Marley 40mm Waste Fitting

Onoff

39 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You have half a trap there. I doubt you will buy half a trap anywhere.

Just buy a whole trap, P or S to suit.  the fitting where it joins to the sink waste should be the same regardless.

You'd have thought that wouldn't you. This Floplast one would fit except the ID on the grey is 39mm but the male of the Floplast is 40/41mm. Going to try and gently run a Starrett down it. Pita.

20200901_160935.thumb.jpg.f9fadf73a05f485f333de434beb582d6.jpg

And whilst I made a lovely job of thinning down the white male bit of the Floplast fitting to go into the grey female section:

20200902_171239.thumb.jpg.ebfa63187b394671b06b0ef22f2d0687.jpg

20200902_171248.thumb.jpg.9cfd7379fa5ed3eded9e086355aa46e4.jpg

...the big white nut on the P trap won't engage with the threads on the grey. Gets so tight then loosens. So you can't compress the black rubber washer...So it leaks:

IMG-20200902-WA0019.thumb.jpeg.f82f5e4f2ce2c2652f62ce50d82a482a.jpeg

Bloody incompatible brands! 

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I thought you would have checked the nit fitted right at the start.

Wrap thread on grey section with ptfe tape to pack it out somewhat?

CT1

It seemed to start to go on OK so I didn't try and nut it fully up until now.

Zeems like @dpmiller hit the nail on the head that it's a Euro size.

Edited by Onoff

So neither Marley, Floplast or McAlpine p traps fit onto the grey waste. 

Neither did the BSP to Euro adapter that @wozza suggested! Nearest yet tbh but you tighten it so far and it slips.

ae235.jpeg.2031b2c0e87da1497f81721abbd3a7ab.jpeg

So...I sawed off 70mm off the telescopic insert then sawed off the threaded section of the adapter and used that as the locknut itself. That I had to drill out with a 40mm Starrett, then sandpaper to fit over the pipe. This after Starretting down the male insert so it fitted into the grey.

IMG-20200905-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.6e9c4656989d9ba8c2be6c8719811001.jpeg

It ended up looking like this:

IMG-20200905-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.b4de1fb2e1a2092783caa3bdee13077d.jpeg

.....and it still f***ing leaked!

Backed it off, cleaned the Jet Blue Plus off of everything and whacked in some Forever White silicone.

Seems to be holding.....

And then.....I found the main sink was bodged exactly the same way originally. 

I have just had a similar problem with my Geberit vanity unit and in the end I binned all the fittings from the basin waste and supplied traps/pipework ( it is a double vanity) and bought a horizontal narrow drop trap and uk pipework

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have just had a similar problem with my Geberit vanity unit and in the end I binned all the fittings from the basin waste and supplied traps/pipework ( it is a double vanity) and bought a horizontal narrow drop trap and uk pipework

Had a similar issue with my Geberit wall drain. The whole 50mm/2", inside/outside dimension lark.

20170827_102601

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

Was it a UK supplied item ..? There are standard adapters available from Geberit for this sort of thing if you’ve got an EU supplied unit. 

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

So neither Marley, Floplast or McAlpine p traps fit onto the grey waste. 

IMG-20200905-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.6e9c4656989d9ba8c2be6c8719811001.jpeg

It ended up looking like this:

IMG-20200905-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.b4de1fb2e1a2092783caa3bdee13077d.jpeg

.....and it still f***ing leaked!

Backed it off, cleaned the Jet Blue Plus off of everything and whacked in some Forever White silicone.

Seems to be holding.....

And then.....I found the main sink was bodged exactly the same way originally. 

Is that an IKEA sink ..? Looks like the ones that they supply and it’s better just paying the £8 or so and buying their traps. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

Was it a UK supplied item ..? There are standard adapters available from Geberit for this sort of thing if you’ve got an EU supplied unit. 

Yes I tried those. Basically the basin waste was one of those that you could not close to fill the sink so changed that to a UK captive type. Then I thought I will use the pipework (cheap/tacky that it was) and this would not connect to the uk captive waste, similar to @Onoffso at this point just chucked the lot out and used uk set up.

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

Is that an IKEA sink ..? Looks like the ones that they supply and it’s better just paying the £8 or so and buying their traps. 

Thanks, I'll look for an Ikea label. Sod's Law even if it is, then the white waste pipes will be at the wrong height. They come through the back of the cupboard in tight fitting drilled holes. 

I have a grey trap set that lets go every 12 months or so and floods the cupboard. 

The hassle/benefit in changing it is so marginal, it’s been there 5 years and counting. I finally fixed the outlet pipe to the wall outside this summer so I’m hoping that less movement at the grey/white interface will reduce the frequency of failure. But it’s not that joint that fails.

Obviously my kitchen fitter was a real pro and his MO is to somehow squeeze the size of the white pipe so it wedges into the joint. 

Here: 

Its the joint at the shirt leg of the U-bend that lets go.

Edited by daiking

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Found one of these yesterday slow to drain with water sitting in the basin for ages. Some bio digester the day before helped a bit. Chock full of cotton buds wedged vertically ?

918063555_ae235(1).jpeg.835220f46c5c41167852abbe5083e223.jpeg

I don’t like those, too easily blocked and not easy to get off if the lower pipe is fixed.