Extension- Last Stuff.

Hi chaps,

could I get some help on last bits for my extension. All internal build by me: the knock-thru area now done, & so general skirting to consider. 

Not so easy with the steps bit, and rads’ pipes too. Pics (got an iPad!)..

Thanks, Zh.

A6676E91-A81A-41A5-AD25-76432D9747C6.jpeg

A6B56028-BB3E-47AD-BAB7-F222F292A2C8.jpeg

4FE9DA36-294E-49A9-B2DB-882D5684C166.jpeg

For the stairs it depends, are you going to carpet them or leave them bare or what is the plan? If you were going to cover them in carpet or even wood I would make a false stringer - basically tale a piece of 1x8 or something, and cut out the stair part, then sit it over the top so it looks like a normal stringer, you can then leave as is or dress with a piece of bead. cut the ends 90° to the floor and you can then run skirting up to these.

Another option is just cut and fit skirting up and around them all but I think that looks a bit fussy and doesn't look right in general.

If you were say tiling the floor then tile up the wall one tile type thing.

As for the rad pipes... what can I say!

Box in the rad pipes the same height as the skirting - 150mm?  Quite satisfying to do.  Where they come out in the corner, box right to the ceiling.

Those steps look too high.  The top step would be better set down so it is 1/3 the way between levels.  You may need to reduce the bottom step as well so you have 3 risers instead of 2.  If they are not right, sort them out now or you will have to live with it always.

On 04/09/2020 at 11:49, Carrerahill said:

For the stairs it depends, are you going to carpet them or leave them bare or what is the plan? If you were going to cover them in carpet or even wood I would make a false stringer - basically tale a piece of 1x8 or something, and cut out the stair part, then sit it over the top so it looks like a normal stringer, you can then leave as is or dress with a piece of bead. cut the ends 90° to the floor and you can then run skirting up to these.

Another option is just cut and fit skirting up and around them all but I think that looks a bit fussy and doesn't look right in general.

If you were say tiling the floor then tile up the wall one tile type thing.

As for the rad pipes... what can I say!

Hi Carrerahill. Good Q's.. yes I want to carpet the room & continue it up over the stairs. I will look up false stringer/ stringers to see what you are suggesting.

What can you say about the rad pipes?.. indeed!.. what can you say? I need to know what to do. The plumber asked me if I was having skirting, so I said yes, then said would need to be low @ 3" then (I didn't know why). Now rad fitted I assume bc the rad above put any higher would sit above the sill.. not good.

So its what to do with these horizontal pipes. Surely painting them after say 3" skirting fitting is a huge bore/ not what any of you guys would do. But what are alternatives? I assume the upright ones into the wall would -have- to be boxed in-? or any other ideas?

thanks zoot.

10 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Hi Carrerahill. Good Q's.. yes I want to carpet the room & continue it up over the stairs. I will look up false stringer/ stringers to see what you are suggesting.

What can you say about the rad pipes?.. indeed!.. what can you say? I need to know what to do. The plumber asked me if I was having skirting, so I said yes, then said would need to be low @ 3" then (I didn't know why). Now rad fitted I assume bc the rad above put any higher would sit above the sill.. not good.

So its what to do with these horizontal pipes. Surely painting them after say 3" skirting fitting is a huge bore/ not what any of you guys would do. But what are alternatives? I assume the upright ones into the wall would -have- to be boxed in-? or any other ideas?

thanks zoot.

Basically my thinking is you could create the exposed stringer look by making a fake one... it will give the appearance that the stairs are timber build and dress of the sides nicely. You would end up with this - you can leave the top flat wood or dress up if you want, I think it depends on your skirting, I personally would go larger and use the top and bottom of the stringer as a skirting block and just bring my skirting up to it.

stringer.jpg.5405ee2f49a883cd61f61972659053cc.jpg

You did ask, so this is what I will say about the radiator pipes... could you move them? What is under your floor? I see what looks like a joint in caberdeck, is that right? Could you carry those pipes on through the floor, turn under the floor and pop back up at the rad? If I am honest, I think it will be a pain in the neck to change, but I think it will be an even bigger thorn in your side for many years to come as you will have this "odd" bit. 

I'd certianly create a pipe box - ideally in plasterboard and plaster it in and paint it. to almost make it disappear. We have one of these for our central heating pipes in the hall at the front door, you don't really see it as it was boxed in as shallow as possible and plastered at the same time as the hall. 

Other alternatives are just to box it all up and try and hide as much as possible.

@Onoff 's idea of the corner boxing seems good. I just wonder if its not more difficult than a 2 sided boxing tho (I need most effective way to do for a newbie, not what is or what looks the best).

If the pipes across are tucked up near the underside of the rad tho (bc I said "yes theyre'll be skirting" to the plumber before he put rads/ pipes in).. isn't boxing them in a redundant idea tho?

I couldn't face plasterboarding & plastering them in.. I just am shot with the damned plastic corner strips + taper plastering over + neverending sanding; I was hoping never do it in my life again (took me a whole week to do the two vertical ones on the knock-thru area).

• 2 weeks later...

Im struggling a bit for ideas here, on my steps area. What to do etc. All i know is the 2 steps as they are, with added half inch of something carpet or whatever.. are way too big to be comfortable @ 10 " high.

So its a q of adding something to 1st step, then making an added 3rd step on the caber floor in the room. As far as i can establish that is.

Something like the heights ive mocked up here. But as of yet ive no idea whats the best thing to choose to top/ cover the steps let alone how to make or how high, or where exactly.

Seems im way off thinking of how skirting goes along the sides of here yet. Any help appreciated.. zoot.

3CBE7C55-8BAB-4027-80E6-113845650E9D.jpeg

I would want steps equal (and building regs also say this, if they apply). Measure the total height difference and divide by 3 (IMO) and build Up the steps with timber , step depth also equal so new bottom step = middle step depth. Skirting as per @Carrerahill picture above.

Edited by joe90

On 22/09/2020 at 11:43, joe90 said:

I would want steps equal (and building regs also say this, if they apply). Measure the total height difference and divide by 3 (IMO) and build Up the steps with timber , step depth also equal so new bottom step = middle step depth. Skirting as per @Carrerahill picture above.

Hi Joe- thanks for that, yes I was thinking equal steps too. The added middle step I'd think easy enough to fashion.. but the new additional lowest step protruding into room is a bit of a headache me visualising how to make it, & esp what to do with skirting as it now differs from carrerahill's steps eg above. Any ideas?

thanks, zoot

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

How about a curved lower step as in no sharp corners?

Hi Onoff- Wouldn't that mean alot of complication tho.. I like the idea, but how to make/ how to carpet/ 
&

how to again do the skirting thing here: I just can't get my head around this for now whatever shape the step might take.

58 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Feck off, watching tv (actually I can do isometric projection or oblique projection, which would you require ?).

I dig the drawing joe90 thanks. I can't quite follow the idea of skirting finishing before the new lowest step.

The main prob I have with visualising any sloped skirting, is the stuff itself: if I have 5" high stuff around ther room, as I have just done up to the room corner just LHS of the steps, then I assume the idea is to use the same profile skirting.. but well over 2x the height so ~ 12" high? IE once put on the angle the deep bits go right down to the step. But the only skirting I see with my profile.. is 5". TBH Ive never seen 10" or 12" skirting (or whatever is needed, if I'm visualising it right.. likely I'm not) Ive only ever seen max 6" or so. So how on earth this huge angled section is made & from what.. I have no idea.

For eg, in order to make joe90's simple short 2-step piece of angled skirting in his drawing (not that I can follow the idea, of where the skirting finishes.. but it doesn't matter for this question).. in order for there to be skirting from the angled 'top' right down to the "toe area" of the back-most area of the step.. it lookslike I'd need say a good 12" high piecve of skirting to begiin with, in order to lay it on the angle & cut out my 2 step shapes into it.

I just cannot fathom how this angled skirting is made at all.

Just now, joe90 said:

Right mate, photo of how I finish end skirtings, 45’ cut through top moulding and plant on end piece. Also need to plant on (glue) additional wood to make depth required. Hope this makes sense?

image.jpg

Sorry joe.. I'm totally lost. I've no idea what/ where this ^ small piece might refer to. totally lost.

Can I please just go back one step.

I just need to 1st understand how this side-of-stairs-angled-skirting is made (IE what can it possibly be made from??) before I decide on choices (if I have any) or details (if this is what is suggested with the photo).

Then I can go from there. thanks

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I just cannot fathom how this angled skirting is made at all.

Just make the steps first then make a cardboard template of what you require fir skirting and post a pic here and I will talk you through it. ?

Get your steps sorted first, and worry about the skirting later.  You could always put some architrave around the doorway and run the skirting straight up to that, independent of the steps.  You've done some great quality work; have confidence and make it up as you go along like the rest of us! ?

I just require (very roughly/ just as a basic working plan) the same as carrerahill's angled side "look".

Now assuming the stuff used there, is standard skirting, then it looks he's taken a 10" high x 12ft loooooooooong piece of skirting, & cut a series of "teeth, or triangles" all along.. so when tilted up these triangles become the outline of steps.

That -must- and -can only- be the way this piece of angled side skirting was made. Surely I can't have this incorrect.

Ok if I'm right, then he used 10" or so high skirting in order to make this piece (or maybe even 12"). But I do not see this sold.

The same profile as the rest of the room (I assume the idea is to match it all around, not have 2 different profiles meeting) means I am restricted in height to 5". So how on earth do I make my angled side skirting piece from this??