92C4-E67D34F12507.jpeg

Im a bit stuck here. ive done my corner pipe boxing, took a whole wknd, but got this pesky pipes gap at btm.. ideally Id box the whole length of pipes in to hide this too, as you would do.. but I just cant face the time it,ll take me, pB plus those wretched placcy cnr strips again/ plaster / sand.. i just cant face it.

So what can i do to finish off here? I guess im painting the flippin pipes, but this still the better option for me, even tho it wont look as good.  Thx zh

E72BEDBB-8E10-4419-A13B-BFC2CEC50BC6.jpeg

E6FBE49F-CE73-4793-9836-C842D445FE19.jpeg

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@joe90 skirt short by 1".. annoyingly so/ thought of this. the only thing in my favour is two 22mm pipes hug the wall.. so if boxing would only need a shallow box., like your pic.

You can get 6" skirting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

That's interesting- I'll call mine & see. Do you think this is maybe a personal decision by each BCO tho? mine mentioned 'you need to get balc done soon' inspecting midway thru once doors just in. I said keys in a drawer downstairs, so not poss to open. He then tried the handle.. & it opened. oops.

I guess a balc tho, esp mine being quite a bit more than just a small addition, needs its handrails/ height/ structure all signed off too tho: how would you get around this? would he come back & sign this bit off later?

The only thing my BCO mentioned was if we abandon the balcony, then there would need to be another means of escape.  There is in our case an opening window next to the door.  If the door was the only means of exit from a bedroom then you would need the balcony in order to be able to use that means of escape.

@joe90 that's an idea that sprung to mind yesterday too, raising the skirt up on a plinth. @Onoff Even up to 6" skirt would still be 1/2" short tho.

I do have to think about boxing these now. Ive just seen its actually impossible to paint the lower pipe, bc top one hampers access.. so it'll always be a poor paint job.

Jeepers I got my work cut out doing this & the frame. Take you guys an afternoon/ me weeks.

Ok so if I buy some 6" skirt, its still got to sit on a plinth. The plinth needs to be -exactly- the same D as skirt, in order to then have something the main skirt attatches to. But I cant see how I can make this plinth so accurately.

Also how does the top 'roof' bit attatch perp to the plinth-?

11 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Also how does the top 'roof' bit attatch perp to the plinth-?

Mitre Bond..??

Have you got a table saw ..? Can always run a length of skirt through the saw to give you the same type of timber and cheaper than finding other stuff. Offcut from the other side ends up on the bottom, carpet will cover any join

@joe90 understand that. But doing it.. for me is not easy tho.

I just thought of 7" skirt, which is a jewson product, but mine doesn't have/ special order (so a huge wait/ no can do).

The only thing I can think of, is using 6" skirt (so I dont have to make a plinth, which I just cant think how I can cut an accurate 18mm off the end of anything, & really it needs to be some same mdf skirt.. plus the dust to do just this 4m cut).. and as I'm 1/2" short, using a piece of white pipe, cut longways in half (how), attatched somehow to inside top of skirt, to bend up over the pipes hiding them.

But this sounds a pretty rubbish idea.

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Mitre Bond..??

Have you got a table saw ..? Can always run a length of skirt through the saw to give you the same type of timber and cheaper than finding other stuff. Offcut from the other side ends up on the bottom, carpet will cover any join

I have mitre bond. Would this be strong enough to attatch a say 9mm not-perfect edge to the skirt tho-? No table saw Peter.

Ive just thought of small L shape metal brackets for this joint.. but it'll have to be a 'floating' roof IE I cannot attatch the other side to wall, as I  don't know where my studs are behind pB.

I can only think how to do this job with 7" skirt.. & it won't be the same profile (plus 2" higher) as the adjacent fitted skirt. So I gotta trawl town for this stuff (& divide into 2x 2.1m/ mitre join back again, to fit it into my car).

Tin foil is good for masking when painting awkward areas. Slip a sheet behind the pipes to protect the wall. Bring out across the floor. Get brush, paint.

You could get a local place to cut up day an 8x4 sheet of 18mm MDF into 7 or 8" or whatever wide strips. Bring it home and route a fancy corner along one edge

Get B@Q to cut some mdf into 7” wide strips plus strips fir top and bottom of boxing, glue and pin it together then no nails to wall. You have a router so route a skirting “like” edge.

edit, he great minds think alike @Onoff

Edited by joe90

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Get B@Q to cut some mdf into 7” wide strips plus strips fir top and bottom of boxing, glue and pin it together then no nails to wall. You have a router so route a skirting “like” edge.

Except I forgot to suggest B&Q! 

2.4m cut lengths should fit in @zoothorn's Golf no problem. 

16 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Hi Joe- you see we only have 3 places, no b&q. Nowhere to ask for a cut (esp mdf- this is a big no-no) & a small town so ltd to 3 build merchants.

I got a plan tho, some other 168mm skirt, if one place has it tho, attatched to 2x1 roof batten (upright) screwd into the silly 3" H skirt already put under pipes. This gives me ideal D to put boxing/ skirt onto. But I only have 3/4" of flat skirt side (the lowest flat side bit of the 3" skirt) to attatch my batten onto > to fix skirt to this.. IE might it be a wobbly 7" side?  maybe then do my bracket thing, with Peter's no nails/ pink grip stuff along the roof edge to wall to sure up any wobblyness of the tall side. If I use 9mm ply for roof it might not add any weight much so can use brackets ok.

Edited by zoothorn

54 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I didn’t  realise (notice) you already had 3” skirting in place.

I dont think it makes too much difference joe. I was asked by CH installers if any skirting in here to do? yes I said, so in order to -just- fit rad in they presumably left me all they could, 3". I didn't know this wasn't the right answer to give them, so they could have put pipes along floor, meaning my boxing could then have the same skirt, attatched to it, as rest of the room does. Now its gonna stand out, 2" higher, plus a different profile bc I cant get 168mm in my profile.

On 26/10/2020 at 10:53, joe90 said:

I didn’t  realise (notice) you already had 3” skirting in place.

Joe, going pretty well/ got my two 168mm H skirt pieces, & 2x1 it fits to, all cut ready to fit tmrw.

My 'roof' long thin bit I've got a plan but if you could cast an opinion. Right, it would be alot easier if I roofed LHS up to the rad....... left a roof gap under the rad (so close to rad no roof wont be seen)....... roof it onwards from RHS of it to wall. So no roof under rad.

Is this gap any concern re. mice? they dont have access to it, apart from across my room: IE no nasty wall cavity pipe holes they can get into the boxing. Do you think they'll walk across my room & go inside my roof gap under rad? it would be kinda cosy in there with the warm pipes.. but its quite a high 'wall' @ 168mm to climb.

(Ref pic is 18 posts back). thx

Btw I found another angle of your face on a diy forum! thx zH

Edited by zoothorn

Zoot, I would not leave a gap, it will get full of fluff flies and anything else and you won’t be able to clean it out. It might be easier to fix “roof” to the skirting before the skirting is fixed.  Do me a quick sketch of what you propose.

what picture, I am not on any other “diy” forum?

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Zoot, I would not leave a gap, it will get full of fluff flies and anything else and you won’t be able to clean it out. It might be easier to fix “roof” to the skirting before the skirting is fixed.  Do me a quick sketch of what you propose.

what picture, I am not on any other “diy” forum?

Well there's another you out there then.. diy 365 or something. You'll have to have words.. mind you it could be a page I dipped into from ~2005.

Aha ok understood. The roof gap would be immediately under the rad, its whole length, either side of it would be the box roof of course.. was my compromise idea/ saves fiddling about under the rad & saves