Cost for good quality triple glazing

joe90

Well guys Just got my quote for windows etc for my new build and would like your comments. Basically 14 windows and two 2.4 Mtr French doors and one oak (insulated) front door and frame ,approx 23 sq metres, triple glazing giving a u value on 1.0, all built from Occoya and spray painted . £24,360 already agreed a delivery time of three months, has done work for my builder before and highly rated by him. We hear of so many projects getting delayed or just cocked up by widow problems that I get a good feel for this company. Discuss please.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 2

Did you just get the one quote?

I had about 6 quotes in the end, with Internorm being the most expensive at double the cheapest. Rationel were cheapest and only very slightly poorer than Internorm in terms of Uw values.

I chose aluminium clad, as sanding and painting or varnishing wooden windows is something i wish to consign the the "used to do that" pile.

I ended up paying £8.5K for 10 windows, two single doors and one double door pair.

• Like 2

Yes, so far. We are going " cottage" in a big way and I hate painting so thought pre painting with 8 year warranty was a good option for the windows. I think rationel are next on my list. Thanks.

Seems on the high side to me, I've had 5 quotes so far  for alu clad 3g,  43sqm glazing  comprising 17 windows 3.4 & 3.0 meter sliders and 2 doors

Internorm 23,200, 29,700 fitted 

Katzbeck  22,150

Gaulhofer 26,300 + 6k fitting

Velfac     17,200

ideal combi  16,500

Going to have a look at Hon windows, sold through DSL in Truo next week but will probably go with Internom ,they are just so nice and the good lady likes them as well and that's priceless

• Like 1

Our windows are 68m2 and even the most expensive was not that much. Internorm were around £22k for PCV framed aluclad, but Rationel, Janex, Velfac and Nordan were all in the £16-20k bracket before any final bargaining took place. 

Are you procuring or your builder? If your builder, then steer clear and let them deal with it all and pay for nothing until satisfied. 

You may have read about our woes elsewhere - we are almost there but it's been tough going. 

• Like 1

Have you looked at jeldwen.

We had them in the last house and although typical builders merchant windows they do come in 3g. They were our fall back option. Currently looking at munster who are about 20% less than Rational after their "ok we will match it discount" Munster will only deal with house builders not self builders.

Didn't know about Scotland but our price included fitting and was still cheaper than all the others.

Some people question the quality but we went to factory and could see nothing wrong with them. 

Rational came close once we found a supplier that was reliable( Enlightened Windows) but once you add delivery, fitting and Cills they were outside our budget for passive Aluclad 3G

@joe90, just in the process of getting our windows priced - once all the errors in the Windows and Doors Schedule are corrected - (trickle vents in a passivhaus, I kid you not). So this thread is perfectly timed. 47.66 square meters worth - so thanks @Mr Punter @Stones, @jamiehamy, and @dimpsy for the guide prices.

Ian

• Like 2

I just looked at my Rationel quote for 3g Auraplus aluclad in a "yuk" green colour,Tilt and turn system

60m2 came in at £357 per m2 that includes 3 large lift and slide patio doors and 3 doors including a double entrance door. On top of this was fitting at £75m2 and cills (no price given)

• Like 1

Our experience with IdealCombi has been good (other than the delivery, which took 3 attempts before their logistics outfit found a vehicle with a moffat). We had 9 windows varying in size from 685x1350 to 2700x3225, 3 french doors and one sliding door 3600x2100. This was about £425/m2, for triple glazed, aluminium/PU/stained timber, with a combined U value of 0.9.

They are beautifully engineered but need careful attention to detailing and sizing. They are virtually frameless, in that the opening sashes only have 10-15 space all round to the brickwork. It was tight in a TF building, but could be a problem in brick and block.

IMG_4153 Front.jpg

• Like 1

Joe is your quote really over £1000/sq metre? That's ridiculous. Sounds like they are a little bespoke, but painted hardwood isn't particularly unusual.

Looking at my quotes for a very large area of windows I am just below £300/sq metre ex fitting for alu clad 3G. This seems to fit in with the amounts suggested above.

• Like 1

Yes one and all, quite an eye opener. This thread is so very typical of the profound "real life knowledge" that you guys out there have. Yes Ian my architect also told the window chap to include trickle vents, beggars belief really, his fee is the one I so very much regret paying as I don't believe he has earnt it at all. Next job is to write a spreadsheet with the window spec and list  potential manufacturers to get quotes from. Frankly I would not mind paying a small percentage over the top for local business but I am not a charity.

keep the info coming guys, hope it helps others as well.

• Like 2

As some have stated it is often hard to get like for like quotes. Look out for the delivery costs as well as cills not being included and sealing tapes and foams not being included.

Do you want a site visit to confirm measurements or order off plan.

Will they come out at the air test stage to seal any leaks found when testing. 

My preferred supplier include all theses as standard which actually makes them very good value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dogman said:

As some have stated it is often hard to get like for like quotes. Look out for the delivery costs as well as cills not being included and sealing tapes and foams not being included.

Do you want a site visit to confirm measurements or order off plan.

Will they come out at the air test stage to seal any leaks found when testing. 

My preferred supplier include all theses as standard which actually makes them very good value.

Good point dogman, I like the term compare apples with apples. Personally I want supply only and most of my windows are one size so tempted to get quotes for ten times one size ( with a caveat that the final order will be slightly different), once the price vs quality and type is sorted then you have your supplier who can give you a final price for exactly what you want.  This is my job tomorrow, let the fun begin.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Another one for the database:

£4,800 supplied and fitted

Rehau Upvc system with 3G 44mm units using their standard (dark grey coloured) 5 chamber 70mm frame. Combined 0.8 U value. Price included for 6 'normal' windows, 2 french doors (fully glazed) and 1No front door.

Total area 18.5sq.m.

£259/sq.m.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Velfac 29 windows and one door inc 9 French doors and a 3.6m * 4.5m screen. Lots of individual panes which really drives the cost on this system.

Triple glazed. £17k 

Great windows, really pleased, borderline incompetent around supplies some minor fittings. Installation training was a few hundred quid, however they forgot to invoice.. negotiated a refund of a couple of hundred for hassle with this.

• Like 1