Roof tiles

zorang

Hello people, this is my firs tread on this forumI

I enjoy doing DIY job when I know how to do it. Saying that I'm relatively new to roofing and I only done flashing/pointing/valley repairs in the past. 

live in 1920's terraced house with gable roof.
I've just finished re roofing the back of my house (garden side) using the mix old plain concrete tiles (cleaned thoroughly) and lots of new ones as well. I replaced all the battens as well as re-beded the verge and the ridge tiles and done repointing as well as new lead flashing.
Now I'm about to do the front of the house and I would like to ask you for your opinion. 
I found a batch of new plain dreadnought clay tiles on eBay selling cheap. 
Would it be okay to reroof the front of the house using all new clay tiles similar in colour? 
I've seen properties which have newer extensions done with clay tiles while parts of the house still have concrete tiles on.
Thanks

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/roofing-job-moved-from-forum-information.552090/#ixzz6Wv8implT

Welcome to THE forum for self builders and other like minded types. I suppose that as long as you have thought through how the ridge will be done, IE which pattern of tile, or neither, will be the ridge be and how will it sit on the different tiles, and also assuming that there are no conservation area issues you should get away with it.

If it’s terraced house, how will the tiles tie in with the neighbours, do they have a small plain tile or are they concrete ?

lots more work with plain tiles, concrete interlocking are quick, but if your neighbours are still on small tiles you will need a hidden gutter join where the old meet the new. 

31 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If it’s terraced house, how will the tiles tie in with the neighbours, do they have a small plain tile or are they concrete ?

lots more work with plain tiles, concrete interlocking are quick, but if your neighbours are still on small tiles you will need a hidden gutter join where the old meet the new. 

At my 1st, mid terrace house, one neighbour had Redland tiles, the other Marley. My house was tiled in one or the other (can't recall which). So one side interlocked with the neighbour (different colour mind). The other side at the Marley/Redland join was just finished with cemented on ridge tiles. 

Originally the whole terrace would have been slated but as years went by successive owners reroofed with whatever. 

My house didn't have purlins to support the new, heavier concrete tiles!

Should be a law against it all! ?

12 hours ago, zorang said:

Hello people, this is my firs tread on this forumI

I enjoy doing DIY job when I know how to do it. Saying that I'm relatively new to roofing and I've only done flashing/pointing/valley repairs in the past. 

I live in 1920's terraced house with gable roof.

I've just finished re-roofing the back of my house (garden side) using a mix old plain concrete tiles (cleaned thoroughly) and lots of new ones as well. I replaced all the battens as well as re-beded the verge and the ridge tiles and re-pointed it as well as new lead flashing.

Now I'm about to do the front of the house and I would like to ask you for your opinion. 

I found a batch of new plain dreadnought clay tiles on eBay selling cheap. Would it be okay to re-roof the front of the house using all new clay tiles similar in colour? 

I've seen properties which have newer extensions done with clay tiles while parts of the house still have concrete tiles on.

Thanks

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/roofing-job-moved-from-forum-information.552090/#ixzz6Wv8implT

You can do anything to be honest, bearing in mind weights, but, is it worth it and is it really saving you money. Unless you have a huge roof expanse needing 1000's and 1000's of tiles then I'd just be looking for the right tiles and doing it properly - you will look back and regret it I reckon.

Edited by Carrerahill

Many thanks for the reply Carrerahill!  I need about 2,000 tiles for the whole job.did you mean I'll regret it doing it in clay tile instead of the plain concrete ones?

Clay tiles are new and never ben used and are the same size.

43 minutes ago, zorang said:

Many thanks for the reply Carrerahill!  I need about 2,000 tiles for the whole job.did you mean I'll regret it doing it in clay tile instead of the plain concrete ones?

Clay tiles are new and never ben used and are the same size.

What is on the back of your house and what are you proposing for the front in terms of tile names and colours? Do they look near enough the same? I was under the impression that you would end up with a Frankenstein roof. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1