Ordering front door without lock

Dreadnaught

I just heard from Idealcombi that it is possible to order my front door without any handle or lock.

Idealcombi's standard look is an oval one common in Denmark but harder to get in the UK and so getting keys might be a problem. Furthermore, if I ever wanted to replace the lock with, for example, a smart lock then it might be impossible.

• Could anyone foresee any problems adding my own handle and lock to such a flush-panel door?
  • What are the common locks used in the UK? Would fitting a Euro cylinder barrel lock be a sensible idea?

Thanks @ProDave.

Idealcombi says the door without the lock would be completely blank, no oval-shaped hole. They said "the flush panel door can be supplied ‘on hinges only’ and then the door won’t have any holes for cylinder – just clear flush panel door + frame."

I did indeed ask about the Eurolock but sadly not possible.

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

Idealcombi's standard look is an oval one common in Denmark but harder to get in the UK and so getting keys might be a problem. Furthermore, if I ever wanted to replace the lock with, for example, a smart lock then it might be impossible.

not sure why you are struggling as these are pretty common units - Locks Online sell replacement cylinders for about £20

Does it not have the three/five point locking mechanism on the door? And would supplying it without security measures have any impact with building control? 

(I know doors here should be PAS24 rated or secure by design off the top of my head) But you'd imagine that the whole locking mechanism would then have to be added which can add a bit of cost!

• Thanks 1

cant see why this is an issue at all TBH.  We have just received our front door from howdans and they come as standard with no lock, or hole for the lock (we also ordered the lock, hinge, etc we wanted).  Frame, door and locks will be fitted and all's good. Cant ever see how BC would know or care if the door was supplied without the lock pre-fitted. Lock / hinges have the relevant security marks, so alls good

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. 

@PeterW, as I am learning, Scandinavian oval-profile locks are slightly larger than standard UK oval ones (20mm vs 18mm). You can indeed get Scandinavian oval-profile locks here in the UK (for about £50) but they are rare in the UK. Moreover oval-profile locks in general are less common globally, which means smart locks are not usually made to fit them.

@the_r_sole, thanks. Good points about multi-point & security.

@redtop, thanks. Good to hear.

Ok so you’re talking about ASSA profile locks - just search for those as they are common. 

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=scandinavian+cylinders&fi=p

Also, if you order the blank only you will struggle to fit a multipoint system to that on site - they are factory fit and need routing jigs to fit and I would not like to try without. 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Ok so you’re talking about ASSA profile locks - just search for those as they are common. 

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=scandinavian+cylinders&fi=p

Also, if you order the blank only you will struggle to fit a multipoint system to that on site - they are factory fit and need routing jigs to fit and I would not like to try without. 

agree that would be really difficult. we have gone with a standard mortice lock due to being in the middle of our own 2 acre site so the main security are the access gates, not the front door. Also really really crap access helps deter thieves lol

have you ever had a door lock fail on you?

I'm not sure how much of a worry it really is?

More often than not you can find replacement keys for any lock, and it's not that regular an occurrence to be replacing the locking cylinders? Maybe you could ask ideal combi to add a couple to your order and then you've got some redundancy built in?

I'd certainly want a factory finished item with all the right eurocode's/BS and warranty etc...

2 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

have you ever had a door lock fail on you?

I'm not sure how much of a worry it really is?

Actually that main motivation is regarding installing a smart lock in the future and for which having an uncommon lock-type will be a hinderance.

Good points all, thank you!

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

Actually that main motivation is regarding installing a smart lock in the future and for which having an uncommon lock-type will be a hinderance.

Good points all, thank you!

If you figure out how do get a smart lock to drive a multipoint locking mechanism I'd be interested to know what/how!

11 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Good point!

I looked into it for a little bit as I'd really like to get a smart lock for my house (rationel front door) but there didn't seem to be any easy solutions to have one which could open and lock a mechanism like that (you know where you have to lift the handle upwards to engage the locks and seals properly)

7 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

If you figure out how do get a smart lock to drive a multipoint locking mechanism I'd be interested to know what/how!

I have a 3 point motorised lock and Videx door entry.  I guess there may be a way of adding remote access.

• Like 1